Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
did we not integrate pefetti into the lineup? am I mistaken or was he not part of the top 6 to start the season? did we not leave him in the top 6 when we got monahan? did he not only have his minutes cut because he only had 1 point in 23 games?
I don't agree with him getting benched. But if any other top 6-9 player went a quarter of the year with so little production this place would be going insane.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
To be fair, both Laf and Byfield went through stretches just like Cole did at his age and were demoted/scratched
Byfield finished the season on the coldest of stretches. He scored exactly one goal in his last 20 regular season games and that one goal was in the last game of the year. Then in the playoffs he went goalless in 5 games . So in his last 25 games he had 1 goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Patently untrue about Stankoven. Take a look at his game logs to end the the season and start the playoffs.

Stankoven had 1 goal in the last 18 regular season games and zero goals in the first 9 playoff games. That is a stretch of 27 games with one goal. In that time he was never demoted, sent to the press box and didn’t have his ice time decreased. They stuck with him and it is paying off.

@surixon

He got demoted after an 11 game cold stretch and the rest was from the 4th line where no one scored.
Stankoven had two separate 4 game pointless stretches and one 3 game stretch

Perfetti went 15 in a row without a point. He also had a 6 game pointless streak in December

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Mercer went 20 with 4 points including 0 in his first 10 in the top 6. No demotion or loss of ice time.

Lafreniere had a stretch of 6 points in 20 games playing on their top line and didn't see a demotion. (Had a number of 11 game blocks where he put up 3 or 4 points)

Byfield scored 2 goals his last 23 games and never lost his ice time.

Simply put players slump at times. Everyone of his contemporaries had a rough 11 games in the top 6 like him. None where demoted to the fourth line due to it.

Also quit confusing goals and points. His slump in the top 6 was one assist in 11 games. Similar to Byfields 1g 1a in 11 games, Mercers 0 points in 11 games and Lafs 3 assists in 11 games cold spells. Hard to compare fourth line production with any of those players as he was the only one marooned there.

Also if we want to compare to other Jets. KC had an equally cold 2 points in 10 games but kept getting 20 minutes a night this past year.
Coming into this season, Byfield had played 99 NHL games. Laf had played 216. Cole had played 69.

Byfield was was still playing AHL games when he was at the same point in his career that Perfetti was when he went cold

Laf was certainly getting 4th line minutes and healthy scratches 69 games into his career

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Coming into this season, Byfield had played 99 NHL games. Laf had played 216. Cole had played 69.

Byfield was was still playing AHL games when he was at the same point in his career that Perfetti was when he went cold

Laf was certainly getting 4th line minutes and healthy scratches 69 games into his career

Sure and both weren't performing as well as Cole was on the whole at that stage of their careers. The point is that performance levels this year where incredibly similar and a couple of orgs elected to be more patient whereas ours panicked.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sure and both weren't performing as well as Cole was on the whole at that stage of their careers. The point is that performance levels this year where incredibly similar and a couple of orgs elected to be more patient whereas ours panicked.
Looks like it's working out OK for one org, not so much for the other

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looks like it's working out OK for one org, not so much for the other

Worked out well for Carolina as Jarvis slumped hard last year scoring 1 goal in his last 23 games. They also stuck with him and he performed well for them in the playoffs and took a big step forward this year.

Wanting a bit more big picture thinking by this org shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Worked out well for Carolina as Jarvis slumped hard last year scoring 1 goal in his last 23 games. They also stuck with him and he performed well for them in the playoffs and took a big step forward this year.

Wanting a bit more big picture thinking by this org shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.
Well I mean when Lundell slumped a bunch of guys used it to justify why Perfetti was the better pick... so there's that

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Does every fkn thread have to turn into the cole perfetti stalker club.
Imagine if Connor went a stretch of 23 games with 3A

As it is there's a poster advocating for putting him on the 4th line lol

People's obvious biases are both frustrating to deal with but also amusing to see

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Disclaimer: The following is *not* a paid annoucement by the Cole Perfetti stalker club, nor is it in any way shape or form reflective of the OP's sentimentality.

++++++++++++++

The algorithm to Perfetti's 2nd line use full-time might look like this:

Cole Perfetti

Koal Perfecto

5-Hoal Electro

main-qimg-95daa5af4e8819832400d3a89f4f4d16

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Stars once had Benn and Seguin as their top talent. Their coaching staff was clever enough to bump them down from their top units to give ice time to guys like, you know, Hintz and Robertson - that's the talent that is now making way for the Johnstons and Stankovens of the world. Nobody there is playing 20 a night, which helps them accommodate their talented youth into a role where they can actually make a difference. Aside from Heiskanen (who's a defenseman anyway), nobody is playing anywhere near "too much".

When you compare that to our system of two scoring lines, the Lowry unit and table scraps, you'll see the difference. We could incorporate new talent, but we're making it damn difficult for ourselves by not opening up the spots for our guys.

Not angry (fortunately), but it's getting rather tiresome to see the same people pushing the same excuses for the same things that the organisation handles poorly in the same fashion.
I have given no excuses, what the Jets and the coaching staff accomplished during the regular season is unbelievable to me and absolutely should be given alot of accolades especially playing in one of the best divisions in hockey. How they played in the playoffs was awful and hopefully with a new coach next season we can fix that because to me there was no reason everyone played so shity from Helly out.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Disclaimer: The following is *not* a paid annoucement by the Cole Perfetti stalker club, nor is it in any way shape or form reflective of the OP's sentimentality.

++++++++++++++

The algorithm to Perfetti's 2nd line use full-time might look like this:

Cole Perfetti

Koal Perfecto

5-Hoal Electro

main-qimg-95daa5af4e8819832400d3a89f4f4d16
So we should have paired him with nic ehlectricity

Cole's move to the press box was because of his prolonged scoring slump. Isn't that exactly what you're recommending?
Jets were probably traumatized by vesalainens 50 game drought

Reactions: kanadalainen
Nov 24, 2006
I see the Jets interviewed Berube for HC. I wonder how he would address the youth in the line up? Seems like the type to hold the vets accountable as well. And the SC pedigree might be a missing link that moves the yards sticks for the club. Who knows.
Where did you see this?

Reactions: SUX2BU

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Cole's move to the press box was because of his prolonged scoring slump. Isn't that exactly what you're recommending?

As I've said a gazillion times now. I have no issue using ice time as a means to punish poor performance if it's also used as a means of rewarding good performance. Do people not understand this. I wouldn't have a huge issue with him being benched for his slump if Bones also rewarded him with more ice time when he was playing really well. But the coach used it just as a means to punish and he only really did it with a younger player to boot. There were numerous other players who stunk up the joint for us cough Pionk cough that actually got promoted instead of demoted due to terrible play.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Jarvis played 13:52 per game in his first full year. This is Perfetti's first real full year in the league and he played 13:35. Maybe we can wait a year before we decide if he's being ruined by not giving him more ice time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I can do that, but I am going to address this. I doubt it will change your mind but maybe someone reading can get some perspective.

You need to understand that the overwhelming majority of people who are addicts, booze drugs or otherwise, are wired long before they ever encounter the substance or behaviour. Addiction has been directly linked to historical and childhood trauma - if you need you can look into Dr. Gabor Mate's work on this. He is regarded as the world's leading physician on addiction, and just happens to be Canadian as well. The pathology is linked far before someone encounters a substance and is strongly influenced by environmental factors, especially as impressionable ages. This is the case for most addicts, not all, but most. I have met hundreds and hundreds of people in recovery programs and this is uniformly across the board. And just to confuse you even more, the substance or behaviour (ie: gambling or other process addictions) has nothing to do with the addiction. Thats why the irony of programs like AA is that is has nothing to do with alcohol recovery. It is because the essence of addiction has nothing to do what you take or when you take it, it has to do with how it has manifested in ones life and why they take it.

So did he know the consequences? Probably so. Was he powerless against the addiction and doomed to repeat it again and again and again? 100% he was with out proper supports and a solid recovery program. Every single person I know in recovery came to a point where they did not want to use or drink, but they did anyway. I woke up some days dead set on not drinking that day but would wind up, every single time, drinking. It is powerful beyond measure and there are no sufficient mental faculties to take it on by yourself. It is irrelevant on your gender, creed, ethnicity, profession, religion, or income - if you have some serious underlying trauma(s) that predispose you to be a significant risk, the you might be in a heap of trouble.

This is one of the most misunderstood diseases out there and the stigma out there is really bad. Because to a person, every person I know in recovery would loved to have had the choice to say no. It is far more complex that people think and it is not as simple as not taking a drug or a drink. The roots are much, much deeper and the current research supports that.

So you may say f*** this guy and put me on ignore, and that is fine. But I am going to continue to do what I usual do and that is to challenge the mainstream narrative and address misconceptions. And provided someone isn't a total ignorant asshole, I will gladly partake in a discussion.
This is a great post and spoken by someone who has experienced the trenches. I’m retired now but I spent over 30 years working in the Addictions field and Still instruct in the area. I ended up in the senior management side of things but I spent most of my earlier career as a certified addictions counsellor. Please keep speaking out. The world needs these voices.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jarvis played 13:52 per game in his first full year. This is Perfetti's first real full year in the league and he played 13:35. Maybe we can wait a year before we decide if he's being ruined by not giving him more ice time.

He is far from ruined and will likely be pissed off this summer and come into camp ready to show the org he should have been used more.

Reactions: Buffdog

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He is far from ruined and will likely be pissed off this summer and come into camp ready to show the org he should have been used more.

Good. If he does then he has the right attitude. If he doesn't, well Scheifele has been called a sulk here for less.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad