Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Lol remember how many people actually believed the Oilers are going to miss the playoffs after the first 2 months of the season? :laugh:

Having said that I agree with (apparently) most people predicting the Stars are going to destroy the Oilers. Yep. They will. Oilers will probably still take 2 games because McDavid gets special treatment and they will end up having a couple too many Powerplays in one or two games that wins them two games eventually but even in those two games I expect them to be heavily dominated 5on5 and on all other metrics.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hate the Edmonton Oilers , have Gretzky and company all those years and we had some very good Jets teams but had to always play those bastards early in the playoffs and nobody could beat them. They get all those Stanley Cups and then get really shity and get gifted the next Gretzky in McJesus. Go Dallas Go.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hate the Edmonton Oilers , have Gretzky and company all those years and we had some very good Jets teams but had to always play those bastards early in the playoffs and nobody could beat them. They get all those Stanley Cups and then get really shity and get gifted the next Gretzky in McJesus. Go Dallas Go.
To me all that beloved rivalry from the wha days should bring us closer together when we are not playing them. Vs Dallas who? I have no connection to Dallas, they aren’t just another prairie town, where they played hockey outdoors in freezing weather just like us.
I can get behind McD, the greatest Canadian hockey player of this decade, he just needs that cup to cement his place in history.
I can’t really get behind any stars and their stories, they just seem meh, in their generic green jerseys.
Pavelski, retire already.
I even could root for Rangers. They struggled through all those Lunqvist days without ever being able to put it together. They got the whole skating in lots of romance movies. Yes they were gifted laf. I also would love to see Wheeler lift the cup and immediately announce his retirement. Our long serving leader, who led for example, for many years and gave his all to Winnipeg and the Jets, before being discarded because we thought we would do better without him. He got the final laugh, by finally hoisting the cup, would make a great story.

Dallas should stick to football and basketball. Florida can get lost too.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Disagree. I think it should be any Canadian team over an American team. Hockey in Dallas just sounds wrong.
Disagree here. Texas has a significant number of professional hockey franchises when factoring in the various leagues. It seems fairly inevitable that Houston will get one sooner rather than later.

Since the North Stars moved to Dallas they have always had very solid support. I'd equate them to Nashville in terms of strength of fan base, if not stronger. They've been a completely legitimate franchise from the start.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I could have lived with the Canucks winning it but PDO is a fickle mistress. I would never cheer for the Oilers to win given the trauma they caused in Jets 1.0. If Jets had won a cup in 1.0 or 2.0 era I might be more forgiving, but not now.
Have said this in past years and will say again the only Canadian team that I want to win the SC is the Jet

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Have said this in past years and will say again the only Canadian team that I want to win the SC is the Jets
The only team i ever want to win the Cup period is the Jets, once they are out i don't care who wins anymore. But there are some teams i don't want to win and at the top of that list is Edmonton and Toronto.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Paul Maurice and his cats? I enjoy watching him do well.

6323614012112-1024x576.jpg

images

star_wars_return_of_the_jedi_emperor_palpatine_smiling.jpg

Didn't use the force much when he was here .........................

• Love
Reactions: kanadalainen

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Disagree here. Texas has a significant number of professional hockey franchises when factoring in the various leagues. It seems fairly inevitable that Houston will get one sooner rather than later.

Since the North Stars moved to Dallas they have always had very solid support. I'd equate them to Nashville in terms of strength of fan base, if not stronger. They've been a completely legitimate franchise from the start.
That’s fine you just have different criteria than me. I’d consider most southern Americans illegitimate. I base it on do you get natural ice, snow, are there any nhl players from your city, is there a sizeable population who play hockey from Dallas.

I don’t think number of professional teams or number of fans who support your team.
Minnesota north stars at least had kids playing and produced a number of nhlers.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
To me all that beloved rivalry from the wha days should bring us closer together when we are not playing them. Vs Dallas who? I have no connection to Dallas, they aren’t just another prairie town, where they played hockey outdoors in freezing weather just like us.
I can get behind McD, the greatest Canadian hockey player of this decade, he just needs that cup to cement his place in history.
I can’t really get behind any stars and their stories, they just seem meh, in their generic green jerseys.
Pavelski, retire already.
I even could root for Rangers. They struggled through all those Lunqvist days without ever being able to put it together. They got the whole skating in lots of romance movies. Yes they were gifted laf. I also would love to see Wheeler lift the cup and immediately announce his retirement. Our long serving leader, who led for example, for many years and gave his all to Winnipeg and the Jets, before being discarded because we thought we would do better without him. He got the final laugh, by finally hoisting the cup, would make a great story.

Dallas should stick to football and basketball. Florida can get lost too.
Great post, and I see your point

But f*** Edmonton nonetheless

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Edmonton almost got knocked out by a team playing their 3rd string goalie and having one of their best players not even showing up in the playoffs.

Cheer for who you want.... But if Dallas just keeps playing the way they have been, I don't think people will need to worry about Edmonton advancing. In fact , I don't think people need to worry about Edmonton winning a game.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Edmonton almost got knocked out by a team playing their 3rd string goalie and having one of their best players not even showing up in the playoffs.

Cheer for who you want.... But if Dallas just keeps playing the way they have been, I don't think people will need to worry about Edmonton advancing. In fact , I don't think people need to worry about Edmonton winning a game.

I think Edmonton could take a game or two. They played very well yesterday and they're better defensively than they get credit for. Their issue is that their secondary scoring is extremely limited. I think Dallas' depth ultimately wins out but it should be a decent series.

I think we get a Dallas-Florida final.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
That’s fine you just have different criteria than me. I’d consider most southern Americans illegitimate. I base it on do you get natural ice, snow, are there any nhl players from your city, is there a sizeable population who play hockey from Dallas.

I don’t think number of professional teams or number of fans who support your team.
Minnesota north stars at least had kids playing and produced a number of nhlers.
Natural ice? Define natural ice and its duration? Vancouver gets natural ice? For a couple of days a year, arguably similar to what New York gets, probably less and the Rangers are an original six team.

What is the sizeable population delineation point? Number of rinks? Arbitrary based on geography isn't really much of a criteria. (not sure if image will show or not, look up number of rinks by state and you'll find it- "where can you play some hockey")

You are correct, we have different criteria. As for Minnesota, that state renders many Canadian provinces as irrelevant by your criteria, including dear old Manitoba.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I wonder if there is any chance Tampa would trade Cernak..

Doubt it. I don't think the idea was to trade for a 34 year old left shot d-man making $6.75m for 2 more years to replace a 26 year old right shot d-man making $5.2m for the next 7 years. Also looking at their cap friendly, adding McDonagh increases their number of playable defencemen to 4.

Cernak has an NTC anyway.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I guess the Dude is n an American. He is in the movies.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Natural ice? Define natural ice and its duration? Vancouver gets natural ice? For a couple of days a year, arguably similar to what New York gets, probably less and the Rangers are an original six team.

What is the sizeable population delineation point? Number of rinks? Arbitrary based on geography isn't really much of a criteria. (not sure if image will show or not, look up number of rinks by state and you'll find it- "where can you play some hockey")

You are correct, we have different criteria. As for Minnesota, that state renders many Canadian provinces as irrelevant by your criteria, including dear old Manitoba.

A) I’m surprised Texas has so many rinks.

B) any reason that a person decides to cheer for a place is arbitrary not based on logic. Therefore, my answer is mostly emotional not logical.
A lot of people are cheering against Edmonton, because they got Gretzky and Mcdavid, so what?
A lot of people cheer for the jets because that’s where we are from. We are from Canada so taking the connection we have to the jets one step further we should root from any Canadian team.
All Canadian teams are underdogs. Have a smaller population, are not as rich have a harder time attracting fa then American teams.
Thinking that a team deserves a team because it’s cold and bitter, vs sunny, hot dessert is a silly argument, even though that’s the one I am making.
Growing up, peggers would play hockey whether we had the jets or not, I can’t imagine the same is true for Texans.

So what is your criteria? Any place big enough to have enough fans deserves a team?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad