Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm sure having 13 players playing for a new contract is helping Vegas' cause to some degree. March just signed an extension today bumping his salary up next year quite a bit.

The Florida internal budget has helped this team a lot. They were also gifted some pretty good players because of other considerations. But that is a team giving 1/3 of their top six to them...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm sure having 13 players playing for a new contract is helping Vegas' cause to some degree. March just signed an extension today bumping his salary up next year quite a bit.

They only have $40 million committed to next year's team. If guys want to stay, McPhee will probably be able to get them all inked with relative ease as long as the owners are okay spending.

The Florida internal budget has helped this team a lot. They were also gifted some pretty good players because of other considerations. But that is a team giving 1/3 of their top six to them...

Florida just...it's going to take them three years to make up for the six months their ownership went nuts.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
But here is my odd Vegas question. Can MAF turn himself into a HHOF if they keep this up?

Fleury -
Top 5 Vezina voting finishes = 0
Top 5 All Star Voting finishes = 0

No way.
I don't like "accumulators."
He simply isn't and wasn't ever considered among the very best at his position. I think you need to be there at least 5 years in your career to warrant consideration.

It's why I can't see Ozzie ever getting in either.

Mike Vernon was a little closer.
Three top 5 Vezina finishes. A couple more years at 8, 10 and 11. Plus he won a Smythe.
But still, I think he's iffy.

Cujo is another borderliner.
5 top 5 Vezina finishes.
3 more years in the top 10.
3 years with Hart trophy votes (never higher than fourth).
Plus he has some nice "accumulator" numbers
But he never won a cup.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Montoya to EDM for a conditional 4th or 5th.

Wonder what kind of indicator this is for Mrazeks value if/when he gets traded.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

And 23+ players all playing with a chip on their shoulder for being rejected in some form or fashion by their previous org

Montoya to EDM for a conditional 4th or 5th.

Wonder what kind of indicator this is for Mrazeks value if/when he gets traded.

Mrazek has next to no value with those stats getting zero starts. Montoya wasn't much better but he has a much longer track record of being an insurance goalie.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
leaf fans are getting real tired of babcock
I was talking with my buddy who lives in Toronto today about the things he was hearing about Babcock on the radio. It was pretty funny, just shit about Hyman being paid like a fourth liner so play him like a fourth liner and he's good at digging out pucks, but he should be digging out pucks on the fourth line. He's a Vancouver fan so he was having fun too.

I personally was having a great time listening to ESPN Chicago guys getting pissed off about the state of the Hawks. Saying things like they knew at some point it was going to go down hill, but they figured they still had a couple more years. And man oh man, that Seabrook contract. John Jurkovic, Chicago native and ex-Green Bay Packer and Jaguar, was really worked up calling for the rebuild. Loved every second.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I was talking with my buddy who lives in Toronto today about the things he was hearing about Babcock on the radio. It was pretty funny, just **** about Hyman being paid like a fourth liner so play him like a fourth liner and he's good at digging out pucks, but he should be digging out pucks on the fourth line. He's a Vancouver fan so he was having fun too.

I personally was having a great time listening to ESPN Chicago guys getting pissed off about the state of the Hawks. Saying things like they knew at some point it was going to go down hill, but they figured they still had a couple more years. And man oh man, that Seabrook contract. John Jurkovic, Chicago native and ex-Green Bay Packer and Jaguar, was really worked up calling for the rebuild. Loved every second.

they're in an eerily similar situation to the 2010 red wings. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Toews these past couple of seasons is clearly a step down from 2010 Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Kane still isnt showing any signs of regression and is still a top player. Keith is regressing, but hes still much younger than Lidstrom was at the time.

I think their window for retooling is a bit longer than ours was due to Keith not being 40. Do they take that route that we did or do they do a more significant rebuild which we never did? As i said, i'm curious to see how they handle this

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
they're in an eerily similar situation to the 2010 red wings. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Toews these past couple of seasons is clearly a step down from 2010 Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Kane still isnt showing any signs of regression and is still a top player. Keith is regressing, but hes still much younger than Lidstrom was at the time.

I think their window for retooling is a bit longer than ours was due to Keith not being 40. Do they take that route that we did or do they do a more significant rebuild which we never did? As i said, i'm curious to see how they handle this

Keith is regressing from a lower point than Lidstrom as well. I don't think he has been his normal self either this year. Crawford was actually playing unbelievable to help cover a lot of their problems. Everyone knew the Seabrook contract was a disaster before the ink was even dry.

I think that Saad deal will haunt them. I like him as a player but the hey we can jump start Toews that way at the expense of Kane's first true running mate was incredibly stupid.

I said back in the pre-season that I thought they were likely to miss the playoffs. They don't have the depth, their backend is in decline and now they have massive goaltending issues. Kane is good enough to go on a tear and maybe squeak into the playoffs but it will be a hammer job like what happened to them last year in my opinion.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Keith is regressing from a lower point than Lidstrom as well. I don't think he has been his normal self either this year. Crawford was actually playing unbelievable to help cover a lot of their problems. Everyone knew the Seabrook contract was a disaster before the ink was even dry.

I think that Saad deal will haunt them. I like him as a player but the hey we can jump start Toews that way at the expense of Kane's first true running mate was incredibly stupid.

I said back in the pre-season that I thought they were likely to miss the playoffs. They don't have the depth, their backend is in decline and now they have massive goaltending issues. Kane is good enough to go on a tear and maybe squeak into the playoffs but it will be a hammer job like what happened to them last year in my opinion.

Honestly i liked the Panarin-Saad trade at the time. As i see it, they could have gone "all in" with Panarin on his last year then lost him in free agency afterwards. I dont think they believed they were good enough to go all in based on the last two seasons, so they traded him away for 5 years of Saad which they hoped would spark Toews (as you said) and more importantly extend their cup window which assuredly would have closed after Panarin's departure for nothing.

Obviously Saad has disappointed, as has Toews

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What do you guys think about McDavid this year?

I think it's fair to say he's been disappointing considering the hype and his skill set. I know his team sucks but I don't really get all the excuses he's getting. He's supposed to be the best player in the world.

There's a thread on the main board and I find the response ridiculous. It's okay to say someone is having a disappointing year. I was hoping he would hit 120 but he's barely on pace for 90.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It’s not disappointing. It could turn out that way but it’s not. It’s more about kucherov having an amazing year. If he doesn’t. Mcdavid is in the art Ross race (he already is but he won’t win unless a great streak happens or one of them goes cold)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad