Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.tsn.ca/the-work-continues-and-begins-with-ken-dryden-s-game-change-1.886555

First, let's talk about the book.
Then the issue.
It's called Game Change: The Life and Death of Steve Montador and the Future of Hockey. It's written by Hall of Fame goaltender and acclaimed author Ken Dryden.
As you would expect -- coming from the man who wrote the definitive hockey book in 1983, The Game -- Game Change is excellent. Well written. Well researched. Well reasoned. Informative. Intriguing. Thought provoking.
As the title suggests, it is first and foremost a story on the life of Steve Montador and how he went from being a fun-loving, quintessential, hardcore NHL "hockey guy" to a depressed, manic and deeply damaged young man who was dead at age 35.
But there are two other stories being concurrently told in this book: the story of the NHL, how the game is played, how it's changed and how it's governed; the story of medicine and science and how they relate to brain trauma, concussions if you will, and the advances in this field; and how those two stories have become intertwined with Montador's.
I knew of Steve Montador, obviously. But I did not actually know him, though after reading this book I feel like I might have an understanding of what it was like to know him. Either way, it's a poignant story of a life lost far too soon, so very, very sad.
But Dryden was not content to only tell Montador's story. This book is also a blueprint of sorts on how Dryden feels the game of hockey in the NHL should be played and governed. It is nothing less than a direct challenge from Dryden to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to take action. Very specific action. Now.
"Two small changes," Dryden writes in the book. "No hits to the head; no finishing your check."
If that sounds overly simplistic, well, it is and it isn't.

http://www.macleans.ca/sports/heres-how-gary-bettman-can-fix-hockey-its-easy/

Here’s how Gary Bettman can fix hockey. It’s easy.

Hockey legend Ken Dryden on his new hockey book and the simple rule changes that could ease the number of concussions in his beloved game

I think this book will be on my Christmas list.

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Hell, they could be there this year. They just send waves of talented forwards at you. It's impressive. Matthews gets the headlines, but they roll multiple lines with tons of skill.
Yeah, they're probably the fastest paced team in the league, which is hard to adjust to given 70+ other games to prepare for.

And they have like 6 lines of dudes who can play top 9 glue minutes.

The one upshot for the haters is potential friction from Babs. He would rather approach 100% possession and win 1-0 than control shots and chances in a 6-3 track meet. It's already causing some blips like Marner getting dropped to the fourth line, and their current defensive personnel will always be the enemy of the perfect, so I'm interested to see how that develops.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sorry... Matthews is on another level than Jack at this time.

Good news is Jack has the ability to be on that level.

He just needs to want it.

Edit: Leafs with 4 goals on 5 shots.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Sorry... Matthews is on another level than Jack at this time.

Good news is Jack has the ability to be on that level.

He just needs to want it.

Edit: Leafs with 4 goals on 5 shots.

Matthews is a stud. Take nothing away from bim.

But he's also at the top of his game right now IMO. He's already at 6-4-10 in 7 games. I also don't really see him blossoming into much more. A true premier Goal scorer. Potential to be a 50-40-90 guy yearly, with maybe a 100+ point season or two sprinkled in.

Jack has a higher ceiling IMO. He hasn't quite hit his stride yet and has 2-7-9 in 7 games. Jack has the shot to score 40 and the vision for 70+ assists.

Once Eichel realizes that not only can he shoot and score from basically anywhere in the zone, but that he can also drive to the net and get into the ugly areas to score as well , more goals will definitely come for him. Right now he looks pass too much, doesn't attack the net enough. Maybe he never will become that type of player, but the possibility is definitely there.

Matthews is as he is IMO. A true superstar. I just think Jack has the skill to be a notch better. The question is, will Jack ever reach his peak level?

As is, Matthews arguably has the edge in terms of who is poised to become the better player. Kind of like how Ovi was the front runner vs Sid to a lot of people early on. As the years went on, Sid clearly became the better player.

I think Jack will become the clear favorite in the matchup in another season or two.

Reactions: DanM

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver

But he's also at the top of his game right now IMO. He's already at 6-4-10 in 7 games. I also don't really see him blossoming into much more. A true premier Goal scorer. Potential to be a 50-40-90 guy yearly, with maybe a 100+ point season or two sprinkled in.

Jack has a higher ceiling IMO. He hasn't quite hit his stride yet and has 2-7-9 in 7 games. Jack has the shot to score 40 and the vision for 70+ assists.

Once Eichel realizes that not only can he shoot and score from basically anywhere in the zone, but that he can also drive to the net and get into the ugly areas to score as well , more goals will definitely come for him. Right now he looks pass too much, doesn't attack the net enough. Maybe he never will become that type of player, but the possibility is definitely there.

Matthews is as he is IMO. A true superstar. I just think Jack has the skill to be a notch better. The question is, will Jack ever reach his peak level?

As is, Matthews arguably has the edge in terms of who is poised to become the better player. Kind of like how Ovi was the front runner vs Sid to a lot of people early on. As the years went on, Sid clearly became the better player.

I think Jack will become the clear favorite in the matchup in another season or two.

Idk if I necessarily agree with you, but you make some valid points. We haven't seen the best of Eichel yet, which is intriguing. Matthews is already a superstar and may very well be at his peak. That peak could last for the next 15 years though.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Montreal is just bad, bottom feeder. At least we have Eichel. I'd look at making a deal with them but they have nothing I'd want.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Listen, I am a true Eichel and hockey fan first and foremost, and you could be exactly right. However, I believe Matty is just scratching the surface of his potential, he just turned 20 guys, not 25 LOL he has many levels to go, as does Jack of course. If we use this logic Mcdavid will never get any better and is at the level he will always play at..... you know this is not true, you guys are better than that. If anything Eichel is more physically mature than every young player and is as good as he will get, kid is a beast.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Montreal is just bad, bottom feeder. At least we have Eichel. I'd look at making a deal with them but they have nothing I'd want.
At least Carey Price will ensure they cant tank properly fpr years and will continue to suck for a very long time. We are in a bad place but we are still much better off than MTL

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
At least Carey Price will ensure they cant tank properly fpr years and will continue to suck for a very long time. We are in a bad place but we are still much better off than MTL

They are so screwed, $10M of the cap tied up in a goaltender, and you're right a goaltender who will prevent them from sinking to the very bottom where your best chances are to get franchise players through the draft.

Nashville should be concerned, if Shea Weber retires before the end of his ridiculous long contract, they are going to be hit hard by recapture penalties. Montreal becoming a perennial lottery team would hasten his retirement.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Guys, I must apologize. I read the post earlier about Eichel having room to grow and Matthews not. I proceeded to get pissed and made an off the cuff remark generalizing the Sabres fans on the main board. I never do that, I guess that whole narrative has been thrown in my face a lot lately lol anyway, I just wanted to say sorry as I like to always remain diplomatic and supportive of all teams and fanbases. I don't ever want to come off that way when chatting hockey on here with you guys :)

Reactions: AustonsNostrils

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

The difference between Matthews and Eichel, is that Matthews is on a team that's flying high right now. Firing on all cylinders. If he has a bad game there's waves of talent backing him up. Granted, he's talented enough that those off nights are few and far between... but I'd be interested to see in 5 years when Toronto can't afford all those kids, or can't afford the pieces around them. Maybe get a few Moulson's or Pouliot's signed. And see if he can carry the team solely on his back like Eichel has had to since coming into the league.

I'm surprised Eichel is above a PPG right now. The Sabres have been terrible and even he's looked off some nights with no one, or no inspired morale-boosting play from his teammates, to help him snap out of it. Now THAT'S impressive.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
What Dreakon said. ^

Toronto and Buffalo are an easy comparison but it's not really a good one based on circumstances. Same with Eichel and Matthews.

Matthews ended up being the last piece of the puzzle in Toronto. They hired one of the best coaches in the league with a modern possession system. The team already had Bozak, Kadri, and Gardiner developed. Rielly, Nylander, and Marner were already in the organization and developing. Matthews stepped into a perfect situation and the team took off.

That should have happened in Buffalo, but it didn't. Granted, the Sabres acquired O'Reilly, Kane, and Bogosian, all developed players. They had Ristolainen, McCabe, and Reinhart in the organization and developing. So it looks similar. But then Buffalo hired Dan Bylsma, who brought with him a system which didn't work with the players on the team. That's where the comparison falls apart. Bylsma set the team back two years. Eichel should've been the last piece to the puzzle as well, but he ended up being added in the middle due to a bad coaching hire.

The only consolation to Buffalo's situation is they added Nylander and Mittelstadt. So all is FAR from lost for the Sabres. But the team is on a different timeline that the Leafs now.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The difference between Matthews and Eichel, is that Matthews is on a team that's flying high right now. Firing on all cylinders. If he has a bad game there's waves of talent backing him up. Granted, he's talented enough that those off nights are few and far between... but I'd be interested to see in 5 years when Toronto can't afford all those kids, or can't afford the pieces around them. Maybe get a few Moulson's or Pouliot's signed. And see if he can carry the team solely on his back like Eichel has had to since coming into the league.

I'm surprised Eichel is above a PPG right now. The Sabres have been terrible and even he's looked off some nights with no one, or no inspired morale-boosting play from his teammates, to help him snap out of it. Now THAT'S impressive.

It works both ways. The team is able to utilize and shelter their lines they was they are doing right now because Matthews is taking the hardest matchups and producing while shutting down the opposition. It's not as if they are still using Kadri as the 1C. Matthews is leading the charge and the trickle down effect is that it's making life easier for everyone else. So to imply that Eichel is carrying the team and Matthews is pretty disingenuous.

Another thing about Matthews being close to his ceiling. He still hasn't figured out the PP as well as Eichel has, so he has a lot of improvement to do over there. I can also see him getting even better defensively.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Matthews is simply a smarter more intuitive player than Jack.

They have similar quality shots, but Matthews knows where he is and what he wants to do with the puck and therefore he rips off quick shots with little wasted motion or time. Eichel almost never gets off his shot quickly, instead taking time to look over a pass option or a shot and then try to beat a set goalie. When he does shoot quickly, off a pass for example, he often scores or gets a great chance.

The only thing keeping Jack on Matthews level at all, is Jack's freak athletics. His skating is just filthy for a guy his size and it creates a lot of opportunity for Jack to get more time and space than Matthews typically produces.

Hopefully he can build towards being more decisive with the puck, but that is a tough thing to "learn" at this stage of development.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Matthews is simply a smarter more intuitive player than Jack.

They have similar quality shots, but Matthews knows where he is and what he wants to do with the puck and therefore he rips off quick shots with little wasted motion or time. Eichel almost never gets off his shot quickly, instead taking time to look over a pass option or a shot and then try to beat a set goalie. When he does shoot quickly, off a pass for example, he often scores or gets a great chance.

The only thing keeping Jack on Matthews level at all, is Jack's freak athletics. His skating is just filthy for a guy his size and it creates a lot of opportunity for Jack to get more time and space than Matthews typically produces.

Hopefully he can build towards being more decisive with the puck, but that is a tough thing to "learn" at this stage of development.

Yeah, I don't really like to talk about Matthews, because everybody just freaks out, but he is on another lever when it comes to understanding the game. Like you said, where to be at all times and quickness of his shot are huge differences in their games. When you combine that with how quick he is laterally with his lower center of gravity and his really quick stick, he's really something to watch.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

What makes you think Matthews is as he, but Jack has room to grow especially with Jack being older than him? Just because Matthews is already the better player, doesn't mean he doesn't have room to grow. With the idea that Matthews is already this good, much like McDavid, it's absolutely scary how much better he can become. For all we know, we might be seeing Jack's best and Matthews may have more room to grow because of a much better coaching situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad