Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The only guys in the league who I think are clearly superior are McDavid and MacKinnon.

He has an argument against anyone else.
Agreed, and at risk of seeming like a massive homer there are arguments to be made for Panarin over those two in certain areas. I think Panarin is in a class of his own when it comes to determination & clutchness, he’s also way better than those two defensively, and a lot more fun :)

Reactions: Bread4Life

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Agreed, and at risk of seeming like a massive homer there are arguments to be made for Panarin over those two in certain areas. I think Panarin is in a class of his own when it comes to determination & clutchness, he’s also way better than those two defensively, and a lot more fun :)

Mackinnon has abused his competition in the playoffs so far so I don't know that the clutch thing holds up there.

I remember when a few people (well it was mostly one person) here tried to argue that Drouin was a better player.

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
There's not many players who have the complete package like Panarin does. He'll produce with anyone. Imagine if he was on a line like McDavid's or Bergeron's?
His stick handling is right up there with the best and I bet it doesn't hurt to be able to practice with this little guy to keep him sharp.
artemi panarin video stick handling with his dog - Yahoo Video Search Results

That is more to this innocent game with Mr.Rizhyi - the little guy is NOT GETTING HURT. Never, or he would not be so brave and not afraid of the stick....

Reactions: excaliber

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
Kaner had 4 points last night as well. He's not exactly playing with superstars either. Kane and Panarin are very similar. And they are both far better than Draisaitl come on with that. Dude is a rich man's Ryan Strome.

C*mon... They are very similar with Kane in their solo puck handling and scoring skills. But that is all. Panarin is excellent at boards, he is much better in protecting the puck, puck stealing. He is one you can rely on defensively. Actually he plays defense. And you can see their +/- numbers are very different, because Panarins game planner skills makes all the team much better on ice, while Kane is good individually.

I would not take anybody over Panarin, even McDavid. Because you give him one or two good players capable to read his game and Panarin will make results much better than ANY other duo or trio. No individual maestro has potential of orchestra.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
I think there is a reasonable argument that Panarin is the best winger in the league right now. Only question is how will his game age? There's reason to believe it will age better than most but hard to tell sometimes.

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
Anyone watch a good number of Blue Jackets games when Panarin was with that organization?

I viewed a fair amount of Hawks games when he was with Chicago and I just can't recall him playing the game at this level... Wondering if his level of play with the Blue Jackets was more similar to his time with the Hawks - or if his game has steadily developed/progressed to this current level across the years... Not so much focused on point totals here but his overall impact out on the ice on a shift by shift, game by game basis...

I saw his games in Chicago as well as in Columbus.

I think he really was lucky to get Kane as a linemate when came to America. If you remember, Q tried Panarin to play with Toews and that was a disaster. Other combos did not worked well as well if they had no Kane.

In Columbus he had few difficult months as nobody could understand his style and way of thinking. He started to get his points only mid or end Novermber. His passes went to nowhere and I thought for the thousand times that the team does not love him and he gets no pucks or maybe he is mishandled by Torts. But I was wrong - as I understood Torts gave him a total freedom (like they had in Chicago with Kane), but the team mates just could not understand where they should find him - he does not follow any patterns and his actions is something very difficult to read and forecast. Even Foligno once said that Panarin just does not fit Jakets' game when he spoke about Panarins play in their PP. And there in Columbus Artemiy developed into the player that does not totally depend on linemates. And here he started to play better in defense (I think thanks to Tortorella).

And finally the Rangers. Like after every summer he came even better as he was before. Here from the very first game Artemiy is very confident in himself and very much in comfort zone. Maybe because he understand his own strength and capabilities. His confidence shows up everywhere - he is not afraid of anything and anybody (even shows his political opinion that is very much unexpected from Russian pro athlete) and he just enjoys his own game...

His overal impact - he was always the clutch, he always was in fight for the puck. I have no idea when exactly he get as a rule never to let it go, but maybe that was in u20 world uniors 2011 when his star started to shine - when unknown player Panarin helped the Russian team to come back in the gold medal game from 0-3 in end of the second to win 5-3 with two goals (when score was 0-3 and 3-3. Coincidence or not, but that was the first goal of the come back, and another goal - first to lead).

sorry for many words and zillion of mistakes :)))

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

I think he really was lucky to get Kane as a linemate when came to America. If you remember, Q tried Panarin to play with Toews and that was a disaster. Other combos did not worked well as well if they had no Kane.

In Columbus he had few difficult months as nobody could understand his style and way of thinking. He started to get his points only mid or end Novermber. His passes went to nowhere and I thought for the thousand times that the team does not love him and he gets no pucks or maybe he is mishandled by Torts. But I was wrong - as I understood Torts gave him a total freedom (like they had in Chicago with Kane), but the team mates just could not understand where they should find him - he does not follow any patterns and his actions is something very difficult to read and forecast. Even Foligno once said that Panarin just does not fit Jakets' game when he spoke about Panarins play in their PP. And there in Columbus Artemiy developed into the player that does not totally depend on linemates. And here he started to play better in defense (I think thanks to Tortorella).

And finally the Rangers. Like after every summer he came even better as he was before. Here from the very first game Artemiy is very confident in himself and very much in comfort zone. Maybe because he understand his own strength and capabilities. His confidence shows up everywhere - he is not afraid of anything and anybody (even shows his political opinion that is very much unexpected from Russian pro athlete) and he just enjoys his own game...

His overal impact - he was always the clutch, he always was in fight for the puck. I have no idea when exactly he get as a rule never to let it go, but maybe that was in u20 world uniors 2011 when his star started to shine - when unknown player Panarin helped the Russian team to come back in the gold medal game from 0-3 in end of the second to win 5-3 with two goals (when score was 0-3 and 3-3. Coincidence or not, but that was the first goal of the come back, and another goal - first to lead).

Good insight

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Pssh. I wish I could write this well in another language.

Great post. Thanks for the info.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The combo of user name and Avatar here is too much for me to handle.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

You're like a rich-mans Webster

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
C*mon... They are very similar with Kane in their solo puck handling and scoring skills. But that is all. Panarin is excellent at boards, he is much better in protecting the puck, puck stealing. He is one you can rely on defensively. Actually he plays defense. And you can see their +/- numbers are very different, because Panarins game planner skills makes all the team much better on ice, while Kane is good individually.

I would not take anybody over Panarin, even McDavid. Because you give him one or two good players capable to read his game and Panarin will make results much better than ANY other duo or trio. No individual maestro has potential of orchestra.

You wouldn't take McDavid over Panarin? I'm as big a fan of Panarin as anyone, but that's flat out dumb lmao. McDavid's the best player in the NHL, bar none.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is where the argument goes south. Completely. Panarin over McDavid does not hold water.

Reactions: mrhockey193195
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad