Dubois

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We can’t do this roller coaster ride every season. Nobody should be duped into thinking another coach can get him going. We already tried that.
"Figuring him out" has got to be exhausting.

Maybe he needs a different coach.
Maybe he's being used incorrectly.
Maybe he needs different linemates.
Maybe he needs to be under a different system.
Maybe he needs a year to adjust.
Maybe he needs to be a winger.
Maybe he need a therapist.
Maybe he'll bounce back next year.
Maybe he needs a gold star motivational system.

I'm tired of it. It's always the same shit everywhere. Get rid of him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
1714779962033.jpeg

Another Hoven hack job clickbait headline. Makes it sound like Dubois requested a trade. And then he hid all the replies calling him out on it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
"Figuring him out" has got to be exhausting.

Maybe he needs a different coach.
Maybe he's being used incorrectly.
Maybe he needs different linemates.
Maybe he needs to be under a different system.
Maybe he needs a year to adjust.
Maybe he needs to be a winger.
Maybe he need a therapist.
Maybe he'll bounce back next year.
Maybe he needs a gold star motivational system.

I'm tired of it. It's always the same shit everywhere. Get rid of him.
Yeah it’s always bullshit. What happened is he isn’t that good and we paid him too much. He’s a four million dollar player.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I just hope nobody gets the bright idea he can be traded. To get rid of that contract we’d have to retain and take on at least one more dead weight. I don’t see how that would be worth it to the Kings in any circumstance.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Assessing how bad the PLD trade is - in terms of picks.. here's my analysis (pls chime in if you disagree)

Loss of Vilardi is worth at least mid 1st round pick.
8 x 8.5m for a player worth around lets say 8 x 4.5m - to trade and clear that cap space, with no retention prob cost a 1st and a 2nd
That one move cost them 2 1st round picks and a 2nd of value.

How to assess the buyout?
Loss of Vilardi - mid 1st round pick
Loss of that cap space for 13 years - is prob akin to giving up a 2nd round pick every other year

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Assessing how bad the PLD trade is - in terms of picks.. here's my analysis (pls chime in if you disagree)

8 x 8.5m for a player worth around lets say 8 x 4.5m - to trade and clear that cap space, with no retention prob cost a 1st and a 2nd

Loss of that cap space for 13 years - is prob akin to giving up a 2nd round pick every other year
It would be crazy to trade him. Utterly batshit insane. You could only trade him if you retain at least 2 million per year and take someone's dead weight for x amount of years. So we'd be adding another player or two to the team that nobody wants, paying their contract that nobody wants, potentially giving up picks that we need too. And the retention would be more than his buyout terms in some of these seasons. Unless someone traded for him and gave us nothing but a token pick in return, it isn't worth it. But why would anyone do that when they could pick him up in FA after we bought him out?

I would rather keep him than trade him unless we take nothing back, and I'd make that clear to every team out there that called about him. Trading him makes the pain even worse, if we trade him we don't even get the immediate cap relief we need. We get f***ed harder.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
It would be crazy to trade him. Utterly batshit insane. You could only trade him if you retain at least 2 million per year and take someone's dead weight for x amount of years. So we'd be adding another player or two to the team that nobody wants, paying their contract that nobody wants, potentially giving up picks that we need too. Unless someone traded for him and gave us nothing but a token pick in return, it isn't worth it. But why would anyone do that when they could pick him up in FA after we bought him out?

I would rather keep him than trade him. Trading him makes the pain even worse, if we trade him we don't even get the immediate cap relief we need. We get f***ed harder.
I hear you.. I was just trying to quantify how big of a clusterf*** it was to execute the trade. The problem with keeping a guy like him is its a guaranteed culture killer. So to me, you pick your poison between the trade or buyout.

Reactions: Live in the Now

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I hear you.. I was just trying to quantify how big of a clusterf*** it was to execute the trade. The problem with keeping a guy like him is its a guaranteed culture killer. So to me, you pick your poison between the trade or buyout.
Obviously, buyout is the by far best option. But I think I would rather keep the super overpaid 40 pt player than retain a bunch of his salary and trade him for a massively overpaid 30 pt player, a super overpaid 6th D, or a shit backup goalie. Obviously everyone will feel differently about that, but if you only get 2 million in cap relief and some bums out of trading him, I'd rather not even trade him. If the league year ends after he can be bought out for cheap, we're f***ed.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

He may also prevent us from getting Byfield locked up on a steal of a contract.

We need to sign him right now to a LTC that will turn into a bargain in the future.

But we can't because we don't have cap space. Instead we have to give QB to a bridge deal, then in a few years we're gonna get f***ed when we have to sign to a ridiculous contract when the cap is over 100M.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He may also prevent us from getting Byfield locked up on a steal of a contract.

We need to sign him right now to a LTC that will turn into a bargain in the future.

But we can't because we don't have cap space. Instead we have to give QB to a bridge deal, then in a few years we're gonna get f***ed when we have to sign to a ridiculous contract when the cap is over 100M.
Thats a really good point. Another feather in Blake's cap with his terrible cap planning

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Kings might not have a choice depending on the dates lining up. They will consider the 1/3 buyout but not the 2/3rds.
2/3 is a no go for me, trading doesn't work either, might as well keep him then. Not being able to buy him out at 1/3 would ordinarily set off a lot of other dominoes in competent organizations but I don't know about this one.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If they're able to make the 1/3 buyout period then I think they have to do it. If not then they might as well bite the bullet and keep him. The 2/3 buyout is definitely not worth it and trading him would just be too hard to pull off.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
With that non-existent playoff performance, Dubois just killed any what little interest other teams may have had for him. I would’ve said revisit with Boston but that ain’t happening now. The buyout is the only option. What a clusterf*** this has turned into.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Looking at the the UFA’s, if the Kings move Dubois I would direct that money to a free agent who actually plays hard and with some balls like a Bertuzzi, Domi.

I would also look at players like Monahan, Toffoli.

If the Kings buyout PLD and throw another 1-2 million on top on that freed cap space they could likely afford two of any of those four players.

I would take Bertuzzi and Monahan over PLD or Toffoli and Domi.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So many prospects have switched from C to W, starting with Kempe and onward. SOMEONE has to play down the middle for f***'s sake. Byfield looks like he's going to be another. We're currently the antithesis of the Ducks, who are in the process of drafting and developing what looks like future successful C's.
Kempe was W to C then back again…. Just to make a bigger farce of it.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
PLD, buyout won't happen. Imagine having this sh@t stain on us for 14 years!!!
Kopi is retiring in 2 years, prettry much confirmed it in the presser. Cap going up.

So I think the cap hit won't be the issue. It's the player and if the new direction want him around as a culture changer or not. If not then a trade would be ideal but what do we add and how much do we retain?

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
PLD, buyout won't happen. Imagine having this sh@t stain on us for 14 years!!!
Kopi is retiring in 2 years, prettry much confirmed it in the presser. Cap going up.

So I think the cap hit won't be the issue. It's the player and if the new direction want him around as a culture changer or not. If not then a trade would be ideal but what do we add and how much do we retain?
Half of the 14 years the cap hit is a little over 1 million dollars. Will that even be enough for a guy on an ELC on the last 7 years? A couple more years are a little over $1.5 million. The largest cap hits are after Kopitar's contract ends.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
So the amount retained of off-season buyouts is affected by the NHL scheduler? Is this a completely arbitrary oversight or designed this way for a reason? Help me wrap my head around this..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad