Around the NHL XIII: Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hes a good looking guy. he played for the nyr in nyc. he made a ton of cash and he enjoyed every minute of it.

i cant blame him for that. at all. good on him.

all that money and his handsome looks cannot hide the fact that, for the most part, his hockey smarts are all but non existent and his skating resembles a tree sloth relaxing in molasses.

good luck to him in philthy. cannot wait for kreider to twist him into a pretzel.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Four Common Criticisms of Possession Stats and Why I Think They’re Totally Whack

It’s been a big summer for analytics in hockey. Analytic minded Kyle Dubas was hired by the Maple Leafs as their assistant GM and Team President Brendan Shanahan admitted that some in the organization were scared of certain words and ideas without deep investigation into their merits. The Devils hired Sunny Mehta, a former poker player and Edmonton Oilers blogger, as their Director of Analytics — a position that reports directly to Lou Lamoriello. Two of the best hockey analytics bloggers out there in Eric Tulsky and Tyler Dellow got hired by NHL teams.

With all this going on, those staunchly opposed to analytics, who may or may not have an understanding of why they are considered useful by many, are coming out to defend the merits of actually watching hockey — which apparently stat nerds don’t do.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
I don't understand why you guys get so worked up over the whole DZ>Klein argument. What I learned from these boards is that pretty much every player on the team has that one poster with an unconditional bias against him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Good grief, if you have a differing view or simply disagree with a recent Ranger move, you now have an agenda?

It's been mentioned various times that Klein didn't really perform that well with the Rangers.

Neither did MDZ, but he was still better than Klein, and not by a small margin.

BrPk7x1IcAAr8it.png

This graph compares Moore with MDZ vs. Moore with Klein.

Apparently the claim going around is that Klein helped 'steady' John Moore's game.

Sure they slightly conceded less goals against (more luck than anything), but they got significantly outshot in the process.

Moore-MDZ also scored more pts/60.

What good is being 'steady' if it doesn't help your team win hockey games? I'd rather have a player that's perceived as erratic and inconsistent as long as he's better than a steady rock.

DZ was not good with the Preds at all though, but he was a decent player with the Rangers.

With that being said, I couldn't care less with the perception of having agendas against players, it's quite silly. I hope Klein does well since he's on the Rangers and all, but I'm very skeptical of that happening.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Good grief, if you have a differing view or simply disagree with a recent Ranger move, you now have an agenda?

It's been mentioned various times that Klein didn't really perform that well with the Rangers.

Neither did MDZ, but he was still better than Klein, and not by a small margin.

BrPk7x1IcAAr8it.png

This graph compares Moore with MDZ vs. Moore with Klein.

Apparently the claim going around is that Klein helped 'steady' John Moore's game.

Sure they slightly conceded less goals against (more luck than anything), but they got significantly outshot in the process.

Moore-MDZ also scored more pts/60.

What good is being 'steady' if it doesn't help your team win hockey games? I'd rather have a player that's perceived as erratic and inconsistent as long as he's better than a steady rock.

DZ was not good with the Preds at all though, but he was a decent player with the Rangers.

With that being said, I couldn't care less with the perception of having agendas against players, it's quite silly. I hope Klein does well since he's on the Rangers and all, but I'm very skeptical of that happening.

I would need to see quality opportunities. It's not "just luck" that Klein and Moore gave up less goals just because they gave up more shots. DZ loved to pinch at inopportune times that led to odd man rushes, that led to goals scored against.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There might've been less SA with DZ on the ice, but from the eyetest, there were plenty more quality SA while he was on the ice than Klein.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Matt Carle 2.0

We see the same recycled drumbeat of "Hockey IQ" being thrown about. Michael Del Zotto is a player that plays a MUCH better game when provided reliable icetime to get in a rhythm. When Staal was out, MDZ played solidly in a top-four role. However, in a super scrutinized 3rd pairing, new system role, he's slow to adapt. MDZ plays a lot better w/ swagger (even a player like Subban has struggled when trying to play too conservatively).

I actually agree with what your saying

I never thought of it like this but I agree with this statement. I like MDZ I was willing to watch that player develop etc.

I actually thought that he was going to be a star. Just never seemed to put it all together . His rookie season killed him . That next season it looked like he didn't even train during the off season

Then always seemed to be in the dog house with torts

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I would need to see quality opportunities. It's not "just luck" that Klein and Moore gave up less goals just because they gave up more shots. DZ loved to pinch at inopportune times that led to odd man rushes, that led to goals scored against.

There might've been less SA with DZ on the ice, but from the eyetest, there were plenty more quality SA while he was on the ice than Klein.

You're essentially looking at team sv% in that case. An evaluation which is nearly impossible to gauge considering the actions of surrounding players on the ice. A single dman has little control over sv%, but they have control over shot quantity with respect to linemates.

If Klein was Swedish he'd love him

MDZ is Swedish now too?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Oh? That explains why Ranger goalies stopped 93.1% of shots on goal when Del Zotto was on the ice in 2013-14 and he's had a higher On Ice SV% than McDonagh the past two seasons.

Or maybe it's far more random than anything else.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Oh? That explains why Ranger goalies stopped 93.1% of shots on goal when Del Zotto was on the ice in 2013-14 and he's had a higher On Ice SV% than McDonagh the past two seasons.

Or maybe it's far more random than anything else.

McDonagh was playing against Crosby while DZ was playing against Tanner Glass. This is strictly a Del Zotto - Moore/Klein- Moore topic. We aren't comparing 1D vs 3D Sv%

Zuccarello Awesome*

MDZ @ 1.3 is much, much better than Klein at 2.9

Better at hitting the glass behind the net?

Absolutely.

Better at fumbling the puck and making unforced turnovers?

Absolutely.

Better at hockey?

Absolutely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes