Around The NHL - The Craig Morgan Vacation Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No. Were they right about firing him? "Those US bumpkins can't hockey" still sells the clicks in Canada.

I wouldn't be terribly excited about Waddell. But I wouldn't say it's horrible either. I like Dudley. I think everyone already knows Brindy from his existing role, and maybe they decided to roll the the dice on a guy they know and like.
Or "haha! Those rubes in Carolina are idiots. How do they even have a team?!"

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No. Were they right about firing him? "Those US bumpkins can't hockey" still sells the clicks in Canada.

I wouldn't be terribly excited about Waddell. But I wouldn't say it's horrible either. I like Dudley. I think everyone already knows Brindy from his existing role, and maybe they decided to roll the the dice on a guy they know and like.
Or "haha! Those rubes in Carolina are idiots. How do they even have a team?!"
Nice spin, I believe your initial post that I responded to was about the guy looking for new blood, not quite geriatric as it ended up. You don't want the media to keep pointing you out as a joke , stop acting like a joke. They pointed out the Coyotes were making a mistake to fire Tippet, still not that easy to say they were wrong.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So it was stupid to hire him aand stupid to fire him according to the same pundits... Nontraditional markets are just so stupid. I wonder why that could be? It wouldn't be that insecurity poking through, would it?

Maybe he kicked the tires around on other guys and wasn't able to close a deal or find someone he was comfortable with. The guy he's been working with in Waddell was his backup plan. So what? That's how Chayka got his job, too. He didn't seem like anybody's first option at the time.

Again, I'm extremely skeptical of hands-on ownership. It rarely ends well. But I also don't see anything blowing up in his face at the moment either. He's moulding the franchise his way. Most teams do.

That doesn't sell as well as "It's a circus in Carolina! What an idiot!"

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So it was stupid to hire him aand stupid to fire him according to the same pundits... Nontraditional markets are just so stupid. I wonder why that could be? It wouldn't be that insecurity poking through, would it?

Maybe he kicked the tires around on other guys and wasn't able to close a deal or find someone he was comfortable with. The guy he's been working with in Waddell was his backup plan. So what? That's how Chayka got his job, too. He didn't seem like anybody's first option at the time.

Again, I'm extremely skeptical of hands-on ownership. It rarely ends well. But I alaa don't see anything blowing up in his face at the moment either. He's moulding the franchise his way. Most teams do.

That doesn't sell as well as "It's a circus in Carolina! What an idiot!"
It would be more like stupid to promote him above the person that should have been his boss and maybe stupid to fire him when the roster is so bad. Just as stupid as those yelling It's a circus instantly is a guy like yourself thinking It's just Canada vs a non-traditional market. Some times It's exactly as it looks.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
'92-93 was the last Canadian cup. But other than Edmonton who finally earned a "circus" after how many years of complete ineptitude, how many "circuses" have been hung on the necks of Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal?

Just did a quick search of Sportsnet and TSN articles about Benning's extension in Vancouver. None of them have any extra commentary about a circus in them. "Just the facts, ma'am" approach.
Weird. Maybe it's a circus because they manufactured one.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
'92-93 was the last Canadian cup. But other than Edmonton who finally earned a "circus" after how many years of complete ineptitude, how many "circuses" have been hung on the necks of Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal?

Just did a quick search of Sportsnet and TSN articles about Benning's extension in Vancouver. None of them have any extra commentary about a circus in them. "Just the facts, ma'am" approach.
Weird. Maybe it's a circus because they manufactured one.
You obviously rarely watch Canadian media if you don't think Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, or Vancouver haven't been lynched in the media numerous times over the years. Calgary has gotten off a little better but still get whacked occasionally. Vancouver is kinda progressing and have few stories like Carolina in last two months so not really that good of a comparison,

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Del, just like the few media and occasional online trolls that let their hatred of non-tradional markets skew their thoughts on hockey in the South you are showing yours in regards to all things Canada. It doesn't make sense in either case.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think if Waddell is a better GM, there's a chance the Thrashers still exist. He put crap on the ice for 10 years in a row. It's not entirely on Waddell, not in the least, but had he put a marketable product on the ice, maybe the market would have responded better and ownership would have cared a little more.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think they make their living off of controversy and, "Oh, look, they are being dumb" gets clicks. I also think they pile it on nontraditional markets far more readily because they can get away with it. Noone from Raleigh is watching TSN, and it feeds the Make It Seven! Crowd at the same time.
So again, just because Dundon is the new clickbait doesn't really tell us what is going on.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
GMDM gets a huge pass for having ownership with no money just trying to survive whose one qualification was wanting a team.
Waddell gets crucified and he had ownership that hated each other, had money but wouldn't budget it to hockey, and was actively not wanting a team
Waddells track record before coming to Atlanta was pretty solid. He was given a budget less than or equal to the (pre-IA) Coyotes over the same time period. He was less than stellar under his "go-for it" years at the end therethere, but people on the chopping block do stupid things for short-term gain.
I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'm not sure it's all doomed.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Really crossing fingers for a Tampa, Vegas, Nashville, Washington final four... latitude-wise that would be *Awesome*. Screw the TV ratings. :-P

Winnipeg only works instead of Nashville for "fans of letters that come at the end of the alphabet" (T,V,W,W)

Reactions: doaner and AZviaNJ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No It's a circus, guy thought he could micromanage, pay little money, and still hire the best and brightest. And here we are a couple months later and he has weak management and a rookie coach. He is the cupircus, the media is just relaying the facts in this matter. Were they wrong about Tippet promotion??
It may be a circus in your mind, but the proof will be in the pudding. Let's see what happens.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
GMDM gets a huge pass for having ownership with no money just trying to survive whose one qualification was wanting a team.
Waddell gets crucified and he had ownership that hated each other, had money but wouldn't budget it to hockey, and was actively not wanting a team
Waddells track record before coming to Atlanta was pretty solid. He was given a budget less than or equal to the (pre-IA) Coyotes over the same time period. He was less than stellar under his "go-for it" years at the end therethere, but people on the chopping block do stupid things for short-term gain.
I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'm not sure it's all doomed.

Don Maloney didn't have Kovalchuk, Heatley, Hossa, or multiple very high picks. Also didn't trade three high picks for a rental of Keith Tkachuk.

Not sure Waddell's resume pre-Atlanta is all that impressive either. 1 year as AGM in Detroit and a decade of hockey ops in the old IHL.

I think this boils down to Waddell got the job because he was the only candidate willing to work for the lesser salary.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I was talking more about all his work for USA hockey. Which included General Manager time eventually. He didn't really get the "awful" label until the desperation Tkachuk trade (which was for one first, one second, one third, and a checking center).

And maybe it is salary based, but businesses make ROI salary decisions all the time.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I saw this thread title on the main board though I didn't see a link for this.

Capitals will have to pay $100,000 per hour to keep dc metro open for end of home games

Is that right? If so, that could be eating very heavy into the teams profit.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Jets and Preds designed to fight one another. whoever wins with no answers against Vegas. Vegas knackered, with no answers against a complete and experienced TBL.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I wouldn't count Vegas out if they meet Tampa in the final. Tampa would be the favorite, and for good reason, but Vegas can compete with them.

I think the pressure of being the Cinderella, first team in any sports/team expansion history of NA sports to be so successful would ultimately catch up with them. Tampa is also absolutely loaded, they can play physical, skills, special teams or fast fast fast.

I feel that's going to be a long series for the Caps.

Vezina Vasilevskiy has been quietly and discreetly good so far. I think he will step up and if he does not.....

THEY HAVE LOUIE AS BACK UP, what could go wrong?!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think the pressure of being the Cinderella, first team in any sports/team expansion history of NA sports to be so successful would ultimately catch up with them. Tampa is also absolutely loaded, they can play physical, skills, special teams or fast fast fast.

Vezina Vasilevskiy has been quietly and discreetly good so far. I think he will step up and if he does not.....

Hasn't almost everyone been saying that things will catch up to Vegas all season?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Tampa is more talented, but Vegas is pretty loaded too. Vegas isn't some Cinderella story who snuck into the playoffs and are playing above their heads, they've been dominating teams all year. I hope they meet in the finals, it would be an amazing series.

Also I think it'll be a short series for the caps, unfortunately for them.

Reactions: Northern Knights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad