Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'd like to see Jack shoot more as well and he does pass up some good chances. But the argument that Jack isn't as effective as Mathews doesn't hold up IMO.

Eichel
- has either scored (2) or had the primary assist (5) on 7 ES goals.(7 total ESpts)
- 9 pts overall (2g 7a) in 7gms (1 PP assist/1 SH assist)
- Taken 19 shots/ shooting% = 10.5%
- Sabres are 19th in 5v5 goals (9 goals)/ 23rd in goals per game
- plays 15:30mins per night at ES/ 20: 43mins overall

Mathews
- has either scored (5) or the primary assist (2) on 7 ES goals. (8 total ESpts).
- 10pts overall (6g 4a) in 7gms (1g + 1 a on PP)
- Taken 19 shots/ shooting% = 31.6%
- Leafs lead NHL in 5v5 goals/ 1st in goals per game
- plays 14:55mins per night at ES/ 17:47mins overall

Mathews plays primarily just an offensive role on the best offensive team in the NHL. Jack plays roughly 3 mins more a night, is asked to do more things than Mathews is and until ROR woke up last game, has been carrying the offense. Its pretty fair to say he has a tougher overall role for us than Mathews does with the Leafs. Because of all this and the numbers above, I don't think there is much to base the effectiveness argument on.

Not directing this specifically to you...... But it seems like many are mad we aren't as good as the Leafs but bizarrely aim their frustration at Jack. So they nitpick his game in comparison to Mathews to vent.

I'm not in any way referring to their play this season. Nor their role on the team.

I'm referring to how they process the game in real time. How quickly they decide to do what they do and how appropriate that choice is given the options.

Both are far bettter than the average player. But when parsing the difference between elite players, Matthews processes faster and better.

Next time or two Toronto plays, watch Matthews in isolation as best you can on a regular broadcast. Specifically look for the time he takes to start to execute. If your careful you will see a slight, but regular difference between the timing. Eichel is 85% efficient with being in rhythm for when options open up and hitting that perfect moment of opportunity.

With Matthews it's a little tighter. Say 93%. If you pay close attention he not only picks his moment, but when it's there he leaps at it.

They kind of remind me of Crosby and malkin, Crosby is pure precision with huge talent and Malkin is pure talent with a lot of precision.

The difference between Eichel and Matthews is probably the least significant difference in the rebuilds of Toronto and Buffalo, what a weird thing for people to fixate on.

Reactions: Lilou

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Next time or two Toronto plays, watch Matthews in isolation as best you can on a regular broadcast. Specifically look for the time he takes to start to execute. If your careful you will see a slight, but regular difference between the timing. Eichel is 85% efficient with being in rhythm for when options open up and hitting that perfect moment of opportunity.

With Matthews it's a little tighter. Say 93%. If you pay close attention he not only picks his moment, but when it's there he leaps at it.

And the players and system Eichel has played in and with for going on 3 seasons has nothing to do with this?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
And the players and system Eichel has played in and with for going on 3 seasons has nothing to do with this?

Not particularly. It's the kind of innate thing that is who a player is. For example Reinhart is very fast in his decision making, but doesn't have the skills to do what Matthews or Eichel can do.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It's about watching them play. The players they play with are taken into consideration when analyzing them.

It's not just the talent levels of teammates it's how they play, Babcock is hockey's best coach - Eichel is at a big disadvantage, the Leafs D are mediocre defending but excellent when they get the puck on their sticks.

I'm a Mathews fan and I do think he's a better all-round player than Jack but in his defense Mathews has been in a much better situation than him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's not just the talent levels of teammates it's how they play, Babcock is hockey's best coach - Eichel is at a big disadvantage, the Leafs D are mediocre defending but excellent when they get the puck on their sticks.

I'm a Mathews fan and I do think he's a better all-round player than Jack but in his defense Mathews has been in a much better situation than him.

And that situation certainly helped Matthews to produce significantly as a rookie. But it doesn't have much to do with Matthews instincts and how as a rookie he came ready to think at an elite level.

Look back at the World Cup thing from last year.

Matthews hadn't played in the NHL yet, wasn't on a Babcock developed team, and his sense and speed of thought were immediately evident.

This analysis is not question of who under the best circumstances would be the most productive.

It's simply who thinks the best and most efficient to winning the game.

Reactions: bigbizze and Lilou

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh joy, new revisitations of the Kane-Bogo/Myers deal. I wonder which side will be claiming "best trade evvaaaa" after Lemieux's debut?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I never valued Chychrun very highly, and don’t have any regret for the Sabres passing on him. I view him as a young player who was physically mature almost like a Zach Bogosian. But Sergachev? ya that stings a bit. McAvoy as well but no one really had him in the mix at 8 anyway.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I never valued Chychrun very highly, and don’t have any regret for the Sabres passing on him. I view him as a young player who was physically mature almost like a Zach Bogosian. But Sergachev? ya that stings a bit. McAvoy as well but no one really had him in the mix at 8 anyway.

Baker did.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
8 was a very draftable spot for McAvoy. I said numerous times that I would take him at 8, and it wasn't far off at all from where he was expected to go.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Toronto has the best odds of winning the Cup in Auston Matthews second season...while we continue to look terrible year after year...fun times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad