Article: Rangers Rookies Begin to Show Offensive Prowess at Traverse City

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's playing on a line with Stromwall and Kovacs who have chemistry already. He's never going to be an offensive producer, the hope should be for a 4th line Center ala Dominic Moore

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He's playing on a line with Stromwall and Kovacs who have chemistry already. He's never going to be an offensive producer, the hope should be for a 4th line Center ala Dominic Moore

Just to be picky, he didn't play with Kovacs/Stromwall in the second game :P

Otherwise, I agree with the fact that he's not going to have an offensive flash.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Fogarty played with them in the first game. Gettinger was centering that line on Saturday. By the end of 2nd game,the lines were changed. Buchnevich played all three forward positions during the game. The Rangers want to get a feel of every player.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
IMO some players can flourish in the more wide open, disjointed style of play you see in these tournaments because they like to play with the puck on their stick and to try things, etc. I think other types of players can vastly benefit from a more structured pro style of game because they're not the type that have the puck all the time and playing within a more strict system allows them to use their strengths better

If this is the case, I think that Gropp would be one of those to benefit from the structured environment. Not alot of flare to his game. Guys like Barzal simply get him the puck when he is in the slot area, and he lets his quick release/quality shot do the rest.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I thought Fogarty had a pretty good end of the season in the AHL?

He only played 3 games with very limited ice time to adjust to the pros by getting an early cup of coffee in Hartford. I can't judge him too much on this, I wish he and Nieves got to play in the AHL post-season which is very high level of competition because 1) bad teams are gone; 2) teams get an infusion of NHL and borderline-NHL talent from the eliminated NHL squads. McIlrath and especially Lindberg benefited a lot because Hartford went all the way to the third round the previous season.

Nieves, on the other hand, looked really good in his 8 Hartford games. Some mistakes, but he came out flying as soon as he put on the Pack uniform. Now he stands out in Traverse, so I think he may have a good AHL rookie season. I highly doubt he makes the NHL at any point this season because there are too many little quirks that needs to be fixed, but given his size, speed, on-ice vision and effort, I see him as an NHLer... some time in 2018.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Still feel reserved about Nieves' upside...he stands out with his skating but I'm not convinced of his offensive production. That said, it doesn't have to be a case where he develops into a top 6 NHLer

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Still feel reserved about Nieves' upside...he stands out with his skating but I'm not convinced of his offensive production. That said, it doesn't have to be a case where he develops into a top 6 NHLer

Nieves has an upside somewhere between Kreider and Hagelin. In many ways, he's like a poor man's Kreider: he's big, but not as big; fast, but not as fast; decent shot, but not great like Kreider. He has better vision than either Kreider or Hagelin, but I don't see him as a top-6 guy because he lacks the creativity or the shot to score enough for that. Realistically, he can be a nice playmaking third line center.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He only played 3 games with very limited ice time to adjust to the pros by getting an early cup of coffee in Hartford. I can't judge him too much on this, I wish he and Nieves got to play in the AHL post-season which is very high level of competition because 1) bad teams are gone; 2) teams get an infusion of NHL and borderline-NHL talent from the eliminated NHL squads. McIlrath and especially Lindberg benefited a lot because Hartford went all the way to the third round the previous season.

Nieves, on the other hand, looked really good in his 8 Hartford games. Some mistakes, but he came out flying as soon as he put on the Pack uniform. Now he stands out in Traverse, so I think he may have a good AHL rookie season. I highly doubt he makes the NHL at any point this season because there are too many little quirks that needs to be fixed, but given his size, speed, on-ice vision and effort, I see him as an NHLer... some time in 2018.

Nieves has an upside somewhere between Kreider and Hagelin. In many ways, he's like a poor man's Kreider: he's big, but not as big; fast, but not as fast; decent shot, but not great like Kreider. He has better vision than either Kreider or Hagelin, but I don't see him as a top-6 guy because he lacks the creativity or the shot to score enough for that. Realistically, he can be a nice playmaking third line center.

1. Thanks Leslie
2. Glad to have the glad tidings about Boo-meister
3. Glad to see the above, and mostly agree. On the one hand, do not want to burn a year of ELC with this guy, so 90+% on paper, this season is not his debut year, next is.

However, if in the course of upgrading the roster, packaging a guy like Lindberg with a Klein is worth it return assets wise, then I still think they lean to a placeholder --- but if Nieves DOES get it altogether sooner than later, that lessens the chance he is held back. I have forecast Stepan gets moved at some point also.

What Leslie and the above posters appear to be saying is, it's early, but he has enough of all the right tools to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad