Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stars got a beauty in Johnston

The power of putting faith in youth and giving young players the ice time they deserve. It's allowed the kids to build confidence and It's allowed them to ice cheap talent throughout the lineup. This has given then the depth they need to be a top end contender without really any superstar.

Our org used to understand this model but we've since shifted to trading for expensive/mediocre depth.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I think this is proof that if the NHL playoff series were best-of-21, we could have maybe had a chance against COL.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The power of putting faith in youth and giving young players the ice time they deserve. It's allowed the kids to build confidence and It's allowed them to ice cheap talent throughout the lineup. This has given then the depth they need to be a top end contender without really any superstar.

Our org used to understand this model but we've since shifted to trading for expensive/mediocre depth.
Let us all remember this great post when Lambert is inevitably given seven games on the fourth line as his "welcome and f*** off" -package from the Jets, before spending another year in the A.

Reactions: jungles

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Other than Perfetti and maybe Heinola what other young players should have been starting this past season? We definitely played like crap in the playoffs but i find it very hard to find fault with finishing 4th overall in the NHL. I think there is going to be more spots available next season for young players so i will wait to see what our roster looks like next season .

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Let us all remember this great post when Lambert is inevitably given seven games on the fourth line as his "welcome and f*** off" -package from the Jets, before spending another year in the A.
When do you get your 7 games?

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Remember when some of the hockey experts here said the Avs would win the Cup this year after handling the frauds and leakybuck so easily!?

Avs kinda look like the frauds against the mighty Stars!
There is obviously some off ice distraction going on there, along with losing a guy that was lighting it up

Taking nothing away from Dallas tho. They've played their system very well

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Other than Perfetti and maybe Heinola what other young players should have been starting this past season? We definitely played like crap in the playoffs but i find it very hard to find fault with finishing 4th overall in the NHL. I think there is going to be more spots available next season for young players so i will wait to see what our roster looks like next season .

Well Heinola should have gotten a look after his injury. But it is more so that Dallas rewards the kids in their roster whereas we tended marginalize our players accomplishments and then actively brought in mediocre vets to push them out of the lineup.

I know people harp on me about Cole but contrast our handling of him to how Dallas handled Johnson.

Through 31 games Cole was 4th in scoring among forwards but was 10th in ice time.

Johnston had less points then Cole at that point and was 8th in scoring on his team but was fourth in ice time among forwards.

One team put their faith in the kid and it paid off big time down the stretch whereas we marginalized our talented player and never actually rewarded his accomplishments. One player gained confidence with the full support of his coaching staff and caught fire whereas ours was quickly punished for mistakes, called out by the coach and then hit a slump, lost confidence, and found himself banished to the PB. Then when he regained said confidence and caught fire down the stretch was put right back into the PB for the playoffs. We can't even use the depth excuse as Dallas is a deeper team but still can recognize that age isn't important, performance is.

We can say the same thing about dmen. Thomas Harley started the year on the third pairing but their coaching quickly recognized his strong play and he was advanced up the lineup and found himself second in ice time by the end of the year.

Samberg started the year incredibly strong for us but never saw an increase in minutes and finished the year 6th in ice time on dmen. Included in that was being scratched for an inferior player because the coach wanted to rotate players in. This lead to him losing some confidence. He performed significantly better then many of the dmen who played ahead of him in the lineup.

There is a significant difference in how Dallas integrates and rewards performance then how our org has done it lately. Chevy should really be taking a hard look at it.

Sure there is nothing wrong with finishing fourth but the bulk of that record and strong play was built early in the year which the kids were a big part. We performed worse the back half when management went out and got the expensive vets that hurt our team speed and further marginalized our young talent.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
If it actually is an addiction with Nichushkin then there are some seriously archaic league policies in the NHL and some serious ignorant posters on HF. Look, I have been in recovery for a substance for 10+ years and it was an absolute beast to take on. It is something I will have to be in front of for the rest of my life because the addiction doesnt just go away. If you think someone actually has a choice in whether or not you want to have that substance then you are dead wrong. You literally have no choice and recovery is almost impossible to take on by oneself. The diagnosis itself is considered a disease, and this is this type of disease that tells you that you don't have a disease. If Nichushkin is into it, then he is in a heap of trouble.

I understand the suspension, the person needs a reprieve from their workplace. What is antiquated is the no pay for six months. It is irrelevant how much money that person makes, but it is relevant that the employer is penalizing the the employee for something that they don't have a choice in. There is a reason why the success rate in addictions is around 7%. Because it is seriously hard and very misunderstood, and it requires some some unique supports. The addiction does not have to manifest in a daily habit. I know people in recovery that may use a few times a year but when then do.....look the f*** out. It could be a weekend warrior thing, it really doesn't matter. What matters is that the person is wired differently psychologically and biologically before and after they consume a substance. And if Nichushkin is actually wired that way then he has no idea what he is doing.

So if this guy is facing this demon then what he does not need is ignorance. What he needs is support and compassion. And I could care a less if that sounds flaky, it is what he needs. End rant.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Well Heinola should have gotten a look after his injury. But it is more so that Dallas rewards the kids in their roster whereas we tended marginalize our players accomplishments and then actively brought in mediocre vets to push them out of the lineup.

I know people harp on me about Cole but contrast our handling of him to how Dallas handled Johnson.

Through 31 games Cole was 4th in scoring among forwards but was 10th in ice time.

Johnston had less points then Cole at that point and was 8th in scoring on his team but was fourth in ice time among forwards.

One team put their faith in the kid and it paid off big time down the stretch whereas we marginalized our talented player and never actually rewarded his accomplishments. One player gained confidence with the full support of his coaching staff and caught fire whereas ours was quickly punished for mistakes, called out by the coach and then hit a slump, lost confidence, and found himself banished to the PB. Then when he regained said confidence and caught fire down the stretch was put right back into the PB for the playoffs. We can't even use the depth excuse as Dallas is a deeper team but still can recognize that age isn't important, performance is.

We can say the same thing about dmen. Thomas Harley started the year on the third pairing but their coaching quickly recognized his strong play and he was advanced up the lineup and found himself second in ice time by the end of the year.

Samberg started the year incredibly strong for us but never saw an increase in minutes and finished the year 6th in ice time on dmen. Included in that was being scratched for an inferior player because the coach wanted to rotate players in. This lead to him losing some confidence. He performed significantly better then many of the dmen who played ahead of him in the lineup.

There is a significant difference in how Dallas integrates and rewards performance then how our org has done it lately. Chevy should really be taking a hard look at it.

Sure there is nothing wrong with finishing fourth but the bulk of that record and strong play was built early in the year which the kids were a big part. We performed worse the back half when management went out and got the expensive vets that hurt our team speed and further marginalized our young talent.
I agree with your point - but I think Harley got his shot due to injuries - he was still destined for the AHL this year I believe... same with Stankoven. Jets didn't have a lot of injuries but again, TNSE is terrible at integrating the next generation of draft picks.

Barron should have been moved up the lineup... Lambert has to be in the mix for 2C next year... Capo should be given a chance as well as Heinola

Reactions: Orrrules

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I hope we also remember it when the youth are struggling and the team is in a slump and we talk about how it should've been blown up years ago etc etc etc. Some teams have the depth and roster insulation to incorporate youth better than others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad