Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We already benched our 2020 1st for an AHL player, he'd have been in the AHL and who knows how his development would have gone.

Obviously Johnston is the big miss, but would he become that here?

The Jets have no balls. They play it safe. For better and for worse.
There were a lot of misses in that draft... its like this year where its hard to judge who's beyond the top ten

That being said, I hope Dallas giving young talent a shot wears off on the Jets

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I gonna watch the rest of the playoffs I always do but I'm not cheering for anyone one team let alone a Canadian team. The only Canadian team I want to win the SC are the Jets the rest can pound sand, and yes I know I might be waiting a long long time for that to happen.
I’m hoping the Avalanche win it all. They were my 2nd team when they were the Nordiques and became my #1 team after the Jets relocated to the Death Valley.

Also cheered for Tampa when Khabibulin was traded there. Loved Khabby!!!!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There were a lot of misses in that draft... its like this year where its hard to judge who's beyond the top ten

I'm curious how Dallas would have handled their younger guys had they gone ice cold like Cole did

The closest Johnston got to cole's 3 points in 23 games was a 27 games where he put up 11 points

Stankoven had a stretch of 6 points in 25 games, which is comparable

Reactions: hockeyarena

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I'd really like to see Dallas make a strong run here. Beat Colorado, beat Edmonton and beat Florida in the finals. Might make some teams look into youth to step up. Not only that it shows that you can be the oldest team in the league, surround older vets with young talent and go deep.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We already benched our 2020 1st for an AHL player, he'd have been in the AHL and who knows how his development would have gone.

Obviously Johnston is the big miss, but would he become that here?

The Jets have no balls. They play it safe. For better and for worse.

With his size and experience level there is no chance Wyatt Johnston would have played in the playoffs for a Boness coached Jets team this season. He doesn’t have the size or vettiness and we were going for it.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Can't win them all on draft day, and there are bigger whiffs than that. Canucks fans had to live with taking Virtanan and leaving both Ehlers and Nylander on the board.

Same draft, Colorado took Connor Bleakly (zero NHL games played) two spots ahead of Pastrnak

Yeah you can't beat yourself up over picks like that. It's those top of the draft picks that really sting. Vancouver also taking Juolevi over Tkachuk has to sting.

What I have always wondered is how did Dallas identify Johnston to draft in the 1st round?

He makes Perfetti look big, he didn’t play in his draft year (Covid) and his draft -1 season was not special?

Reactions: Buffdog

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What I have always wondered is how did Dallas identify Johnston to draft in the 1st round?

He makes Perfetti look big, he didn’t play in his draft year (Covid) and his draft -1 season was not special?
Jesus ......these were the covid drafts. It was a crapshoot.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I haven't paid too much attention, but finding out that F*** Vegas lost was music to my ears. Really made my morning.

6720698-Greg-Behrendt-Quote-Cheaters-never-prosper.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I hope this was a lesson that even a experience laden roster can shit the bed, not play the system, get in their heads.

Give your young players a chance, let them play through it.

I was cool with scratching Perfetti for a couple of games but I think bones went too far. There were also a bunch of other players who were scratch proof who shouldn't have been.

If I was the coach the first thing I'd say is that ice time and a roster spot need to be earned and kept. Then I'd back it up from top to bottom.

You want to see some motivation?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jesus ......these were the covid drafts. It was a crapshoot.

Somehow they got this one figured out when the kid was pretty idle in his show me season.

Draft -1 he had 30 points in 53 games.

Draft season the OHL was shut down. Now he okayed in the U18 worlds but had 4 points in 7 games?

Impressive pick that just adds to the body of work for an organization who has rebuilt their core on the fly with only one lottery pick. This isn’t even top 10 picks they have hot on late first rounders and multiple second rounders.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Somehow they got this one figured out when the kid was pretty idle in his show me season.

Draft season the OHL was shut down. Now he okayed in the U18 worlds but had 4 points in 7 games?

Impressive pick that just adds to the body of work for an organization who has rebuilt their core on the fly with only one lottery pick. This isn’t even top 10 picks they have hot on late first rounders and multiple second rounders.
It was an excellent pick, but he didn't even play a game that year. 22 teams passed on him. Maybe next year we'll be talking about how everyone missed on Chibrikov at 50th.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
There was also a Dangerfield line about how I was so ugly, when I was born of course the doctor slapped me; I found out later the nurse got a few shots in too.

I was so ugly, we could never get the cat to play with me. Until one day we went out to the sandbox in the back. He tried to bury me.

Better than my dog. Oh, my poor dog. He heard someone say that after a while, pets and their owners start to look alike. Half an hour later, he killed himself.

And your dog?

1715005525860.gif

Reactions: AlphaLackey

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

Impressive pick that just adds to the body of work for an organization who has rebuilt their core on the fly with only one lottery pick. This isn’t even top 10 picks they have hot on late first rounders and multiple second rounders
He stepped in at a young age and was given an opportunity to play with top players and wasn't yelled at, benched or scratched for every mistake. Ice time is based on play and not seniority on the Stars. Pete Deboer has benched Seguin, Roberston, Faksa, Pavelski, Duchesne etc at different times, holding veterans accountable and to the same standard. He plays the best players based on performance and not age. Look at Stankoven, he has walked in late in the season and now plays a regular shift and on the PP ahead of some veteran players.

In Winnipeg no matter what 55 and 81 do they will always be first line and first pp even if they play like dog s%%t. Selective accountability is the thing holding this team back more than any other.

Play players based only on performance and not on their birth certificate and you too can be like the Stars and develop and integrate young players into your veteran lineup.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I hope this was a lesson that even a experience laden roster can shit the bed, not play the system, get in their heads.

Give your young players a chance, let them play through it.

I was cool with scratching Perfetti for a couple of games but I think bones went too far. There were also a bunch of other players who were scratch proof who shouldn't have been.

If I was the coach the first thing I'd say is that ice time and a roster spot need to be earned and kept. Then I'd back it up from top to bottom.

You want to see some motivation?
Makes total sense but never gonna happen when players contracts dictate who plays, sad but true!

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I love Rodney. I heard a comedian talking about Rodney before he got on his self deprecating style and said he had one joke he thought was brilliant.

A pilot gets on the intercom and says hello folks if look out the right side of the aircraft you see the remnants of the crash of flight 432. We were the pilots on that one weren't we Bob !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad