OT: Around the NHL | Summertime Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Wow I'm getting old and dumb. I just read the NHLcom article and when I read ' Trotz resigned with the capitals ' I thought, wait I thought he left!?:confused:
Now I know resign and re-sign.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I remember reading a story on Trotz a few months ago that stated that he intended to retire after this season due to having a child with serious health issues. I remember it suggesting that the move from Nashville to DC was a major difficulty for the Trotz family and that Barry would be unwilling to do it again.

I think everything came together for him to retire on top and that's it.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I remember reading a story on Trotz a few months ago that stated that he intended to retire after this season due to having a child with serious health issues. I remember it suggesting that the move from Nashville to DC was a major difficulty for the Trotz family and that Barry would be unwilling to do it again.

I think everything came together for him to retire on top and that's it.

He didn't retire though, he resigned.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
If NYI can't find a deal for Tavares and allows Toronto to talk to him (which I think they can, right? He's UFA, they can speak to him but can't come to an agreement legally until July 1st?) I wonder if Matthews then wants out.
Listening to the arseholes here in Montreal on the radio the other day I am sure they said that teams now have a week prior to 1st July to talk to UFA's.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If NYI can't find a deal for Tavares and allows Toronto to talk to him (which I think they can, right? He's UFA, they can speak to him but can't come to an agreement legally until July 1st?) I wonder if Matthews then wants out.

Reading this Kovy crap I come to an understanding that they can reach a verbal, but can not sign anything until the legal date applies.

Which in essence means nothing if something better comes along.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can laugh, but I can also not. I remember the violent af Islanders from the past... they don't have the personnel now, but I'd hate to see it come back.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Trotz end up with the Islanders with some crazy contract to keep Tavares there.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Wouldn't be shocked to see Trotz end up with the Islanders with some crazy contract to keep Tavares there.
Islanders are doomed. Trotz just going to take a retirement contract. All the articles I read how JTav is so smart would null themselves if he signs back with the Isles. The sun god can coach the isles and it still won't make them grow into a threat.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Paul Fenton, former-press GM and now GM of the Wild, would be familiar with Trotz. Perhaps they push Boudreau aside and bring him in.

Besides, Trotz, as respected of a coach as he is, doesn't seem like a coach Lou would hire.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JR says we need to get deeper (Twss), I wonder if that means he's going to target some UFA's, I'd love for JR to look at that 4th line to create a strong 4th line unit, I think we have a fair amount of decent options for the top 9 though, defensively, oh man...good luck old man.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Islanders are doomed. Trotz just going to take a retirement contract. All the articles I read how JTav is so smart would null themselves if he signs back with the Isles. The sun god can coach the isles and it still won't make them grow into a threat.
I don't think the Islanders are doomed at all. I can't stand Lou, but he's a winner and a guy that demands the best and at times, at the sake of his own personnel and players he'll alienate them for it, but people know his track record and buy into it because of it.

Trotz coming to the Islanders is a huge change, a challenge to resurrect the glory years, to really test his mettle.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't think the Islanders are doomed at all. I can't stand Lou, but he's a winner and a guy that demands the best and at times, at the sake of his own personnel and players he'll alienate them for it, but people know his track record and buy into it because of it.

Trotz coming to the Islanders is a huge change, a challenge to resurrect the glory years, to really test his mettle.

All I can think of in comparison is Disco to Buffalo to steer the talent.
mmmmm.... no.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Trotz was almost fired the past two seasons though. He FINALLY got the team to be a whole of the sum.
Lou the guy is a legend no matter what.
Trotz was not the problem for why the Caps couldn't get past that hump, it was a 40+yr drought, not a 4yr one or however long Trotz was there for. Trotz is also like 5th for most wins, the guy is a proven winner, the Islanders don't need to win the cup right in their first freaking year, you know that right?

They need a semblance of balance, normalcy of making the playoffs, that builds up experience and momentum and drives people to the Island for more than just a big contract on a shit team like it usually is.

Trotz goes there, Isles make the playoffs, out in the 1st or 2nd round, that's a successful year for the Islanders, the next year, they try to move up and build on that. You don't go for home runs when you've had a team that messed up for that long. You go for base hits and keep building from there.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Trotz was not the problem for why the Caps couldn't get past that hump, it was a 40+yr drought, not a 4yr one or however long Trotz was there for. Trotz is also like 5th for most wins, the guy is a proven winner, the Islanders don't need to win the cup right in their first freaking year, you know that right?

They need a semblance of balance, normalcy of making the playoffs, that builds up experience and momentum and drives people to the Island for more than just a big contract on a **** team like it usually is.

Trotz goes there, Isles make the playoffs, out in the 1st or 2nd round, that's a successful year for the Islanders, the next year, they try to move up and build on that. You don't go for home runs when you've had a team that messed up for that long. You go for base hits and keep building from there.

"Trotz is fifth in NHL history with 762 wins, 20 behind Al Arbour for fourth place. He was 557-479-100 with 60 ties during 15 seasons with the Nashville Predators from 1998-2014 before joining the Capitals."

And the Preds did nothing until after he left. So a basic 500. coach. The Capitals propelled him with those 200 wins which he had no major turning point until this post season. That team was stacked beyond belief his whole tenure!

Isles are NOT in the same situation. Plus you work for the same company 20 years, you will be a top "" performer as well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
"Trotz is fifth in NHL history with 762 wins, 20 behind Al Arbour for fourth place. He was 557-479-100 with 60 ties during 15 seasons with the Nashville Predators from 1998-2014 before joining the Capitals."

And the Preds did nothing until after he left. So a basic 500. coach. The Capitals propelled him with those 200 wins which he had no major turning point until this post season. That team was stacked beyond belief!

Isles are NOT in the same situation.

Jesus f***, are you not reading anything I am writing? You're so tunnel vision on Trotz being some terrible coach that you are insanely out to lunch.

He was a coach of an expansion team that made the playoffs for 47% of the time he was there in 15yrs. If you take out the fact that the first 3-5yrs in an expansion team's time is actually finding some sort of way to establish itself, development, prospects that start to rise up, his time there is more impressive than just his win/loss record.

PS: By your logic, Mike Sullivan is an epic fluke, because his Winning % in Boston was just slightly better than Trotz's.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Jesus ****, are you not reading anything I am writing? You're so tunnel vision on Trotz being some terrible coach that you are insanely out to lunch.

He was a coach of an expansion team that made the playoffs for 47% of the time he was there in 15yrs. If you take out the fact that the first 3-5yrs in an expansion team's time is actually finding some sort of way to establish itself, development, prospects that start to rise up, his time there is more impressive than just his win/loss record.

PS: By your logic, Mike Sullivan is an epic fluke, because his Winning % in Boston was just slightly better than Trotz's.

I hope he goes to the Isles just so they can miss the post season and I can be vindicated.
There isn't anything much left to say other than you think he can and I think he can't.
I guess book this post for several months.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Tippet has joined the Seattle group as an advisor. Link
Does this mean we're now roughly two years out from a team in Seattle and a balanced league? If they're not the Kraken, I will be disappointed.
Honestly, what better choice did they register? Seals?

Kraken would also be great because it would get Detroit fans riled up about how the new team shouldn't have an octopus as a mascot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Honestly, what better choice did they register? Seals?

Kraken would also be great because it would get Detroit fans riled up about how the new team shouldn't have an octopus as a mascot.
Seals would be stupid unless you're Golden and Californian.

So in that case, Ponyboy, I'd say Kraken is the no brainer, like how do you even think about it? Register it, start the logo process, start the merch sales now because that is going to be a fantastic name and I've seen some Icethetics logos in regards to a Seattle Kraken jersey and it's fantastic. Having lived there for a brief time in my life, I have a weird dislike and love for Seattle, I'd totally buy a lot of that merchandise and see games.

WvGRUCe.jpg

- From Matthew Bell on Dribbble.

6gtnboD.jpg

- From Dmitry Krino on Dribbble - For this one, Seattle's ownership should buy that, pay the kid and use that.

Reactions: DegenX

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I get the sense that the Habs will be huge players this free agency period, likely having Bozak or Stastny (or both, they need both) end up there and maybe even making a huge push to land JVR.

I don't think the Habs have what it takes to land Hayes from the Rangers even if he's a guy that should be on their radar, like what could they realistically even move for him? They have like 4 second round picks, I wonder if they could package 2 of them and a prospect for Hayes and get that done, then they'd need one of Bozak or Stastny and I think they could make some noise if Price and Weber stay healthy.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Seals would be stupid unless you're Golden and Californian.

So in that case, Ponyboy, I'd say Kraken is the no brainer, like how do you even think about it? Register it, start the logo process, start the merch sales now because that is going to be a fantastic name and I've seen some Icethetics logos in regards to a Seattle Kraken jersey and it's fantastic. Having lived there for a brief time in my life, I have a weird dislike and love for Seattle, I'd totally buy a lot of that merchandise and see games.

WvGRUCe.jpg

- From Matthew Bell on Dribbble.

6gtnboD.jpg

- From Dmitry Krino on Dribbble - For this one, Seattle's ownership should buy that, pay the kid and use that.
Yeah, that's kind what I mean on the Seals, it's fine sounding, but has a history elsewhere. The list, as a whole, is pretty lackluster. Kraken is actually pretty intriguing.

I find it hilarious that Sockeyes is being blocked by some fantasy romance novelist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad