Speculation: Artturi Lehkonen for a defenseman

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I’m not getting the forcing of Seattle to take chariot and Byron as the sole viable options.

Price will waive
We protect Allen.

Only viable player will be Byron or Chiarot, considering they won't take a 22yo #6th dman who's 5'8 and hasn't played all year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would absolutely love Lehkonen in Vancouver. Still pretty young, solid defensively, and some upside there. He'd be a nice (and actually nice, unlike the Benning Brigade signings) addition to the bottom-six or could play next to Horvat in shutdown duty.

Our blueline is trash though, so there's not much in the way of upgrades for Montreal though. A different price?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would absolutely love Lehkonen in Vancouver. Still pretty young, solid defensively, and some upside there. He'd be a nice (and actually nice, unlike the Benning Brigade signings) addition to the bottom-six or could play next to Horvat in shutdown duty.

Our blueline is trash though, so there's not much in the way of upgrades for Montreal though. A different price?
Jordie Benn. Salary matches. Problem is that QO.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Why would...Montreal want Jordie Benn?

Lehkonen's QO is $2.4 million. I think there's a good chance he just signs for that. For what he brings, I think it's a fair price.
I recall Montreal fans really liking Benn.

The Canucks can probably find a comparable contributor for 1/2 that price.

Heck he might even end up a UFA. I doubt Montreal can afford $2.4m in space.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I recall Montreal fans really liking Benn.

The Canucks can probably find a comparable contributor for 1/2 that price.

Heck he might even end up a UFA. I doubt Montreal can afford $2.4m in space.

Benn would be Our 7th D. The only reason I'd want him atm is depth and to be on the bottom pairing until Chiarot is healthy.

But not something I'd give lehkonen for.

More like mete and a 5th for Benn at 50% sorts of thing

Jul 6, 2016
Lehkonen for Juolevi ? Or packaged with Tatar for Schmidt ?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Something around Graves for Lehkonen+ might make sense, particularly since Jacob MacDonald has looked really good as an AHL callup and only needs another 13 GP to meet the expansion eligibility criteria to give Colorado a Dman to expose. If it happened it would have to wait until Avs get some Dmen healthy though, as half of their top 6 is injured right now (i.e. Johnson, Makar, Byram, Timmins).

Fwiw there's been mutual interest in the past, as Bergevin was in Denver with his assistant GM at last years deadline to scout Graves, and Avs have liked Lehkonen for a while.

With their lack of bottom 6 production I'm not sure Lehkonen is what the Avs need right now though, especially given how important Graves is to the PK. Could see it being an offseason move if Lehkonen isn't asking for too much on his next contract.
Dude. Lehkonen for J MacDonald. That’s a deal that makes sense.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d give Jacob MacDonald for him. Straight up. Just need Byram and Makar back in the lineup. Maybe later this week.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

agreed, lehkonen would be a significant upgrade for the nucks bottom 6 and PK.
I don't know what van-city could offer.
i'm not sure why he's not playing instead of byron tbh

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
MacDonald's low caphit will be extremely useful next season.
I hope not. He’s still a number 7 to me. But a good number 7. he’s playing well.

MacDonald has a nice game offensively. He gets lost a bit in his own zone. But dude had a 25 to 5 Corsi last night. His Corsi stats are insanely good. He’s getting sheltered minutes but still. 25 to 5. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Price will waive
We protect Allen.

Only viable player will be Byron or Chiarot, considering they won't take a 22yo #6th dman who's 5'8 and hasn't played all year.
I hope your right but I just don’t see price waiving or those guys being taken

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

Picks

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Jordie Benn for a mid round pick, Canucks can retain if needed and for an upgrade on the pick
Montreal doesn’t need a defenceman of Benn’s quality. Not sure why Canucks fans can’t get that through their heads

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
One of the best forecheckers in the game.

Creates lots of chances too. If he had an ounce of finish he'd be a 20 goal scorer.

As a Habs fan, I think it would be a mistake to move him when his value is at it's lowest. Especially because the return is likely a bottom pair 6/7 D kinda thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad