Speculation: Artturi Lehkonen for a defenseman

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
Lehkonen seems to be the odd man out since Ducharme took the job of head coach. I think he is a pretty good 3rd/4th line player. Good defense, good energy, but a lack of offense.

With Ben Chariot out for 6 to 8 weeks, I can see Bergevin try to trade Lehkonen for a dman.

What do you have available for us?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Tbh he has sucked this year. Useless and generic as they come. Too bad. At least last year he was chipping in from to time and played better D

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Something around Graves for Lehkonen+ might make sense, particularly since Jacob MacDonald has looked really good as an AHL callup and only needs another 13 GP to meet the expansion eligibility criteria to give Colorado a Dman to expose. If it happened it would have to wait until Avs get some Dmen healthy though, as half of their top 6 is injured right now (i.e. Johnson, Makar, Byram, Timmins).

Fwiw there's been mutual interest in the past, as Bergevin was in Denver with his assistant GM at last years deadline to scout Graves, and Avs have liked Lehkonen for a while.

With their lack of bottom 6 production I'm not sure Lehkonen is what the Avs need right now though, especially given how important Graves is to the PK. Could see it being an offseason move if Lehkonen isn't asking for too much on his next contract.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Lehkonen seems to be the odd man out since Ducharme took the job of head coach. I think he is a pretty good 3rd/4th line player. Good defense, good energy, but a lack of offense.

With Ben Chariot out for 6 to 8 weeks, I can see Bergevin try to trade Lehkonen for a dman.

What do you have available for us?

It's just a bad idea.

ANY D-man we'd be getting would be picked by SEA in the ED, preventing them from taking Chiarot and his contract. Trading Lehkhonen for that d-man would also mean havign to keep Chiarot next year, and his caphit would hurt the Habs too much.

Gallagher
Drouin
KK
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Lehkhonen

**Tatar Danault and Armia not resigned until after the ED in order to open more protecting sluts

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Allen
**Price waives knowing he needs a good backup behind him, AND knows SEA woN't pick him and his contract

Leaving the only good options to get picked by SEA being Byron and Chiarot or the likes of Kulak...

That's what will happen. Trading Lehkhonen for a d-man = we'd lose said d-man to Seattle instead of getting rid of 3.5M$ on our cap.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Bergevin refused Bura for Lehk, value wise it would have been good but I doubt Colorado wants to do that trade now.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It's just a bad idea.

ANY D-man we'd be getting would be picked by SEA in the ED, preventing them from taking Chiarot and his contract. Trading Lehkhonen for that d-man would also mean havign to keep Chiarot next year, and his caphit would hurt the Habs too much.

Gallagher
Drouin
KK
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Lehkhonen

**Tatar Danault and Armia not resigned until after the ED in order to open more protecting sluts

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Allen
**Price waives knowing he needs a good backup behind him, AND knows SEA woN't pick him and his contract

Leaving the only good options to get picked by SEA being Byron and Chiarot or the likes of Kulak...

That's what will happen. Trading Lehkhonen for a d-man = we'd lose said d-man to Seattle instead of getting rid of 3.5M$ on our cap.
Trade for a ufa defender then, you just need a rental

Reactions: BLNY

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It's just a bad idea.

Gallagher
Drouin
KK
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Lehkhonen

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Allen

Giving Seattle the opportunity to select Danault and have exclusive negotiating rights with him is a sure-fire way to lose him. No team will have the amount of cap flexibility as Seattle, so they'll be able to offer Danault a good contract.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
It's just a bad idea.

Dman you receive in return will not be some team 3rd best dman...
Expecting too much of a return there.
Lehkonen is depth. Depth is a thing.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
for other team, don't just look at the stats with Lehkonen. He's great on PK and on forecheck. To be honest I don't understand why he's not playing because he's a regular.

Reactions: HabsTown

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Hagg.

* hits like a boss
*+ 16 for his career
* is swedish, prolly turns red with embarssment when he plays so well for you, like the fish candy.
* you lack Sweden on your roster, we lack Finnish on ours
* wears the SAME number as Chiarot - perfect replacement
* might be related to THE Chef.

Reactions: Dust

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It was when Burakovsky was on the caps.
Well his value has obviously gone up considerably since then, having paced 28 goals/64 points last year and 24 goals/65 points this year, along with being over PPG in the playoffs. Lehkonen doesn't even come close to being fair value for Burakovsky right now.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Well his value has obviously gone up considerably since then, having paced 28 goals/64 points last year and 24 goals/65 points this year, along with being over PPG in the playoffs. Lehkonen doesn't even come close to being fair value for Burakovsky right now.

Without a doubt, I was just replying to "when was Sakic shopping him" question.

The answer is he wasn't and why would he, Bura has been great for the Avs.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Giving Seattle the opportunity to select Danault and have exclusive negotiating rights with him is a sure-fire way to lose him. No team will have the amount of cap flexibility as Seattle, so they'll be able to offer Danault a good contract.

If theya re ready to sign Danault @ anything above 5M, be my guess... It'd instantly become one of the wrost deals in the NHL.

Reactions: Edgy

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Dman you receive in return will not be some team 3rd best dman...
Expecting too much of a return there.
Lehkonen is depth. Depth is a thing.

Yep, but the thing is, Habs are planning on forcing SEA to take one of Chiarot or Byron by exposing only these 2 guys as sole viable options to SEA. Therefore acquiring cap flexibility.

trading Lehkhonen for a depth d-man signed @ 1M$, that we'd lose to SEA this summer doesn't help the Habs

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's just a bad idea.

Gallagher
Drouin
KK
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Lehkhonen

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Allen

Any UFA left exposed will give Seattle exclusive rights to sign that player. I can see why Habs would wait on signing Danault, but I can't see him passing up an opportunity for a potential bigger role if Seattle wants him. But I suppose it's better negotiating a contact and potentially losing a player you might value more. UFA's can be protected, or left exposed for Seattle to negotiate a contract, but they won't count as exposed on the requirement list of 1 D/2 Forwards meeting the criteria of games played. The idea of waiting to sign UFA's sounds good until you lose them. But again, if Montreal doesn't see Danault long term, or wants to pay what he's asking, it makes sense.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Any UFA left exposed will give Seattle exclusive rights to sign that player. I can see why Habs would wait on signing Danault, but I can't see him passing up an opportunity for a potential bigger role if Seattle wants him. But I suppose it's better negotiating a contact and potentially losing a player you might value more. UFA's can be protected, or left exposed for Seattle to negotiate a contract, but they won't count as exposed on the requirement list of 1 D/2 Forwards meeting the criteria of games played. The idea of waiting to sign UFA's sounds good until you lose them. But again, if Montreal doesn't see Danault long term, or wants to pay what he's asking, it makes sense.

Again, Danult and tatar possibly already have a handshake deal with bergervin to come back post ED. At that point, if SEA wants to give more $$ and more years to Danault (north of 5.5 X 5 years), go for it, they'll regret it instantly. I do not see Danault leaving for anything under 6M / year tho.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It's just a bad idea.

Gallagher
Drouin
KK
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Lehkhonen

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Allen

Dollar for dollar mete will be a good option for Seattle to don’t forget . It’s not a situation where you determine who you are exposing and they pick from what you wanna get rid of . You protect your 1-3-7 or 1-4-4 and everyone after is fair game who meet the games or seasons played requirements. I really don’t think price will do that either .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Yep, but the thing is, Habs are planning on forcing SEA to take one of Chiarot or Byron by exposing only these 2 guys as sole viable options to SEA. Therefore acquiring cap flexibility.

trading Lehkhonen for a depth d-man signed @ 1M$, that we'd lose to SEA this summer doesn't help the Habs
If lehkonen is our loss in the expansion draft I would consider it a win because we get to keep Allen .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

I’m not getting the forcing of Seattle to take chariot and Byron as the sole viable options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad