Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I appreciate that you are taking a measured response to the trade, but we overpaid for MSL (never mind that both of our first rounders in that trade ended getting traded to our historically biggest rival) and we traded Miller for a guy who had one more point than him while playing with two of the best players in the league, while Miller was playing mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines. I get that you want to wait and see how things play out, but to me, Miller for Namestnikov is CLEARLY lopsided in Tampa's favor, as was the MSL trade.
Miller did not play significant time on the 4th line. He was juggled throughout the top 9.

Their scoring might not be even but namestnikov is 10x the player J.T. Miller was in his own zone

Reactions: Inferno

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Miller did not play significant time on the 4th line. He was juggled throughout the top 9.

Their scoring might not be even but namestnikov is 10x the player J.T. Miller was in his own zone

Miller may be the better overall player but hockey is a team sport and Namestnikov solved our need for a 3rd line defensive centre. He is silently one of the reasons our play, and our transition play particularly is a lot better. We score goals more easily as Hayes and Fast more prominently are both freed from their defence-first roles.

It is not a surprise that while our systematic defensive mistakes remain we are playing more like a team on the playoff bubble than the bottom dwellers we were prior to the trade - and we have to take into account that we are playing the likes of O'Gara, McLeod like they trying out for the male lead roles in Fury 2: The Return of the Sherman.

Point being, with improvements to the 4th line and 3rd pair we could make the playoffs with the current roster over an 82-game season. No thanks to the coach, just the pieces fit better. Both Spooner, Namestnikov have been wonderful additions to our team.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

Won't argue that Nams is better defensively - and just so I'm clear, I don't hate Namestnikov or think he sucks - he's on the team now and I'll be rooting for him to succeed. But I will argue that I think J.T. is bigger, stronger, hits harder, is a better passer and has a better shot and I think we should have gotten more value for a 25 year old, 50 point winger. It's often said that when fans of both teams hate the trade, it's probably a fair trade. I didn't see a whole lot of Tampa fans hating that trade. I saw a lot of Rangers fans that did. The impressively patient and even keeled @Edge said this:

"Personally, I would not have made the trade.

But I am also willing to give it time to see how it shapes up."

To translate that from patient, measured, unflappable Edge-speak into typical HFNYR poster-speak, "That was a bad trade".

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Won't argue that Nams is better defensively - and just so I'm clear, I don't hate Namestnikov or think he sucks - he's on the team now and I'll be rooting for him to succeed. But I will argue that I think J.T. is bigger, stronger, hits harder, is a better passer and has a better shot and I think we should have gotten more value for a 25 year old, 50 point winger. It's often said that when fans of both teams hate the trade, it's probably a fair trade. I didn't see a whole lot of Tampa fans hating that trade. I saw a lot of Rangers fans that did. The impressively patient and even keeled @Edge said this:

To translate that from patient, measured, unflappable Edge-speak into typical HFNYR poster-speak, "That was a bad trade".
Namestnikov isn’t going to be our worst forward 10 games a year like miller is.

Less volatility

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

That is pretty much where I am at as well. I think Miller is a better player than Namestnikov. I do not like that both the prospects and the picks that were returned have a below top line/pair projected ceiling. Given what they moved out they should have received at least something that had a higher projected ceiling.

Overall I am not thrilled with the trade but am hoping the Rangers do better with the return than I think they will, I mean that is about all I can hope for, that they beat the odds.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
That is pretty much where I am at as well. I think Miller is a better player than Namestnikov. I do not like that both the prospects and the picks that were returned have a below top line/pair projected ceiling. Given what they moved out they should have received at least something that had a higher projected ceiling.

Overall I am not thrilled with the trade but am hoping the Rangers do better with the return than I think they will, I mean that is about all I can hope for, that they beat the odds.
Losing trades to Tampa is becoming a tradition.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

The trade isn't an outright loss because the story isn't full written yet. What if Tampa gets knocked out in the second round and Miller doesn't score again in the playoffs? That team has gotten too content and they have a very young goalie who is exhausted who they have to keep playing because Boston is right on their heels. What if McD leaves after next season?

Also what if both Hajek and Howden become strong contributors to the Rangers during the next 2-3 years? And there's always the chance the picks become a gem. Patience friends.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I knew the Rangers were going to have to gamble, so it's not like I am saying they messed up too much.

I'm not sure why the 2nd pick had to be conditional at all, really not sure why the condition had to be Tampa winning the cup.

Beyond that I would have liked to see them get something that had a higher percentage of turning out to be top pair or top line but I was never really believing they would get that if the trade was with Tampa. In a way I kind of believe the Nash trade has more promise to return that should things break right.

All in all, considering all the moves I think they did about what they could but it still leaves me concerned about where the cream of the crop stuff comes from. I would have liked to see them flip some of the roster players they received back right then and there to lessen the chances of them winning more games than they had to after the deadline.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Stepan hit 50 points. I am so surprised.

He's doing it with Keller as his only consistent linemate. I think he is playing with Panik right now.

With scoring up this season, he falls into the top end of 2nd line center scoring, but if he was on a better team the entire season, could have been a 60 point season for him. Still would have preferred to keep him, but all he would have done is kept AV his job most likely.

Reactions: Rangers_23

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Can't believe how well the tank has taken a turn in the last couple of days. Not been able to watch, but what a difference a few results going your way make it. If the Islanders had managed to turn that Tampa game in that third period as well, wow.

Saying that. Chicago have obviously decided to give up playing NHL level hockey.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I have noticed that the value of late firsts seems to have diminished over the last four seasons. Back then, I was made to believe they were the most valuable thing in the world.

Feels like late firsts carry a ton of value in their literal name. Especially when you put them in a package.

Lot of people are turned off by an actual player, but the 26th pick? That's a first rounder. That could be anything! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad