Around the NHL XIII: Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Didn't know where else to put this haha. Awesome news that Pittsburgh filled the GM position.

ibzd6wRTMEwXkQ.gif

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sather wouldn't give Pittsburgh permission to speak with Gorton. Sather said he wouldn't allow a team employee to interview for another job with the team still playing. Chuck Fletcher became the Wild GM when he was with Pittsburgh and they were playing in the Cup finals in 2009. There is precedence there. Pittsburgh interviewed 9 candidates. Rutherford. McGuire. Botterill. Fitzgerald. Brisebois. Fenton. The other 3 haven't been reported yet. Norm McIver from the Hawks was mentioned as one of the candidates. Pittsburgh wants Rutherford to a be caretaker until Botterill or one of the other two is ready. Botterill was named associate GM. Fitzgerald and Guerin were named assistant GMs. All of Shero's lieutenants were promoted. Rutherford will have the GM gig for 2-3 years before Botterill takes over. Ownership wants Botterill to be the GM. Hire him and have Botterill hired an experienced NHL executive to assist him. Rutherford is 65 years old. McGuire wanted a 5 year commitment while Pittsburgh was offering 3 years. Rutherford gave Semin 7 years and $49 million. Ron Francis is stuck with that contract now. Francis wants to speak with Ulf Samuelsson about the Canes coaching vacancy. That's a budget team. Ulf should wait for a better opportunity. Will he win with that team playing in the Metropolitan division? In 2 to 3 years, Samuelsson will get fired because the Canes missed the playoffs every season.

TurgePurge*

Pierre Mcguire's 6th month plan, If he had become the GM of the Penguins, as told to TSN Radio...

Step 1. Reset with our star players (WTF does that mean?)
2. Decide what to do with the coaching staff
3. Be prepared for rookie camp
4. Be fully aware of what we need to accomplish at the draft
5. Deal with unrestricted free agency on July 1st
6. Address the team at training camp and make them understand what it means to be a Penguin
7. Make sure our players (mentiones Pouliot/Matta) are rehabilitating their injuries)
8. Make sure when we start camp our players are playing with the right ideology
9. If a coaching change had been made make sure the coach knows the type of staff we want and the ideology we should play

Is Mcguire ****ing high? That **** he spewed is the most elementary ****ing garbage I've ever heard. Some people get fooled by how confidently he talks, the poetic way he speaks and his cadence. Most of what he says is just nonsense. I mean that outlined plan above was like 3 minutes of dialogue where he basically said "If I was GM my plan would be to do what a GM does." Sick plan Pierre.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Pierre Mcguire's 6th month plan, If he had become the GM of the Penguins, as told to TSN Radio...

6. Address the team at training camp and make them understand what it means to be a Penguin
7. Make sure our players (mentiones Pouliot/Matta) are rehabilitating their injuries)
9. If a coaching change had been made make sure the coach knows the type of staff we want and the ideology we should play

Is Mcguire ****ing high? That **** he spewed is the most elementary ****ing garbage I've ever heard. Some people get fooled by how confidently he talks, the poetic way he speaks and his cadence. Most of what he says is just nonsense. I mean that outlined plan above was like 3 minutes of dialogue where he basically said "If I was GM my plan would be to do what a GM does." Sick plan Pierre.

I don't think what he was saying was wrong. Reset with his star players, how I see it, is clean house around Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury. Build around them. All teams that are successful are on the same page from top to bottom. Franchises don't need to spew complicated things to be successful. Look at NJ. They were a defensive first type team. They drafted/signed that way, they coached that way and they played that way. 3 Cups in 9 years.

AHB*

A lot of times a GM overcomplicates things and that's where they go wrong. Sounds like he was sticking to basics to me, which in Pittsburghs case, could be a very good thing, considering they are never far off from contending with the talent they have.

Still would have much rather they hired Pierre instead of Rutherford. That's a great hire by Pitt and makes me very nervous. Obviously prefer that over Gorton though.

ON another note, how about Brodeur :laugh:

BarbaraAlphanse

A lot of times a GM overcomplicates things and that's where they go wrong. Sounds like he was sticking to basics to me, which in Pittsburghs case, could be a very good thing, considering they are never far off from contending with the talent they have.

Still would have much rather they hired Pierre instead of Rutherford. That's a great hire by Pitt and makes me very nervous. Obviously prefer that over Gorton though.

To be honest, I think Rutherford was one of the poorer choices to go with. He belongs to the old boys club, meaning his plan on building a team is a little outdated. The canes haven't had a successful team since they won the cup about a decade ago.

I thought Shero was one of the best GM's in the league. He somehow always got the star player without giving up too much, and restocked their system as they went. It was frightening to see him get that coup from Carolina for Staal. I think swapping Shero for Rutherford was a terrible switch.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

What?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Pretty lame IMO to not finish his career there. You already got 3 Cups and broke every record, just retire man.

AHB*

I hope it effectively tarnishes his Devils legacy

He's already gone from loved to "he was great but he's kind of an *******"

Anyone who porks his brother in laws wife is kind of an ******* in my book. Legacy or not. This **** is just taking the blinders off of Devils fans eyes.

Cake or Death

Rutherford is not a very good hire for Pitt.

Agree and I'm pretty stoked the Pens grabbed him. Man, if the lottery ball didn't hand them Crosby, the Pens would be one poorly managed, mediocre at best hockey team right now.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Rutherford isn't going to do anything he is just gunna watch over the assistant.. Pierre wanted 5 yrs but Rutherford is only there for 2-3 yrs until the assistant is ready to take over

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Rutherford isn't going to do anything he is just gunna watch over the assistant.. Pierre wanted 5 yrs but Rutherford is only there for 2-3 yrs until the assistant is ready to take over

Which is plenty of time for Rutherford to **** up another team in the Metro Division. Fine by me :).

Rutherford, with the Hurricanes, had a nasty tendency to overrate marginal talent and expect A+ level production from B+ level players.

The Hurricanes have made the playoffs exactly twice since the 2004-05 lockout. Sure, they won the Cup in 2005-06, the year when they, the Rangers, and Sabres took advantage of the wide open game. After that, Rutherford made some moves that were completely mind-boggling, and made the playoffs ONCE since. And, even that year, came down to the fact the 'Canes had a golden horseshoe stuck up their collective rears for about 35 games between February and early May.

He's overrated Cam Ward for years. I'd expect him to give Fleury what amounts to a lifetime deal for about $3M more a year than he deserves. He'll also lock up Craig Adams for the rest of his career. He'll trade Kunitz and Neal for some perimeter floaters and then wonder why Crosby and Malkin can't load up on the assists they used to get.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Pretty lame IMO to not finish his career there. You already got 3 Cups and broke every record, just retire man.

I think Brodeur is one of the scummiest players around, but I can't agree with you here.

He loves playing hockey. It's not about winning anything or making money at this point; he just wants to do what he loves. Can't fault him there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Which is plenty of time for Rutherford to **** up another team in the Metro Division. Fine by me :).

Rutherford, with the Hurricanes, had a nasty tendency to overrate marginal talent and expect A+ level production from B+ level players.

The Hurricanes have made the playoffs exactly twice since the 2004-05 lockout. Sure, they won the Cup in 2005-06, the year when they, the Rangers, and Sabres took advantage of the wide open game. After that, Rutherford made some moves that were completely mind-boggling, and made the playoffs ONCE since. And, even that year, came down to the fact the 'Canes had a golden horseshoe stuck up their collective rears for about 35 games between February and early May.

He's overrated Cam Ward for years. I'd expect him to give Fleury what amounts to a lifetime deal for about $3M more a year than he deserves. He'll also lock up Craig Adams for the rest of his career. He'll trade Kunitz and Neal for some perimeter floaters and then wonder why Crosby and Malkin can't load up on the assists they used to get.

There's a bunch of this I agree with and a bunch I don't.

First of all, Ward's makeup was a lot like Richter's was. Very good goalie most of the time, but when he was hot, there were very few better. I'm using the term was because he's had a major injury in 3 of the last 5 seasons and I'm not even sure he was really healthy after February in 2012. This is not the same goalie who won the Cup and led his team to the ECF.

But, beyond that, he had this dumbfounding fascination with loading up his defense with puck movers, and not always good ones. Pitkanen, Pothier, Corvo, McBain, White, Babchuk, Kaberle, MA Bergeron, Liles, and even Bobby Sanguinetti have all seen significant time during various seasons on the blueline since they last made the playoffs.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Canes joining the Metro Division was very bad for them. They've always built teams around speed and finesse, and that isn't going to fly in a division with a bunch of brutes. Yes, the Rangers aren't that tough up front compared to 2010-11 and 2011-12, but their D isn't soft. The Canes have a very soft D.

That kind of team Rutherford built he could get away with in the old Southeast Division which was the weakest division in hockey, but that's not going to fly anymore.

This whole series of articles coming out with Pierre McGuire and the Penguins is honestly sickening. I mean, I get it, he loves the Penguins, he even said that in the Puck Daddy article, but what does it matter? He's not GM. If any of us applied for Sather's job, would it be getting this much press. I'm tired of Pierre, always have been, and his love affair with certain players and organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg