Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Somehow they got this one figured out when the kid was pretty idle in his show me season.

Draft -1 he had 30 points in 53 games.

Draft season the OHL was shut down. Now he okayed in the U18 worlds but had 4 points in 7 games?

Impressive pick that just adds to the body of work for an organization who has rebuilt their core on the fly with only one lottery pick. This isn’t even top 10 picks they have hot on late first rounders and multiple second rounders.
Dallas seems to have drafting figured out. They have found an extra variable (or two) to look for.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2 teams drafting since 2011

Dallas
90 Draft Picks
6730 NHL games played
2654 points

Winnipeg
83 Draft Picks
7584 NHL games played
3841 points

I know I know we suck they are godly fire Chevy hire some one

Yup, Dallas is on a good run atm but we had a good run ourselves 2011-2015.

Other then Cole and Snerg who are already on the team and contributing I expect to see us graduate some other difference makers over the next few years.

But I do think we can learn something from how they have integrated their youth with their older core. I think we could be more aggressive with deploying our kids.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Other then Cole and Snerg who are already on the team and contributing I expect to see us graduate some other difference makers over the next few years.

But I do think we can learn something from how they have integrated their youth with their older core. I think we could be more aggressive with deploying our kids.

I think they changed there approach for a couple of years and it cost them. Few of the things I know is they kind of went back to what was working as an approach to drafting

Reactions: surixon

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
2 teams drafting since 2011

Dallas
90 Draft Picks
6730 NHL games played
2654 points

Winnipeg
83 Draft Picks
7584 NHL games played
3841 points

I know I know we suck they are godly fire Chevy hire some one
Playoffs 2015-2024
Site : Champs or chumps
Dallas has made the playoffs 6x with 8 series wins
Winnipeg has made the playoffs 7x with 3 series wins

Hellebucyk is responsible for making those playoffs at least 5 of those seasons, Chevy needs to construct a roster that doesn't wholly depend on a perennial Vezina candidate.
We suck in the playoffs , other than one season

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Playoffs 2015-2024
Site : Champs or chumps
Dallas has made the playoffs 6x with 8 series wins
Winnipeg has made the playoffs 7x with 3 series wins

Hellebucyk is responsible for making those playoffs at least 5 of those seasons, Chevy needs to construct a roster that doesn't wholly depend on a perennial Vezina candidate.
We suck in the playoffs , other than one season

They also are able to effectively sign an entire 2nd line via free agency with Pavelski/Duchene/Marchment

That is something we can't and won't ever be able to do

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dallas seems to have drafting figured out. They have found an extra variable (or two) to look for.
yeah definitely. i was listening to some podcast this morning and they were talking about the Jets vs Stars drafting from 2015 onward and the difference has really been stark between the two. one of the 2 teams customarily gets the "draft-and-develop" & the other doesn't. The Jets were definitely good when they were a perennial bottom-10 team, but like you said it seems like Dallas has figured it out.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They also are able to effectively sign an entire 2nd line via free agency with Pavelski/Duchene/Marchment

That is something we can't and won't ever be able to do

This is an under discussed aspect of draft and develop. It's easier to develop guys along by insulating them in the lineup and giving them vets to learn from, than it is to just throw Perfetti or Heinola into mid tier minutes and hope they get it.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Hopefully we can also say the same about Jacob Julien who is trending nicely.

He's an interesting player, seems to have really caught fire once settled in. Hopefully we will see him build on this season surge.

JACOB JULIEN FETED

London Knights centre Jacob Julien was named OHL player of the week for his back-to-back hat trick performance in Kitchener to knock out the Rangers in a sweep.

The 19-year-old Londoner scored six of his seven goals in the second-round series at the Aud and added an assist in Game 3. The Winnipeg Jets prospect has 12 points in eight playoff games following a 29-goal, 78-point regular season.

He is the second straight Jr. Knights grad to be honoured by the OHL after Oshawa forward Dylan Roobroeck of Dorchester the week before.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Ignore the top half of the first round. Dallas has done well with second rounders and late firsts.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Matchup -> Broons vs Cats. My money (all 6 loonies of it) is on the Cats.

1715029342865.png

What do you young gentlefolk think?

Am I losing my cash? Will Mr. Sault St. Marie prevail?

200w.gif

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of misaligned bets,
Or to take arms against a sea of hunches
And by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That my wallet is heir to: 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wi$h'd.

200w.gif

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they changed there approach for a couple of years and it cost them. Few of the things I know is they kind of went back to what was working as an approach to drafting

You can definitely see that starting in 2019. They went back to drafting for IQ and skill. They were putting way too much emphasis on size and wanting power forwards or gritty players 2016-18.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Nothing against him personally, but Maurice failed here, so I sure as hell don’t want him reaching the pinnacle of hockey there.

Had he led the Jets to a Stanley Cup I’d petition to have a statue of him in Winnipeg. That goes for any coach that can get our core to achieve the unthinkable!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad