Around The NHL - Back in the Saddle Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
A big monied guy that recently moved to the state. Unknown on name and what he’s about. At the time he was in talks with buying barroway out completely and finding and funding a new “multi” sports arena.

All my Christmas wishes...

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thanks as always SR. Fingers crossed.

No team in Canada will move out of Canada now or in the future, period. Even suggesting that is ignorant.

Winnipeg? Quebec? It was under the old system, but still.

Even the current arrangement in Winnipeg is overly dependent on tickets sold since the corporate base is nothing to speak of (Quebec's is even worse).

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Even the current arrangement in Winnipeg is overly dependent on tickets sold since the corporate base is nothing to speak of (Quebec's is even worse).

Plus, IIRC they have an ongoing subsidy of some sort from the City of Winnipeg that helps bolster their bottom line.

Reactions: Mosby

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No team in Canada will move out of Canada now or in the future, period. Even suggesting that is ignorant.
Nonsense. A further drop in the Loonie might make ownership of Calgary dependent upon heavy subsidies or a move to Seattle or Houston. Never say never.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks as always SR. Fingers crossed.

Winnipeg? Quebec? It was under the old system, but still.

The Jets owners have deep pockets. If Quebec gets a team the owners will have deep pockets also.

Nonsense. A further drop in the Loonie might make ownership of Calgary dependent upon heavy subsidies or a move to Seattle or Houston. Never say never.

The Loonie dropped before and nothing happened. The current NHL is set up for such things with revenue sharing etc.

Better listen to him Jakey.

Even Canadians are hedging on either of those two teams staying where they are long term.

Guys, Canadian teams are not moving. NHL need the Canadian teams and their revenue and they will not allow these teams to move. The NHL will find new owners before moving them, just like Carolina. Same goes for the Coyotes.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Guys, Canadian teams are not moving. NHL need the Canadian teams and their revenue and they will not allow these teams to move. The NHL will find new owners before moving them, just like Carolina. Same goes for the Coyotes.
Calgary is not looking for new ownership, they're looking for a new arena. If they don't get it they could move. That's why Canadian teams have moved in the past - not for lack of revenue per se but for lack of a barn.

The only bulletproof Canadian market is Toronto.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Calgary is not looking for new ownership, they're looking for a new arena. If they don't get it they could move. That's why Canadian teams have moved in the past - not for lack of revenue per se but for lack of a barn.

The only bulletproof Canadian market is Toronto.

It's a different NHL today. Most of the NHL revenue comes from the Canadian teams, so the NHL will never, and I mean NEVER subtract a Canadian team. Canada wants more teams not less. The BOG will never pass a vote to move a Canadian team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's a different NHL today. Most of the NHL revenue comes from the Canadian teams, so the NHL will never, and I mean NEVER subtract a Canadian team. Canada wants more teams not less. The BOG will never pass a vote to move a Canadian team.

Canada can want as many teams as they like. There's only one more market where the NHL can go (besides a second Toronto team), and that's QC, and even that is a stretch because of the market size.

If the Flames' owner decides he's going to move because he can't extort an arena from Calgary, the NHL is not going to stop him - especially if he moves the team to Houston.

Toronto and Montreal generate the most revenue for the league, yes. Every other Canadian NHL team could be in danger of moving elsewhere given the right circumstances.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The last thing I want is for Calgary to move. I don't want any team to move because it drives its fan base into becoming predatory, e.g. Winnipeg and to a lesser extent QC. The fewer people like that in the world, the better.

That doesn't change the facts on the ground, that Arizona, Calgary and Ottawa are all at risk of relocation, in that order IMO.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The last thing I want is for Calgary to move. I don't want any team to move because it drives its fan base into becoming predatory, e.g. Winnipeg and to a lesser extent QC. The fewer people like that in the world, the better.

Hear hear. It'd be wonderful if the league was healthy enough top to bottom to build some long-term equity in all markets. I don't know of another league in the world where franchise relocation is more devoutly worshiped by so many of its fans.

On the other hand, I despise the kind of political strong-arming that Calgary and Arizona are undertaking to get the taxpayers to build them new buildings. I'd rather see the teams move than see another group of taxpayers get saddled with the kind of debt - not to mention the payback of derision and loathing they get as payback for taking that burden on, like Glendale and its residents have weathered.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Calgary has already slipped into a receiver of revenue sharing too.

I can see the Coyotes moving to Houston. Natural fit, very desirable for the league. If you believe what you read, no new arena by the end of this year means they are gone.

Calgary I can see being shunted to QC as a warning to other cities that the league will make good on threats if they don't get public dollars for an arena.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Canada can want as many teams as they like. There's only one more market where the NHL can go (besides a second Toronto team), and that's QC, and even that is a stretch because of the market size.

If the Flames' owner decides he's going to move because he can't extort an arena from Calgary, the NHL is not going to stop him - especially if he moves the team to Houston.

Toronto and Montreal generate the most revenue for the league, yes. Every other Canadian NHL team could be in danger of moving elsewhere given the right circumstances.

That doesn't change the facts on the ground, that Arizona, Calgary and Ottawa are all at risk of relocation, in that order IMO.

I can see the Coyotes moving to Houston. Natural fit, very desirable for the league. If you believe what you read, no new arena by the end of this year means they are gone.

Calgary I can see being shunted to QC as a warning to other cities that the league will make good on threats if they don't get public dollars for an arena.

You guys are all daydreaming. The BOG would never allow this, and I mean NEVER. As hard as the NHL has worked to keep the Coyotes here do you really think they will move two Canadian teams at the flick of a switch. There is too much money on the table for this to happen. Worst case scenario is a Carolina.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If the team isn't staying here, Houston would be ok. It's not too far off timezone wise, it's still desertish, and I doubt they'd pull a Winnipeg and ignore our history. Of course I'd prefer they stay, but when you're approaching a decade of instability, you have to be prepared for less than perfect outcomes.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Some of you folks want so badly to point at a Canadian market and laugh that you have gotten delusional with your relocation stuff. You really believe an NHL owner would leave a guaranteed full building forever for the possibility that the next building might be full?? It's a simple game of extortion that the Flames are losing in the Public domain, as soon as they see that they will agree to a reasonable agreement and the building will be built. Thankfully Calgary has a Council with a brain unlike many Municipalities that just bend over for billionaire owners that just make them richer on the public's back. Looking at you Edmonton.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Some of you folks want so badly to point at a Canadian market and laugh that you have gotten delusional with your relocation stuff. You really believe an NHL owner would leave a guaranteed full building forever for the possibility that the next building might be full?? It's a simple game of extortion that the Flames are losing in the Public domain, as soon as they see that they will agree to a reasonable agreement and the building will be built. Thankfully Calgary has a Council with a brain unlike many Municipalities that just bend over for billionaire owners that just make them richer on the public's back. Looking at you Edmonton.
And therein lies the rub. what building? Calgary needs a building. Ottawa doesn't have a guaranteed full building. They maye the Glendale mistake, putting the arena out of easy reach of their customers.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
And therein lies the rub. what building? Calgary needs a building. Ottawa doesn't have a guaranteed full building. They maye the Glendale mistake, putting the arena out of easy reach of their customers.
Calgary will be building an entertainment district closer to the River, just West of Downtown. Location has been kinda decided, money is the issue being debated. The Flames got too greedy, when they get a little more reasonable deal will be done. Ottawa already has a deal to build in Lebreton Flats, near downtown, again with money being the part left to figure out. It will also get done. Ottawa situation with regards to present location is worse than Gendale with distance compounded by only only one route.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Calgary will be building an entertainment district closer to the River, just West of Downtown. Location has been kinda decided, money is the issue being debated. The Flames got too greedy, when they get a little more reasonable deal will be done. Ottawa already has a deal to build in Lebreton Flats, near downtown, again with money being the part left to figure out. It will also get done. Ottawa situation with regards to present location is worse than Gendale with distance compounded by only only one route.

Exactly. These two teams will never be allowed to move.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Some of you folks want so badly to point at a Canadian market and laugh that you have gotten delusional with your relocation stuff.

Well, I'm not one of them. I hate the idea of relocation as a general principle, regardless of international borders. But - and I can't stress this enough - I hate even more sports franchises that extort millions of dollars out of taxpayers to get a free or nearly free facility. I particularly hate it when the franchise gets nasty about it like Calgary and Arizona have gotten. In those cases, I'd love to see the team leave rather than sucker in a bunch of rubes like the league and the Coyotes suckered Glendale... and how they're trying to sucker the East Valley.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Well, I'm not one of them. I hate the idea of relocation as a general principle, regardless of international borders. But - and I can't stress this enough - I hate even more sports franchises that extort millions of dollars out of taxpayers to get a free or nearly free facility. I particularly hate it when the franchise gets nasty about it like Calgary and Arizona have gotten. In those cases, I'd love to see the team leave rather than sucker in a bunch of rubes like the league and the Coyotes suckered Glendale... and how they're trying to sucker the East Valley.
COG had delusions of grandeur. They thought that if they built a hockey arena and spring training facilities it would put Glendale on the map, in the same ballpark, so to speak, as Scottsdale and Phoenix. Glendale screwed itself.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Don't forget the fact that the Coyotes already have a nice arena that we bought for them. Other than one miracle season, the team has played mostly boring, bad, losing hockey. Funny how that never comes up when they talk attendance. It's always location. Just like the rest of the USA these days, the Yotes blame their woes on others. Nobody wants to take responsibility for themselves. Corporate welfare is just another extension of that. Give me a new arena because I can't stay rich supporting myself. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad