Around the NHL XX: I guess it isn't the offseason anymore continuing edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Did not expect the Blue Jackets to be 0-3.

They were an awful defensive team last year, and did absolutely nothing to address that problem in the offseason. Unsurprisingly, they have allowed 13 goals against in 3 games.

I had them well outside the playoffs in my predictions this year. Bob is good, and it's a real nice looking top-6, but their blueline might as well be a turnstile.

Last edited:

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
They were an awful defensive team last year, and did absolutely nothing to address that problem in the offseason. Unsurprisingly, they have allowed 13 goals against in 3 games.

I had them well outside the playoffs in my predictions this year. Bob is good, and it's a real nice looking top-6, but their blueline might as well be a turnstile.

They were probably expecting a healthy Ryan Murray would make a big difference on D.

I don't follow them much but I wouldn't be surprised to see them turn it around soon.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They were probably expecting a healthy Ryan Murray would make a big difference on D.

That kid has missed a crazy amount of development time.

Murray is a kid you try to insulate this year, and hope that he can get back on track after missing 149 of his past 164 games. He's not someone you should be leaning on to fix anything at this point.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah their defense is the main problem. I wonder if their late-season winning streak (10 games or something) instilled some confidence in management that they would do fine with everyone healthy.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
That kid has missed a crazy amount of development time.

Murray is a kid you try to insulate this year, and hope that he can get back on track after missing 149 of his past 164 games. He's not someone you should be leaning on to fix anything at this point.

Disagree. When healthy, Murray will be their best DMan.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Disagree. When healthy, Murray will be their best DMan.

That is as damning a statement as I can think of to describe that Blue Jackets blueline, and also kind of proves my original point.

Also: Johnson and Savard are better, at least as of right now. Murray probably still has the best upside of the three, but he won't even be close to up to speed until mid season at least, and won't start dominating til next year at the earliest.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

I don't follow them much but I wouldn't be surprised to see them turn it around soon.

Much like the Oilers, they are writing in a young player to be a top line player, instead of focusing on development and letting it happen organically.

They really just cannot expect Ryan Murray to come in and fix everything. It's unfair and unrealistic. Especially when dealing with defensemen.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Much like the Oilers, they are writing in a young player to be a top line player, instead of focusing on development and letting it happen organically.

They really just cannot expect Ryan Murray to come in and fix everything. It's unfair and unrealistic. Especially when dealing with defensemen.

Players like Karlsson and Ekblad have ruined development for young defensemen. Teams now figure these high draft picks can come in and be superstars immediately. Those players are exception not the norm.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Players like Karlsson and Ekblad have ruined development for young defensemen. Teams now figure these high draft picks can come in and be superstars immediately. Those players are exception not the norm.

Karlsson stayed over in Sweden for a year and then started in Binghamton, right?

But yeah Ekblad, Doughty come to mind.

The flipside to rushing is you could end up with someone like Schenn.

Now Schenn is no slouch but is he what the Leafs expected when they drafted him 5OA? Could he have been better? Personally - I think he could have been with more development, direction.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Sid the Kid, no points through three games. Pens start year with a 0-3 record, scoring only three goals overall.

Makes me feel pretty good about the Sens going 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad