Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Nice read fwiw

Yeah, it's the analytics

Nothing to do with a generational talent, Norris winning Dman or goalie who posted a .920+ after game 1

To be clear, analytics maybe played a role but it's impossible to say for sure with that kind of line up. That's a classic example of correlation =/= causation

I'm sure there's a bottom feeder out there somewhere that is heavy on the analytics too

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Lets assume its a set play then, I'll give you that. But really, Pastrnak was by himself, with lots of time to deke.. seems odd - and if I was a Leafs fan I'd be angry that he was let go.

Some are calling that a cheat with improperly built stanchions along the boards. If it is a cheat, then its an all world execution.

Rielly was too slow to react, he's made the mistake but I'd give him a bit of the benefit of the doubt as it took a fortunate Bruins bounce.

Its not a cheat. One of the benefits of home ice

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
The Leafs loss rings hollow. At least they fought it back to game 7, which is a lot more than we can say.

I'll be watching game 7 Dallas Vegas to hopefully see those cheating f***ers knocked out.

After that, the seasons over for me, I won't watch another second.
Bruins were merely toying with the leaf fans.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Yeah, it's the analytics

Nothing to do with a generational talent, Norris winning Dman or goalie who posted a .920+ after game 1

To be clear, analytics maybe played a role but it's impossible to say for sure with that kind of line up. That's a classic example of correlation =/= causation

I'm sure there's a bottom feeder out there somewhere that is heavy on the analytics too
Before computers analytics used to be called scouting reports every team uses them not just the Avs lol.
Its sad that the Jets did not have the answer to the Avs 2 forecheckers pressuring the defensemen and exposing them ... I'm pretty sure Vegas or Dallas will show the Jets how you handle that when you have a top 4 defense.
Weird watching these last few playoff games on how all the teams are playing team defense first ... maybe they learned it from the Jets regular season.:D
Its too bad the Jets did not continue it for the playoffs. The Jets scoring 7 goals in 2 straight games against the Avs backfired on them because they probably thought they could outscore the Avs no problem and they got away from their defensive game.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, it's the analytics

Jets Team Analytics Raw Data Conclusion Game 5: "If the new lines and additions are staying right with the play and keeping it close through 2 periods -- leave it. Don't use your gut. Don't lose happy. Just leave it, and try to win."

Reactions: Luc Labelle

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So who we got today Dallas or Vegas? I have a feeling Vegas will win in dominant fashion.

I usually default to the away team winning a Game 7 these days, less pressure away from home. Dallas is pretty good though I'd give them the edge.

NYR/CAR should be a good series too.

Reactions: kanadalainen

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don't know how anyone can look at that and think it wasn't. Pasta knew exactly where to go. Marner is not supposed to be covering the guy who is supposedly going to forecheck a dump in play.

Yeah the Jets were definitely playing like a team who'd win that series in 5 except for some shaky goaltending.
It's a team sport, you don't need you're prima donna golatender beaking about playing his best hockey with a shitty .870 sv. % and giving up 5 goals per game! No?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's a team sport, you don't need you're prima donna golatender beaking about playing his best hockey with a shitty .870 sv. % and giving up 5 goals per game! No?

I'd rather see that than people beaking about the goaltending constantly as though that was the reason the Jets are at the golf course right now.

He's correct that the team in front of him was abysmal. It doesn't absolve his stinkers but those fans complaining about his goaltending are essentially saying the team in front of him isn't good enough and he needs to god mode the team to the Cup. So you're disappointed that Hellebuyck didn't drag 19 other professionals into the second round? I'd maybe look at why those other 19 players needed to be dragged through instead of asking why the goalie didn't drag them.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'd rather see that then people beaking about the goaltending constantly as though that was the reason the Jets are at the golf course right now.

He's correct that the team in front of him was abysmal. It doesn't absolve his stinkers but those fans complaining about his goaltending are essentially saying the team in front of him isn't good enough and he needs to god mode the team to the Cup. So you're disappointed that Hellebuyck didn't drag 19 other professionals into the second round? I'd maybe look at why those other 19 players needed to be dragged through instead of asking why the goalie didn't drag them.
I'm on both sides of this

First off, the goalie is a part of the team. I always hate it when other teams fans complain when we win a game that we probably shouldn't have because of helle. My take is rhat the goalie is a huge part of the team, and building around a great one is a way of building a roster that can win. Nobody ever says "well, Edmonton wouldn't have beaten us if it weren't for their centres".

We couldn't match up with Colorado's great forwards or their D. Our depth and pur goaltending needed to come through for our roster, as it's constructed, to beat the Avs.

The difference between helle's .870 in that series and his .920 over the regular season is 10 goals over those 5 games. It would have been enough to win us a couple of games

So TL/DR version... if we're gonna credit Helle for stealing us games when his performance warrants it, we can't let him off the hook when his performance costs us games as well

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm on both sides of this

First off, the goalie is a part of the team. I always hate it when other teams fans complain when we win a game that we probably shouldn't have because of helle. My take is rhat the goalie is a huge part of the team, and building around a great one is a way of building a roster that can win. Nobody ever says "well, Edmonton wouldn't have beaten us if it weren't for their centres".

We couldn't match up with Colorado's great forwards or their D. Our depth and pur goaltending needed to come through for our roster, as it's constructed, to beat the Avs.

The difference between helle's .870 in that series and his .920 over the regular season is 10 goals over those 5 games. It would have been enough to win us a couple of games

So TL/DR version... if we're gonna credit Helle for stealing us games when his performance warrants it, we can't let him off the hook when his performance costs us games as well

That's where we'll differ because there's too much variance in an 82 game season to boil it down to that.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'd rather see that then people beaking about the goaltending constantly as though that was the reason the Jets are at the golf course right now.

This team has been carried by Helle for 5 years essentially
Wake up Cheveldayoff

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Every time I watch Wyatt Johnston I think about us taking Chaz Lucius over him

We already benched our 2020 1st for an AHL player, he'd have been in the AHL and who knows how his development would have gone.

Obviously Johnston is the big miss, but would he become that here?

The Jets have no balls. They play it safe. For better and for worse.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Every time I watch Wyatt Johnston I think about us taking Chaz Lucius over him
Can't win them all on draft day, and there are bigger whiffs than that. Canucks fans had to live with taking Virtanan and leaving both Ehlers and Nylander on the board.

Same draft, Colorado took Connor Bleakly (zero NHL games played) two spots ahead of Pastrnak

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can't win them all on draft day, and there are bigger whiffs than that. Canucks fans had to live with taking Virtanan and leaving both Ehlers and Nylander on the board.

Same draft, Colorado took Connor Bleakly (zero NHL games played) two spots ahead of Pastrnak

Yeah you can't beat yourself up over picks like that. It's those top of the draft picks that really sting. Vancouver also taking Juolevi over Tkachuk has to sting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad