Around the NHL Thread - The Amount of Drafts in July is TOO DAMN HIGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
So, how does Sheserkin get 4 years and 5.65 and Hart gets 3 at 3.959 or whatever? NHL GMS are terrible, or agents are really good…

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Philly can't afford for Hart to rebound next year and be looking for a massive deal, they know their defense was real bad last year. I truly believe Hart is the real deal and getting him for less than 4 for a few years let's them figure out their cap

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I know it's Eklund, but I just found it pretty hilarious. This is his quote.
A good source of mine tells me that Lundqvist is working out hard, playing it down…but “Of course King is about as crazy a competitor as they come and you can be sure if there is any chance he will be back in the NHL. A few teams have told him they would definitely give him a workout and good look when he is ready. His goal is to Win a Cup, not make a lot of money.”

This source would not confirm to me exactly what teams had talked to him, but when I asked about Edmonton he wouldn’t confirm or deny it in a way that leads me to believe they are on the radar for sure.

If he is even 80% he is the perfect style of starter the Oilers need.

Man, an aging Lundqvist who missed a year. in Edmonton. Would look good with Smith and Keith.
Wow. Do it Holland, give him a nice big contract.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Most Canadian clubs are requiring proof of vaccination in order to get inside the arena to attend a game this season. The Oilers only require proof that you are Covid free. Take the Rapid Test and if you pass... you're in buddy.
Is Oilers management worried that large numbers of their fans might not show up if forced to provide proof of vaccination?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Most Canadian clubs are requiring proof of vaccination in order to get inside the arena to attend a game this season. The Oilers only require proof that you are Covid free. Take the Rapid Test and if you pass... you're in buddy.
Is Oilers management worried that large numbers of their fans might not show up if forced to provide proof of vaccination?

Probably all teams will require vaccination eventually I think, all its going to take is 1 game causing an out break and any teams not requiring full vaccination will change atleast in Canada. It's just common sense at this point, really hope the Oilers decide to require it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Probably all teams will require vaccination eventually I think, all its going to take is 1 game causing an out break and any teams not requiring full vaccination will change atleast in Canada. It's just common sense at this point, really hope the Oilers decide to require it.
Well this is a team in a a city that has 50% of the syphilis cases in Alberta... so I really wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to do the smart thing.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Wowsers news here! But I like it, just using the system in place and payback for Aho. Obviously he's not worth 6.1 but man this is quite the hot stove moment in late August.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Wowsers news here! But I like it, just using the system in place and payback for Aho. Obviously he's not worth 6.1 but man this is quite the hot stove moment in late August.
This is the most interesting news since the Flames signed Dube.

The entertainment factor is about 1000x better - good old Hatfields vs. McCoys.

I also like how the Carolina Hurricanes twitter bio is now in French.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
The real thinker is that it's Quebec and they just might bite themselves in the foot to bite Carolina too...

A 1st and a 3rd and a Habs First + Player for Eichel? Solves the Habs Center problem...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't understand what Carolina is doing. They traded Ned because he wanted 3.5 million but then they offer sheet KK at 6.1? I guess they believe he is going to be a top line center.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Again, players have to sign those contracts. GM's can't use offer sheets if players don't sign them
Of course. But is there any reason why Kotkaniemi would turn this contract down? In one year, he'll be making almost as much as Dube will be making over 3 years and he'll have a 6.1m QO too.

Players hesitating to sign offer sheets isn't that big of an obstacle because they have no reason to be loyal to a team and help them with their cap management. Another benefit for the player is that offersheets accelerate the process of getting signed and ready for training camp when there's a stalemate in negotiations. They're just not often used because of the risk of retaliatory offersheets like these.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Of course. But is there any reason why Kotkaniemi would turn this contract down? In one year, he'll be making almost as much as Dube will be making over 3 years and he'll have a 6.1m QO too.

Players hesitating to sign offer sheets isn't that big of an obstacle because they have no reason to be loyal to a team and help them with their cap management. Another benefit for the player is that offersheets accelerate the process of getting signed and ready for training camp when there's a stalemate in negotiations. They're just not often used because of the risk of retaliatory offersheets like these.

Absolutely, that's a great deal for Kotkaniemi.

Everytime someone says GM's should use offer sheets more I just point out that players need to sign it. If Carolina had offered Kotkaniemi "a reasonable" contract for offer sheet, he wouldn't have signed it because most likely Montreal had already offered the same. So you need to overpay or find a team in a real cap hell, and player willing to leave

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The cap hit is definitely a risk for Carolina, but I love the balls behind it, and I think it's definitely an interesting move

Unlike Montreal, Carolina can shelter KK somewhat. Aho is the undisputed #1 centre, and is going to get the most focus from the top shutdown players, and Staal is going to draw the top defensive matchups, plus there's Trochek, Necas, etc. so they have the ability to insulate KK to a certain degree, and develop him to become the second line centre without the pressure of both the Montreal market and the responsibility he'd have on that team. This year, and the next on his Qualifying offer is an interesting two year experiment.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Carolina offering KK $6.1M and giving up a 1st and a 3rd for him, is down right stupid. He's worth neither of those...
Sometimes I just don't understand Carolina and what exactly they're trying to accomplish.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I think Carolina offering KK $6.1M and giving up a 1st and a 3rd for him, is down right stupid. He's worth neither of those...
Sometimes I just don't understand Carolina and what exactly they're trying to accomplish.

I don't think this is so much of a Carolina move as it is a Dundon move. Since he became the new owner, he's been very hands on with the organization and not at all shy about it. If he is behind this move, I think this is an example of a rich guy declaring to other teams not to f*** with him.

Of course, this is pure speculation on my part.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think this is so much of a Carolina move as it is a Dundon move. Since he became the new owner, he's been very hands on with the organization and not at all shy about it. If he is behind this move, I think this is an example of a rich guy declaring to other teams not to f*** with him.

Of course, this is pure speculation on my part.

I 100% agree. Carolina can’t really lose in this situation.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I heard an interview with Don Waddell on the radio the other day, and he explained that the reason they did not want to commit to Nedelkjovic was really more about not wanting to bank on youth in the crease at this point in their contention window. Whether that is the right decision or not is up in the air, but that decision in particular was not apparently about money.

I think this is a good move for Carolina regardless of how it plays out. A (presumably low) first and a third is a very low price to take a shot at Kotkaniemi for 1 or 2 years. The one-year deal does not anchor them in any way going forward.

There is no result of this that is really negative for Carolina. Even if Kotkaniemi turns out to be a complete bust, they can simply not qualify him, and probably not lose too much sleep over the picks. If he turns out to be good, but the QO is too pricey, they can probably trade him for an equal price. And if Montreal matches, they get to laugh even more about how much they have messed up the Habs' cap situation.

Reactions: Fig

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I heard an interview with Don Waddell on the radio the other day, and he explained that the reason they did not want to commit to Nedelkjovic was really more about not wanting to bank on youth in the crease at this point in their contention window. Whether that is the right decision or not is up in the air, but that decision in particular was not apparently about money.

I think this is a good move for Carolina regardless of how it plays out. A (presumably low) first and a third is a very low price to take a shot at Kotkaniemi for 1 or 2 years. The one-year deal does not anchor them in any way going forward.

There is no result of this that is really negative for Carolina. Even if Kotkaniemi turns out to be a complete bust, they can simply not qualify him, and probably not lose too much sleep over the picks. If he turns out to be good, but the QO is too pricey, they can probably trade him for an equal price. And if Montreal matches, they get to laugh even more about how much they have messed up the Habs' cap situation.

There's also the option that if Carolina DOES get him (Habs not matching), and he does work out, it's also possible that he agrees to an extension, at a lower number then his QO would be (it's not unheard of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad