Confirmed with Link: Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good point about Ulfie being in a 'Robinson' situation, though Larry was a very heady defensive player, always thought of as having a career as a coach even when he was playing. Don't forget he also was mentoring Mcsorely, Blake and Sydor(briefly) his last few years with the Kings, then coached Mattias Norstrom when he was traded to the Kings and Larry was coaching there in the mid 90's.

I like Ulfie's ability to coach our D's better than I like his potential to be a HC.

Our D's all have ability, but they have all more or less been really cautious under Torts. Staal and his coaches has talked about Marc hitting more, we have seen very few hits from Staal. Or McD or Girardi. Everyone have practised "gap controll" 999 times of 1.000. Ulfie will push the D's in these areas. Hitting from D's is important in hockey to force the other team to keep their heads up, and Ulfie will not take a D as "flat" as the one's Torts iced.

Offensively, we have -- two -- areas where Torts really handcuffed his D's:

1. The breakout pass. Torts puts a winger up ice along the boards and asked his D's to get the puck into the area of that player no matter what. More often than not our D's would just shoot the puck from our own ice aiming at that player. The intent was only to get the puck up ice.

We were often more or less brain dead with the puck, Marc Staal and McD included. Several times per game you end up in situations on the ice where both teams are changing. Nothing odd. There are really only 2 or 3 players for 3-4 seconds on the ice who are paying attention to the play. In those situations we would routinely just skate the puck up ice and dump it in. Those are plays that I just could not for the life of me understand. We dumped the puck in without a single player in position to go after it -- AND -- in a situations where we weren't pressured what-so-ever. Our D's had a choice on the ice; (i) stand still in their own end for 2-3 sec waiting for our players to get on ice and start an organized attack or (ii) give the puck away for no reason and let the other team take the play against us. You could understand the thinking behind (ii) if you played NJD in 2001, but in the game today? AV and Ulfie will certainly be on the same page here, if a D of our's just gives the puck to the other team without even remotely being pressured, they will get on his back instantly.

2. Moving the puck laterally on the offensive blueline. I was really dissapointed with our D's ability to move the puck laterally on the offensive blueline. All better D's does it in the NHL, and our D's aren't stiffs. We were really below avg at getting shots through from the blueline, defenders just gets in the shooting lane these days and unless you can make the defenders move E-W before a shot is taken, pucks won't get through. Especially Staal and McD can skate, but like Girardi is no Colin White either. But -- none -- of them ever managed to fetch a pass along the boards and move the puck 6-9 feets laterally to get an open shooting lane (or passing lane) and blast away. Then McD finally made a play like that, and you could hear Torts -- being mic'ed on the bench -- go "I do not like that play"...

Torts loved declaring his players brain dead. If you try to move the puck laterally on the blueline in the wrong situation, it can cost you a break away. So what does a coach do? This is a great example of what Torts and coaching is about. Torts "banned" his players from making those plays. Ulfie and AV will without any doubt get on a players back if he makes that play in the wrong situation, but they will also want demand that their players make those plays -- when they have time to do so.

People don't understand what AV means when he says that he wants his team to play the "right way". As a former hockey player, and in light of what we previously had under Torts, its very easy to understand what he means. Continuity and conformity is extremely important in hockey. Torts brought down the bar extremely low, and hence got everyone on the same page. Two seasons ago, we saw the positive side of it. But also the negative side. We never really played good hockey. We won the East, but when we played our best hockey we were still not like better than the 8th-7th seed,

But when bringing the bar down as low as Torts did, you get situations like this:
Torts- "McD I do not like that play."
McD- "But coach, I was alone on the ice and had an ocean infront of me before the first forechecker!?"
Torts- "I do not like it."
McD- "But what am I supposed to do, just give the puck away?"
Torts- "Move the puck up ice as fast as possible, how hard can it be? **** ** *** ***."

Under AV and Ulfie, we will have coaches who will require their D's to make plays with the puck when they have time to do so.

I am really familiar with Alexander Edler. I saw him play from when he was 14-15 y/o, and have then seen him on a regular basis. He in no way what-so-ever have more natrual talent than Marc Staal or Ryan McDonagh. Still Edler today is a much better offensive D than both Staal and McD. Heck, Edler is probably a top 15-25 PPQB in the NHL, while Staal and McD so far has yet to even handle that spot on a somewhat regular basis. That is definitely the result of a coach who has completely banned his players from in any way trying to expand their register on the ice. I think Torts really helped especially McD (and Sauer) to establish themselves in the NHL. I think McD was much farther behind being "NHL ready" when he broke into the league than the every day fan realized. But Torts put him in a environment where he could just play a certain way on the ice and get by, and McD then built on that in a hurry. Torts without any doubt deserves cred for that. But then the D's under Torts just instantly leveled out offensively.

I am not at all sure how fast Ulfie and AV can get through to the D's and especially learn them and make them feeling comfortable with all of a sudden being expect to make plays with the puck. It could take years, not month's. But in these areas, they will really help in the long run.

As for Ulf, in all these areas, like I've said above, I think he will help greatly. I haven't been blown away by his work as a HC in Sweden though. He has paid his dues as a coach. He has been around the game forever. But with him it comes down to his character for good and bad. He has a tremendous character, he is a unique human being, but I just never got the sense that he was able to channel that character into his coaching work. Sometimes it felt like he coached because he didn't know anything else to do. For someone like Dallas Drake, I am sure he sees coaching as something that could be what he thinks back on when everything is said and done. The same with AV. Ulfie's strength has always been his character, I've never noticed any indication of him not putting in the work -- but -- I don't think he has been able to channel his strength, his character, into coaching to the extent that he could become a world class coach.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Maybe Lacroix can suit up a few games. The bottom six could use his grit.

I remember him always chewing on his mouthpiece. On the bench, in a scrum, during a stoppage, skating full stride, didn't make a difference.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
I like Ulfie's ability to coach our D's better than I like his potential to be a HC.

Our D's all have ability, but they have all more or less been really cautious under Torts. Staal and his coaches has talked about Marc hitting more, we have seen very few hits from Staal. Or McD or Girardi. Everyone have practised "gap controll" 999 times of 1.000. Ulfie will push the D's in these areas. Hitting from D's is important in hockey to force the other team to keep their heads up, and Ulfie will not take a D as "flat" as the one's Torts iced.

Offensively, we have -- two -- areas where Torts really handcuffed his D's:

1. The breakout pass. Torts puts a winger up ice along the boards and asked his D's to get the puck into the area of that player no matter what. More often than not our D's would just shoot the puck from our own ice aiming at that player. The intent was only to get the puck up ice.

We were often more or less brain dead with the puck, Marc Staal and McD included. Several times per game you end up in situations on the ice where both teams are changing. Nothing odd. There are really only 2 or 3 players for 3-4 seconds on the ice who are paying attention to the play. In those situations we would routinely just skate the puck up ice and dump it in. Those are plays that I just could not for the life of me understand. We dumped the puck in without a single player in position to go after it -- AND -- in a situations where we weren't pressured what-so-ever. Our D's had a choice on the ice; (i) stand still in their own end for 2-3 sec waiting for our players to get on ice and start an organized attack or (ii) give the puck away for no reason and let the other team take the play against us. You could understand the thinking behind (ii) if you played NJD in 2001, but in the game today? AV and Ulfie will certainly be on the same page here, if a D of our's just gives the puck to the other team without even remotely being pressured, they will get on his back instantly.

2. Moving the puck laterally on the offensive blueline. I was really dissapointed with our D's ability to move the puck laterally on the offensive blueline. All better D's does it in the NHL, and our D's aren't stiffs. We were really below avg at getting shots through from the blueline, defenders just gets in the shooting lane these days and unless you can make the defenders move E-W before a shot is taken, pucks won't get through. Especially Staal and McD can skate, but like Girardi is no Colin White either. But -- none -- of them ever managed to fetch a pass along the boards and move the puck 6-9 feets laterally to get an open shooting lane (or passing lane) and blast away. Then McD finally made a play like that, and you could hear Torts -- being mic'ed on the bench -- go "I do not like that play"...

Torts loved declaring his players brain dead. If you try to move the puck laterally on the blueline in the wrong situation, it can cost you a break away. So what does a coach do? This is a great example of what Torts and coaching is about. Torts "banned" his players from making those plays. Ulfie and AV will without any doubt get on a players back if he makes that play in the wrong situation, but they will also want demand that their players make those plays -- when they have time to do so.

People don't understand what AV means when he says that he wants his team to play the "right way". As a former hockey player, and in light of what we previously had under Torts, its very easy to understand what he means. Continuity and conformity is extremely important in hockey. Torts brought down the bar extremely low, and hence got everyone on the same page. Two seasons ago, we saw the positive side of it. But also the negative side. We never really played good hockey. We won the East, but when we played our best hockey we were still not like better than the 8th-7th seed,

But when bringing the bar down as low as Torts did, you get situations like this:
Torts- "McD I do not like that play."
McD- "But coach, I was alone on the ice and had an ocean infront of me before the first forechecker!?"
Torts- "I do not like it."
McD- "But what am I supposed to do, just give the puck away?"
Torts- "Move the puck up ice as fast as possible, how hard can it be? **** ** *** ***."

Under AV and Ulfie, we will have coaches who will require their D's to make plays with the puck when they have time to do so.

I am really familiar with Alexander Edler. I saw him play from when he was 14-15 y/o, and have then seen him on a regular basis. He in no way what-so-ever have more natrual talent than Marc Staal or Ryan McDonagh. Still Edler today is a much better offensive D than both Staal and McD. Heck, Edler is probably a top 15-25 PPQB in the NHL, while Staal and McD so far has yet to even handle that spot on a somewhat regular basis. That is definitely the result of a coach who has completely banned his players from in any way trying to expand their register on the ice. I think Torts really helped especially McD (and Sauer) to establish themselves in the NHL. I think McD was much farther behind being "NHL ready" when he broke into the league than the every day fan realized. But Torts put him in a environment where he could just play a certain way on the ice and get by, and McD then built on that in a hurry. Torts without any doubt deserves cred for that. But then the D's under Torts just instantly leveled out offensively.

I am not at all sure how fast Ulfie and AV can get through to the D's and especially learn them and make them feeling comfortable with all of a sudden being expect to make plays with the puck. It could take years, not month's. But in these areas, they will really help in the long run.

As for Ulf, in all these areas, like I've said above, I think he will help greatly. I haven't been blown away by his work as a HC in Sweden though. He has paid his dues as a coach. He has been around the game forever. But with him it comes down to his character for good and bad. He has a tremendous character, he is a unique human being, but I just never got the sense that he was able to channel that character into his coaching work. Sometimes it felt like he coached because he didn't know anything else to do. For someone like Dallas Drake, I am sure he sees coaching as something that could be what he thinks back on when everything is said and done. The same with AV. Ulfie's strength has always been his character, I've never noticed any indication of him not putting in the work -- but -- I don't think he has been able to channel his strength, his character, into coaching to the extent that he could become a world class coach.

This is a great post. I really hope you are right, the rangers always seemed like a 3 forward/ 2 defenseman unit. Never really operating as a 5man unit on the ice

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
His dad is a pal of Slats.

I think he qualifies on his own merits nowadays though... ;)

that was the first thing i thought of too hoping it wasn't the reason for the hire...

but hard to judge the hiring without really knowing what misc task he'll be handling

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
that was the first thing i thought of too hoping it wasn't the reason for the hire...

but hard to judge the hiring without really knowing what misc task he'll be handling

Yeah, but on surface he also seems like a great fit as the nr. 3 assistent. Great funny guy. He is "only" 44 y/o, but has played 21 years of professional hockey and been behind the bench in the NHL for a just a little under 500 games. His father was a very succesful GM in the NHL.

He will know the ins and outs of what to watch for.

Gordie Clarke has also been in the same org as him before so he isn't completely own known to us as an assistent.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Massachusetts native Yandle concedes he was too offensive-minded in his first three seasons. "I did start off young and reckless," he said.

Yandle said he has learned much from assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson, a former NHL player who was known for his combative and stay-at-home defensive style. Learning defensive positioning from Samuelsson is like learning chess from a grandmaster.

"He has really helped me out by getting me to keep it simple defensively and then get up in the play," Yandle said.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/coyotes/2011-02-08-yandle-defense_N.htm

Michael Del Zotto, He isn't reckless. You do want to see him get up in the play more and join the rush. All of the D.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I don't understand the Arniel hire 1 bit.

I have an idea, let's get someone who doesn't get along/click with 2 of our 3 best forwards!! oooh let's get Scott Arniel.....

I don't get it..

If Brass and/or Nash start slow, or seem like uncomfortable, I want this clown fired ASAP.

If our PP doesn't show improve drastically by Thanksgiving, I want this clown fired ASAP.

Here is a quote I found on The Blue Jacket's board. It's a tread about Vinny Prospal.
"Vinny has made an impact on the other players and the coaching staff while here. He called out Arniel on the half-arse practices, Dorse has credited him for his increased offense, and he sets a great example for the youngsters like Johansen."
I believe there was more, but don't have the time to read the hole tread again.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1366595

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Can someone more knowledgeable explain the difference between an associate coach and an assistant coach?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Pay.

Technically, Arniel will be second in charge.

It's actually going to be Ulf.

Arniel and Lacroix are listed as Associates, while Ulf is the only Assistant. I think he's going to have the highest pay.

Kind of makes sense, considering he has the most responsibilites. PK and Defense vs PP vs eye in the sky?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's actually going to be Ulf.

Arniel and Lacroix are listed as Associates, while Ulf is the only Assistant. I think he's going to have the highest pay.

Kind of makes sense, considering he has the most responsibilites. PK and Defense vs PP vs eye in the sky?
https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/367662194831273985

OFFICIAL: #NYR name Scott Arniel as their new Associate Coach. Former #NYR Ulf Samuelsson & Daniel Lacroix re-join team as Assistant Coaches

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
just outlines that the ONLY responsibility Arniel has is PP, unless (i assume) Ulf requests his assistance on PK
Arniel will work with the forwards too.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/event/314

Guest: well they all have NHL experience and are different personalities...Arniel will handle PP and Ulf the PK, so that is big change from last few seasons...Ulf will work with d-men and bring and demand an intensity from the group...Arniel will be more with the forwards...Lacroix is a great guy, but can also be very intense...he will be eye in the sky during games

Ulfie when asked what he thought was ideal--'No one screening the goaltender--no one getting the rebounds'.
Nice to know he hasn't watched NHL hockey since he retired...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad