Around the NHL II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Not to pile on but everyone knew that Foligno was not the answer except Dubas and he convinced Leafs nation that he was the missing piece, what they got was a washed up hockey player who got injured and didn't contribute one bit, for that alone Dubas might be a goner

My absolute favourite part was all the analytics adjacent pundits who had convinced themselves it was a great trade--"yeah, he's bad and cost what an all star should get as a rental, but it's a great fit."

I said at the time that the best aspect of that awful trade for the Leafs (sic) was to price their competition out of the rental market but it turns out they acted too late to stop their actual competition from adding Staal and Gustafsson.

This Foligno trade will truly be the gift that keeps on giving.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Wait, did I read somewhere in this thread that the Leaf's gave up a #1 for Foligno or was I hallucinating?

Had there ever been two more smug teams than the Laffs or Coilers going into the playoff's?!

I was originally of the impression it was a 1st and a 4th for a salary-retained Foligno. Then found out it was 2 4th rounders along with a 1st.

Still makes me laugh

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wait, did I read somewhere in this thread that the Leaf's gave up a #1 for Foligno or was I hallucinating?

Had there ever been two more smug teams than the Laffs or Coilers going into the playoff's?!

This was supposed to be a cake walk for them they said. Yes the Leafs gave up a first round pick for Foligno for some reason

Reactions: sipowicz

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Your right -- I don't think any team would want to swallow that contract, for a player that produces like Marner, and does not show up in the playoffs. He should consider himself a lottery winner.

I don't think anyone would want that contract for the player as described. I don't entirely agree with that description though.

So far, he has 25 pts in 32 PO games. That is not exactly failing to show up in the PO. Prior to this year it was 21 in 25. Also, look at his PO performance in Jr. It is not the NHL, but it still ramps up the intensity. He was spectacular.

I do think he is overpaid by a couple of mil. He gets too much for a winger. He gets too much for a setup man. For that money he needs to either be a C or more of a goal scorer. But if TML would retain a couple of mil, I think he has a lot of trade value - to the right team.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I was originally of the impression it was a 1st and a 4th for a salary-retained Foligno. Then found out it was 2 4th rounders along with a 1st.

Still makes me laugh

This was supposed to be a cake walk for them they said. Yes the Leafs gave up a first round pick for Foligno for some reason

Well, didn't you all know that the Leafs 1st round pick was guaranteed to be #32 overall so it mattered very little, basically the same as a second round pick!

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba

And they have a grand total of 6 picks in the next 2 years of drafts. 3 this year, 3 next year. Going all in a few years in a row for 1st round and "play-in" exits have significantly hindered the future as well. Wow, what a mess. Enjoying every second of it!

Cypruss

Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
And they have a grand total of 6 picks in the next 2 years of drafts. 3 this year, 3 next year. Going all in a few years in a row for 1st round and "play-in" exits have significantly hindered the future as well. Wow, what a mess. Enjoying every second of it!

Has anyone also mentioned that for next year, they have 12.5 million of cap space and need to sign at least 10 players still??

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

The cupboards are bare...

Reactions: Cypruss

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

I prefer Soilers over coilers..because they soil themselves during the playoffs
010BF167-D914-417E-911F-F2913D3EC7C7.jpeg

..and Edmonton definitely shit themselves during the playoffs

Cypruss

Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Going to be a lot of bargain hunting and trash bin diving to fill out the roster, I guess. They almost have to trade one of their big contracts, one would think?

Going to have to...suspecting Marner, but return will be lighter than they expect. Need a goalie in those 10 to sign for 12.5 million as well. LOL - They are still paying Phil Kessel 1.2 million under their cap next season :laugh:

schmockeyknife

Apr 7, 2021
He may not be "great", but I would take him and his $700,000 salary to be on our 4th line any day. Huge improvement over Lewis and Thompson.
yeah spez is a good pro and seems to be a class act. still has game too.

i prolly got a little soft spot for him from the ottawa days when the sens were my young son's fave team.

Reactions: surixon

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
The good analytics minds seem to be comfortable in their assessments since they know outliers exists and it's an opportunity to bask in the magic that is the Leafs (sic) ineptitude.

But the analytics-adjacent pundits and the dumbasses are getting real defensive about this one:

Imagine thinking two teams that added Zach Bogosian are even examples of analytics teams. Which specifically points to the real reason that analytics don't work--nobody's who's ever in a position to double down on them ever does. None of them have the stomach to see it through to its logical conclusion. Dubas won the civil war then just did the same things Mark Hunter would have done anyhow. @garret9 summed it up nicely:

The Leafs weren't an analytics team. They were following the Jim Rutherford Penguins model: have your elite, tanked-for core and add shitty dinosaur-beloved players to them until something clicks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Spezza has had a great career and his 75 playoff points in 92 games tells me he's also shown up and played well in the playoffs.

I would welcome him on the Jets if he would come here.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad