Article: Rangers Rookies Begin to Show Offensive Prowess at Traverse City

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Thanks for the great article, Leslie. Do you have an opinion on Gropp? To us watching the live streams...he has seemed invisible. Some of us are thinking he may be best served by playing one final season in the WHL. What do you think? Does he look out of his league?

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I asked Gordie yesterday specifically about the free agents. He said none had really impressed him.

As for Gropp, so far I just don't understand the hype. I said that in Eddie's internet radio show about 5 month's ago too and my feelings haven't changed much. So far I have seen flashes but nothing really to get excited about. He will likely be in the first group assigned to Hartford's training camp. The Rangers will look at him there and then make a decision.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I asked Gordie yesterday specifically about the free agents. He said none had really impressed him.

As for Gropp, so far I just don't understand the hype. I said that in Eddie's internet radio show about 5 month's ago too and my feelings haven't changed much. So far I have seen flashes but nothing really to get excited about. He will likely be in the first group assigned to Hartford's training camp. The Rangers will look at him there and then make a decision.

Free agents as in the guys like Clendenin and Paliotta ? Or more pole stromwall and such?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

Thanks Leslie.

I remember Gordie had mentioned that they forecasted him as a power forward after the draft. I think he needs to show a willingness to drive the net, screen goalies, and go to dirty areas....not just float and hope the puck finds him. He needs to force things to happen and play more like a power forward if he is going to succeed. Let's hope he shows us something in Hartford.

SSOne718

Aug 18, 2007

Hi Leslie. Thanks for the article.

I always am interested in things like this because on one hand we have an experienced and qualified hockey writer who feels one way, and staff on the team that feels a different way...

Why is it such a stark difference in opinion on a player? Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and I will admit I am biased towards the collective experience and knowledge of the staff, but you said you had asked about free agents. I am curious if you asked anyone directly: "What are you seeing and have seen in Gropp that I seem to be missing completely? Why does he look extremely regular?"

Thanks for your reply

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I put zero stock into what guys do here. It's their first action in months and they're playing with two dozen other guys they don't know. Buchnevich and Gropp underwhelming is a non-issue for me.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I put zero stock into what guys do here. It's their first action in months and they're playing with two dozen other guys they don't know. Buchnevich and Gropp underwhelming is a non-issue for me.

right there with ya.

this is a great tourney to kick off the fall season prior to camp and let these kids play against their peers. its also a hodge podge of talents and chemistry isn't gonna be a strong suit. it will, imo, effect the skilled forwards more than the grinders or the dmen.

it is not, however, an indication of what they can or cannot do when it means something.

having said that, while vesey seems to be comfortable showing his stuff and has stood out in every way, buchnevich hasn't done much imo and he should be atleast showing that he's highly skilled and an overall better player than almost every other forward. he hasn't done enough.

guys like ryan gropp and sean day, both whom I'm very meh on, haven't done much either imo while guys like the swede twins and zboro have shown alot more than expected.

either way, you cant get too excited nor too down over this stuff. its a prospect tourney. nothing more.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Right. And it's not a surpise that Stromwall and Kovacs have looked so good. They played with each other in a professional league last season. That's a big advantage over most of the other guys.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Free agents as in the guys like Clendenin and Paliotta ? Or more pole stromwall and such?

i believe this refers to the unsigned players invited to join the NYR TC team -
Ottenbreit, Betz, Duke, Bobyk,
Di Perna ( D who scored a goal vs Canes)
the Zborosky forward
and maybe there's another 1 or 2
(the backup goalie too, who was also Halvy's b/u at SSM,
but prob wont play unless Halvy gets hurt today or tomorrow)

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Right. And it's not a surpise that Stromwall and Kovacs have looked so good. They played with each other in a professional league last season. That's a big advantage over most of the other guys.

I also helps that Stromwall played for two years on an NA rink. He has probably talked with Kovacs a lot about it since he was drafted, and then probably more once they both signed ELCs. Kovacs was probably a bit more prepared than normal.

And yeah, playing together also helps.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
The staff always supports their higher drafted prospects; at least officially. All the way until they don't sign them or demote them or trade them because they do not think that the prospect will make it.

I do feel that, even though it has been a long time since most of the skaters have played against high level opponents, this tournament is very valuable to the staff and to scouts (as well as to those of us who bring our views to fans). More and more scouts are here every year. They must think so too. The prospects are expected to have worked out all summer, are expected to be in shape and many have been working on ice for weeks. It is not likely that suddenly in the main training camp a prospect will bloom into something that they do not show at all here.

In a more general way (THIS IS A GENERAL STATEMENT AND NOT ABOUT ANYONE SPECIFICALLY PLAYING AT THIS TOURNAMENT OR ANY NYR PROSPECT AT THIS TIME), the issue for me is always what I decide to comment on when I see it with my own eyes, but I have also been told directly (or said in my presence) off the record.

Its important for me and for my value to the fans that the information continues to flow to me and that I can be trusted by my sources. At the same time, it is my job to give you the most information that I can. It is a fine, tricky line for me to walk.

My decision (made long ago) was and is that I always err on the side of keeping my confidences. But at the same time, it is very important to me that you all know that I will never mislead you about prospects. I just may not be able to give you the complete story.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I suspect the team likes the skills Gropp has and sees them as projectable...if he can keep developing his overall game. Since you're drafting these kids real young and when you're picking outside the first round, it becomes trying to project whether the skills you're seeing are ones that can be translated to a higher level (and guys in later rounds are also always going to have some issues with their game that you have to decide whether they'll overcome or not).

Gropp might have some nice upside and skills and the Rangers like that a lot, but if he doesn't continue progressing then that doesn't help much...

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

The trouble is that it is happening to guys who already gave reason for concern. Gropp struggled badly without Barzal, was a passenger with him. Butcher did not do well in SKA, then did poorly in the Development Camp. I had my concerns with Fogarty in college and he's been invisible in Traverse.

On the other hand, Nieves played well in his brief AHL stint last March, now doing well in Traverse. Vesey looks much better than anyone. Guys with prior concerns piled on, while those that did well in the recent past added to it.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The trouble is that it is happening to guys who already gave reason for concern. Gropp struggled badly without Barzal, was a passenger with him. Butcher did not do well in SKA, then did poorly in the Development Camp. I had my concerns with Fogarty in college and he's been invisible in Traverse.

On the other hand, Nieves played well in his brief AHL stint last March, now doing well in Traverse. Vesey looks much better than anyone. Guys with prior concerns piled on, while those that did well in the recent past added to it.

That was only last year though. The year before, he carried Seattle while Barzal was out with long-term injuries.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
These games are bad I mean borderline scrimmages. No real flow no one playing well for either teams no one playing together. I wouldn't judge much. The goaltenders have even been awful.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
These games are bad I mean borderline scrimmages. No real flow no one playing well for either teams no one playing together. I wouldn't judge much. The goaltenders have even been awful.

thats what this event is.
and that's why streaming it to fans is not of much value
it just aggravates their unreasonable expectations

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
IMO some players can flourish in the more wide open, disjointed style of play you see in these tournaments because they like to play with the puck on their stick and to try things, etc. I think other types of players can vastly benefit from a more structured pro style of game because they're not the type that have the puck all the time and playing within a more strict system allows them to use their strengths better

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I thought Fogarty had a pretty good end of the season in the AHL?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad