Around the NHL - 2023 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Dahlin is 100% worth that, he is fantastic and if Buffalo is anywhere close to the playoffs this year i expect him to be a Norris finalist.

Between Sanderson and Dahlin, the market is starting to crystallize for ELC -> RFA defensemen. Something to keep an eye on for Luke and Nemec.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, forgot Dahlin was already on his 2nd contract. But still. We should be paying attention to how much young blue chip defensemen are getting paid.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Dahlin is 100% worth that, he is fantastic and if Buffalo is anywhere close to the playoffs this year i expect him to be a Norris finalist.

Between Sanderson and Dahlin, the market is starting to crystallize for ELC -> RFA defensemen. Something to keep an eye on for Luke and Nemec.
this is dahlin’s third contract, he was making $6m on his second contract. if we sign luke to an 8 year contract after his elc it should be closer to sanderson

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
No bridge to Luke, Simon and Dawson.
I don't think we will have a choice. The team will be looking to maximize cup contention during the next few years and there will be no room to pay everyone what the long-term market rate would be.

Be mentally prepared to trade Mercer for picks in like two years if the team runs into some cap problems.

The kids will have to wait til Haula and Palat are off the books to get huge raises. Also, we will have to see how the goaltending shakes out and whether we can keep getting away with paying like 4M total for that.

Not sure where the line is on the "8 years to your 24 year old star player is a smart move no matter what the AAV" is. Seems like literally any AAV would be praised.
My hope is that these overpays to Dahlin, Sanderson (and Nurse before that) are due to the teams being in more undesirable locations that rarely sign free agents anyway. And the hope is that the Devils will now be a desirable location.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't think we will have a choice. The team will be looking to maximize cup contention during the next few years and there will be no room to pay everyone what the long-term market rate would be.

Be mentally prepared to trade Mercer for picks in like two years if the team runs into some cap problems.

The kids will have to wait til Haula and Palat are off the books to get huge raises. Also, we will have to see how the goaltending shakes out and whether we can keep getting away with paying like 4M total for that.

My hope is that these overpays to Dahlin, Sanderson (and Nurse before that) are due to the teams being in more undesirable locations that rarely sign free agents anyway. And the hope is that the Devils will now be a desirable location.
Cant agree. Devils have 22 mil under the cap for the next season and everything they need is sign Schmid and Mercer. And Mcleod. Its enough to make long term deal to Mercer(6.5-7.5-8 mil),and give something the same Quinn Hughes or Jake Sanderson actually have now after the second year of Luke will end (7.5-9mil). Its math, not feeling. There are plenty of talented young players they will invite, there are enough vets on the market they will sign for cheap because Devils is contending team. Or because vets could want to raise their value on the line with Hughes or Nico, like Bertuzzi is doing it right now in Toronto.

It is not necessary to compose problems and incorrect narratives from false premises.If something happens, deals of Haula and Palat are not even close to the worst things, which the teams quite calmly got rid of.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Prosvetov to Colorado is the most interesting of the bunch. Had some hype before turning pro. AHL numbers don't jump off the page, but looks like Tucson's left their goalies out to dry in recent years.

Kinda surprising Tampa didn't claim a goalie, but maybe they have to do some paper transactions with the cap and then they can seek out a trade more easily?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Man fans really haven't grasped how elite player salaries, especially D-man salaries, haven't kept up with cap inflation.

Chara signed for 7.5M when the cap was 44M. Estimated cap next year ~87.5M. Chara would be making nearly 15M with a similar cap percentage. Lidstrom also signed that year, for even more.

Well maybe you say to me "Friend MasterofGrond, Dahlin is not as good as those players" to which I say, sure. Let's look at guys getting contracts right around 13% of the cap between the lockouts. 31 year old Bryan Mccabe, 32 year old Timonen, 32 year old Dan Boyle, Dion Phaneuf, Brian Campbell.

I mean, even without the benefit of hindsight, I'd rather have Dahlin than those guys at that point in their career right? People out here posting "well it's an overpayment right now, maybe it's ok if he grows into it while the cap goes up" smh.

Last edited:

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Man fans really haven't grasped how elite player salaries, especially D-man salaries, haven't kept up with cap inflation.

Chara signed for 7.5M when the cap was 44M. Estimated cap next year ~87.5M. Chara would be making nearly 15M with a similar cap percentage. Lindstrom, even more.

Well maybe you say to me "Friend MasterofGrond, Dahlin is not as good as those players" to which I say, sure. Let's look at guys getting contracts right around 13% of the cap between the lockouts. 31 year old Bryan Mccabe, 32 year old Timonen, 32 year old Dan Boyle, Dion Phaneuf, Brian Campbell.

I mean, even without the benefit of hindsight, I'd rather have Dahlin than those guys at that point in their career right? People out here posting "well it's an overpayment right now, maybe it's ok if he grows into it while the cap goes up" smh.
I don’t care how much he’s paid as long as he gets his comeuppance for that bs reverse hit/interference non-call he put on Nico last season. That Cabbage Patch Doll faced f***er needs to go down and go down hard. I have spoken.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Not ruling out a sign and trade with us just yet, with the Jets retaining 50%

1696880105551.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad