Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You may notice that your post was not the only one I quoted. The other one mentioned that perhaps Zub had said he was leaving when he hits UFA.

I don't disagree that it is better to have to renegotiate with RFAs instead of UFAs, but it is not simply the teams choice. The more that I think about it, the more I think this was likely the plan for Zub and his representation all along. As an older free agent that was still required to sign an ELC, he may have said that after his ELC he'd be seeking to get to UFA ASAP. He doesn't have the luxury of being an 18-19 year old prospect to look at his potential earnings over the course of a long career so need to maximize earnings quickly. Also, with this deal being signed so soon after the season, it seems that player and team were on the same page.

I don't know what everybody has said on the subject, can't read everything

Great to see that Zub will play 2 more years for the Sens, but it's far from a garantee that it will go beyond that. I wished it would have been a 1 year deal, so both parties could have settled on a 4-5 years deal or something.

Like you said and merge that with what I am saying, it's likely that Zub LEFT HOME to come in NA and make money... That's his main goal. Like I said before, maybe the Sens will be the one giving him what he wants and think he is worth. But I wouldn't bet anything on it as of right now.

So as of right now, I'll put it as more likely that he is gone after the 2 years. Hopefully, something good happens with this.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
You may notice that your post was not the only one I quoted. The other one mentioned that perhaps Zub had said he was leaving when he hits UFA.

I don't disagree that it is better to have to renegotiate with RFAs instead of UFAs, but it is not simply the teams choice. The more that I think about it, the more I think this was likely the plan for Zub and his representation all along. As an older free agent that was still required to sign an ELC, he may have said that after his ELC he'd be seeking to get to UFA ASAP. He doesn't have the luxury of being an 18-19 year old prospect to look at his potential earnings over the course of a long career so need to maximize earnings quickly. Also, with this deal being signed so soon after the season, it seems that player and team were on the same page.

Yes, but another million would make a player more happier and being more appreciated by the organization - just to be fair. And not too look like an idiot among his peers. And Sens made him look bad and undervalued. Players take notice of this BS and scratching their heads. It was the plan to test free agency ASAP. But Sens took advantage of the situation.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
2 years takes him right to UFA status

Dorion is an absolute moron

We couldn't do a one year deal because he'd be one season away from UFA and arbitration eligible. He would have gotten 3+ million easily in arbitration and wouldn't have saved us much this season. MAYBE we could have gotten him for 2M instead of 2.5M on a one year, but we would have paid for it next season.

We could have done a third year but then we're locking up our right side for three years and he probably would have been over 3M a season (UFA years are expensive to buy even if negotiating from RFA years) . and we'd be taking on more risk if he regressed.

I really don't see much alternative. This is why European and college Free Agents aren't always as useful as they seem.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, but another million would make a player more happier and being more appreciated by the organization - just to be fair. And not too look like an idiot among his peers. And Sens made him look bad and undervalued. Players take notice of this BS and scratching their heads. It was the plan to test free agency ASAP. But Sens took advantage of the situation.
Time and time again you show how clueless you are. How exactly is Zub pissed off when he signed a deal two days after the season ended. What would be the rush on his end? He could have waited it out all summer if he was mad. Just stop talking out of your ass, please.

Reactions: Masked and Deku

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I disagree. No reason to lock guys like this up long term. If he declined, you would say the team is stupid for committing that long to him.

I posted earlier in this thread I wanted him locked-up long-term at 3-5M, so no I wouldn't have.

Zub is our 2nd best defenseman and should have another 5-10 good years left in him given he's only in his mid-20s. He's exactly the type of player you lock up long-term.

Reactions: DrEasy

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca

Ok, wait so the Sens should just start giving players an extra "million" or so to feel better?

Again, these are baseless claims about making him look bad and undervalued. He signed a new deal THE DAY AFTER THE SEASON!!! If he didn't like the money or term or whatever why would he sign so quickly.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I posted earlier in this thread I wanted him locked-up long-term at 3-5M, so no I wouldn't have.

Zub is our 2nd best defenseman and should have another 5-10 good years left in him given he's only in his mid-20s. He's exactly the type of player you lock up long-term.
You're overrating what he brings to the table. Just like people did with DeMelo. Zub is better than him though. I would never sign guys like that for four years. He can always be replaced eventually if he doesn't sign another deal.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This thread is hilarious. All I see is people losing their shit on someone but don't see the original post. Probably for the best anyway given the reaction and clearly I made up my mind a while ago I didn't need to see that person's posts anymore.

Anyway, to the point, very good contract. This team needs to be reasonable and measured with their contracts and I'm not sure why anyone wants to hand out dollars and/or term to a guy who's played about 40ish games in the NHL in one of the weirdest structured years in the league's history. Let's see what this guy can do over a full year in the NHL, in regular divisions, with a full training camp before we hand over more security. Seems like the sensible thing to do, which as usual seems to draw the ire of a certain segment of this fanbase.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You're overrating what he brings to the table. Just like people did with DeMelo. Zub is better than him though. I would never sign guys like that for four years. He can always be replaced eventually if he doesn't sign another deal.
A counter point could be that they were willing to lock themselves in to Zaitsev for more than two years and Zub has arguably passed him on the depth chart at this point.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So that's why you give him 3-4M to lock him up for a greater term than 2YRs.

Ottawa should try and stay away from getting Zaitseved. Funny how people around here don't want to think of Zub maybe struggling like Zaitsev did following his long term deal

Reactions: Deku

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
A counter point could be that they were willing to lock themselves in to Zaitsev for more than two years and Zub has arguably passed him on the depth chart at this point.
Yes but they got Connor brown because of that.

If Zaitsev was a free agent they wouldn’t have signed him for that long

Reactions: Deku

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
This thread is hilarious. All I see is people losing their shit on someone but don't see the original post. Probably for the best anyway given the reaction and clearly I made up my mind a while ago I didn't need to see that person's posts anymore.

Anyway, to the point, very good contract. This team needs to be reasonable and measured with their contracts and I'm not sure why anyone wants to hand out dollars and/or term to a guy who's played about 40ish games in the NHL in one of the weirdest structured years in the league's history. Let's see what this guy can do over a full year in the NHL, in regular divisions, with a full training camp before we hand over more security. Seems like the sensible thing to do, which as usual seems to draw the ire of a certain segment of this fanbase.
It’s just the guy with the most egregious takes I’ve ever seen on here. Including my own.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Do you think paying him peanuts 2,5 million and low balling him like this will make him happy with the organization? He can not wait to get out from here now. They really, really pissed him off. When they give him an idea they do not see him here long term and do not care investing in him and he is not their future. Also Sens will throw 5 million dollars at Tkachuk on a bridge deal overpaying him, basically taking money from Zub. It is not fair in his eyes. And why Chabot(the give away machine) makes 4 times more money then Zub? For what exactly reason? This is f**king ridiculous.
I think you should start a thread about trading Chabot

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes but they got Connor brown because of that.

If Zaitsev was a free agent they wouldn’t have signed him for that long
True, but he appeared as more of a throw in at the time for a tweener stop gap. Kudos to Dorion if he actually banked on whatever changed this season and if that continues.

I agree, or at least I would have hoped not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad