Seravalli: Ask for Gavrikov starts with 2021 return for Savard

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He’s definitely better than Chiarot. Savard was already declining in 2021 but had some residue veteran name moxy from his prime.

Doesn’t mean Gavrikov is guaranteed to get more. But I’d definitely expect a late first or equivalent prospect back. Or second and real nice prospect.

I think Manson is a better comp to be honest. Tough but with some mobility, overextended as a top pair guy on a bad team but looks like nails as a second pairing guy on a good team.
You have to remember that Chairot was being looked at as a Stanley Cup finals veteran who can play top pair. Florida paid #2 defenseman price to get him. They overpaid, he floundered, and now everyone knows he is a 2nd pair guy at best. I wouldn't say that Gavrikov is looked upon as being better than Chairot was.

I might the Manson price for him if I was desperate. I wouldn't pay the Chairot or Savard price. Not when a 1st round pick could be used to fill an even bigger hole - a faceoff winning, penalty killing shutdown 3rd line C.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's completely false. Gavrikov is about as good as prime Savard. We'd know, they played together on the same pairing. And the Savard that was traded to Tampa was clearly past prime.

If you follow the talk among Jackets fans, that is the preference. We'd rather sign him long term, we don't care as much about more late firsts. And Jarmo has said that they tried. He just doesn't want to stay.
Gavrikov not wanting to stay in Columbus would have me worried. Does he not want to stay because he wants to win? Or because he has a certain type of city in mind where he wants to live? If he has eyes on living the life in California or Florida, my interest in trading for him goes down as I would hope to re-sign him. I wonder how many GMs feel the same.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's completely false. Gavrikov is about as good as prime Savard. We'd know, they played together on the same pairing. And the Savard that was traded to Tampa was clearly past prime.

If you follow the talk among Jackets fans, that is the preference. We'd rather sign him long term, we don't care as much about more late firsts. And Jarmo has said that they tried. He just doesn't want to stay.

I wouldn't say Gavrikov is as good as Savard in his absolute prime. That version of Savard was an absolute stud, borderline top-pair sort of shutdown D. But he's definitely better than the shell of Savard that the Jackets traded to Tampa. I think realistically...Gavrikov falls somewhere in between.

Given what the broken, declining husk of Savard got (along with other relatively recent deadline comparables), i think it's reasonable to expect Gavrikov to get at least a similar sort of return. Even if it is "overpayment"...it's kind of the going rate. Especially for a guy that contending teams can actually fit into their tight cap situations.

He's still exactly the sort of "safe" defensive presence that teams love to add toward the deadline. Good, contending teams usually have the puck-moving and offensive component from the back end more or less figured out. What they ideally want to add is more depth, in the form of "low maintenance" reliable guys who can play minutes, limit their mistakes, and not have to panic over matchups when they get caught out there against top players. Which is exactly what Gavrikov is.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Gavrikov not wanting to stay in Columbus would have me worried. Does he not want to stay because he wants to win? Or because he has a certain type of city in mind where he wants to live? If he has eyes on living the life in California or Florida, my interest in trading for him goes down as I would hope to re-sign him. I wonder how many GMs feel the same.
It hasn't been said he doesn't want to stay. That is pure speculation as is term or price. Nobody really knows what the negotiations are like. He is a locker room guy, good personality and one of the fan favorites.

The only thing that was reported was by A Portzline from the Athletic that said he has the CBJ over a barrel because he has all the leverage and his agent has taken full advantage and asking the moon.

Jarmo tends to be very hardline on negotiations on players when the CBJ owns the rights, but hands out 4yr deals for FA's like Gudbranson.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Good Breakdown on why Gav MAY not get as much as Savard

And whats the difference here with exemple a ryan mcdonaugh, except the fact one played pratically his entire carreer in an excellent team and the second one in an average to pretty bad team?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
There are so few teams that have the need and the cap space that I just don't see a first. Klingberg is the only D-man that I can see fetching a 1st rounder this year - if Columbus waits for that asking price, they may be left holding the bag.

Around the deadline, Gavrikov's cap hit with 50% retention is $600K or so. That's a pittance and also carries value that others won't. He's also a different type of player than Klingberg, who really hasn't been that good either. Granted both players are in crap teams so stat watching doesn't do much for either.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There are so few teams that have the need and the cap space that I just don't see a first. Klingberg is the only D-man that I can see fetching a 1st rounder this year - if Columbus waits for that asking price, they may be left holding the bag.

Are you serious?

Any Gm who rather spends a 1st on Kling and not on Gavrikov should be fired on the spot.

Wonder if there's some move to be made around Gavrikov + Jenner for Girard + Something from the Avs. Seems like CBJ could use a guy like Girard to help their transition game and could be a good guy to throw with Peeke or Gud. However, I'm aware of how unlikely it is for CBJ to move their captain

Columbus is not going to trade their veteran C.

They need those guys as they aren’t in on fure fire sale rebuild

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
there's a lot of projecting onto gavrikov what fans want their teams to acquire going on here

he's not a physical all situations defender. he's a guy who watches the play a lot in his own zone but does a good job of protecting dangerous spots and his offensive output is more opportunity than any kind of skill on his part. i'm always skeptical of players on bad teams with bad numbers and gavrikov's a prime example. is he a solid top 4 defender saddled by bad teammates or is he the bad teammate being played in situations he's not suited to?

i still think he'll get a haul at the deadline but i think he's got a good chance of being the worst free agent signing of the summer particularly if he gets term and dollars

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The Savard return was for a rental. So this is the starting point for Gavrikov as a TDL rental and not someone the acquiring team plans on extending.

If the team wanted to talk to him prior to the trade in hopes of negotiating an extension, then the cost would naturally be more than the starting price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad