Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I think it's a bit soon to be saying this, but I can see the argument. His goal scoring ability combined with his size, strength, and obvious talent for puck possession have turned Toronto into an instant powerhouse. He's a monster.

It is very early obviously but right now Matthews is the much more well rounded player. He has a lot of tools and abilities that McDavid doesn’t have while really only lacking the crazy rocket skates that make McDavid special.

It’s not a perfect comparison but for me it’s kinda like a Kane vs Crosby debate. Do you want the high scoring offensive guy or the one that will contribute in every zone and score a bunch of goals.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
McDavid is like a cross between Bure and Lemieux. Mathews to me is like a cross between Sakic and Crosby. McDavid does not have the finish of Mario though and I doubt he ever will.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
McDavid to me is Bure; except a complete package player. Matthews to me is a young Eric Staal.

I don’t think either of them should be mentioned in the same breath as Mario, Wayne or Sid.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
McDavid to me is Bure; except a complete package player. Matthews to me is a young Eric Staal.

I don’t think either of them should be mentioned in the same breath as Mario, Wayne or Sid.

I don’t think McDavid is on Mario’s level, yet. He might become that, though. Even Jagr said he’s never seen a player play the way McDavid does, so that’s a pretty big compliment considering who he played with. I think McDavid has the potential to impact the game more than Crosby has (a lot of that has to do with injuries in Sid’s prime). He’s not there yet, but his hockey skill is undeniable and 100% generational. I haven’t seen a jaw dropping skill set like that since Mario. But I fully agree he’s got a long ways to go to be mentioned in that tier.

I think Mathews could be easily be seen as the games #2 best player in time. He’s electric and dominant and more well rounded than McDavid. I think he could be the Ovechkin to this generations Crosby.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
McDavid is big Bure on steroids.

Matthews kinda reminds me of prime Eric Lindros minus the physicality.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I don’t think McDavid is on Mario’s level, yet. He might become that, though. Even Jagr said he’s never seen a player play the way McDavid does, so that’s a pretty big compliment considering who he played with. I think McDavid has the potential to impact the game more than Crosby has (a lot of that has to do with injuries in Sid’s prime). He’s not there yet, but his hockey skill is undeniable and 100% generational. I haven’t seen a jaw dropping skill set like that since Mario. But I fully agree he’s got a long ways to go to be mentioned in that tier.

I think Mathews could be easily be seen as the games #2 best player in time. He’s electric and dominant and more well rounded than McDavid. I think he could be the Ovechkin to this generations Crosby.
Agreed with this. McDavid has speed and the ability to do things at high speed like no other player. He has excellent hands and vision while playing at such a fast pace. This is what catches players off guard a majority of the time, and he blows past the defenders while controlling the puck.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I agree completely. Not a big Crosby fan at all but Sid has proven he's the best in his generation by winning 3 cups and 2 Olympic Golds. Feel the same way about Tom Brady but love Lebron for some reason :laugh:. McDavid probably does have the talent to be up there but I prefer to see players prove they can live up to the hype before putting them in the legends conversation. Right now he has an Art Ross and a Ted Lindsay trophy along with the highest cap hit ever and a 100$ million dollar contract.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Just to be clear, I was initially talking about playing style comparisons. Not so much level of play. But Connor could likely go down as a top 10 (or better) of all time player.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Clayton Keller has 9 goals, 6 assists in 13 games

As good as Tkachuk has been, a top line of Gaudreau-Keller-whoever would rival Stamkos-Kucherov as one of the best in the league.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
the highest cap hit ever and a 100$ million dollar contract

I know you said cap hit and all but this post inspired me to look up some of the highest salaries ever. Jagr and Sakic both have earned north of 16m in a season before, with Jagr almost reaching 17.5 million! Even recently, Weber was earning 14m per year on his contract, but that dropped to 12m now I believe. Crazy numbers for Jagr

Here's the site I used http://www.puckreport.com/2013/01/nhl-highest-paid-players-by-year.html?m=1

Also how great is Lebron. 7 straight finals? Damn.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Am I crazy for saying I would give slepyshov a shot on the flames? Youngish, big right shop. Did well in other leagues... might just have that damn oil stink. Wouldn't give up anything useful for him though because screw the oilers

Reactions: Dr Always Right

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Pens up on the Grease 3-2 with about 8 to go off a PPG from Malkin. I just love the 2017-18 Edmonton Oilers.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Pens played really well. We'll have trouble with them tomorrow night, especially if our bottom six stays dry.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Only just seen the Kings are 10-2-1. Knew they started off well but not that well

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
it'shappening.gif

Also couldn't be happier this takes the Flames out of the Duchene "sweepstakes".

Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC
Avs broadcast says Avs get Samuel Girard and Vladislav Kamenev...

And a 2nd from NASH. Also Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, a first and a third from OTT

Turris is signing a 6 years, $36M deal in NASH

So, 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, Bowers, Hammond, Girard and Kamenev for Duchene. Wow indeed; Sakic's patience pays off in a big way.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't understand how that price can be justified for 'upgrading' Turris to Duchene. I get that there's one extra year, but that's brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bowers and Girard are probably an overpayment for “upgrading” from Duchene to Turris. In all honestly, if I was managing a team I’d take Turris over Duchene just due to personal preference.

Duchene is more skilled and more flashy, but Turris is more consistent. It’s entirely feasible that Duchene busts in Ottawa, he will likely not but it’s pissinke and that’s an extremely steep price to pay for top 6, known commodity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad