Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Watching the Oilers this AM and they just said Connor Brown still doesn't have a goal. 56 games and counting since he left Ottawa.

This is like Bill Muckalt throwback.
Worst contract in the NHL. They’ll have a 3.5M overage applied against next year’s cap. Brutal.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
They started the season hot, going 18-10-3, had the 11th best goaltending in that period. Since then, they are 15-14-5 and 31st in sv% (guess who is 32nd, and by a surprisingly large amount),

All the intensity you claim they have isn't worth squat when their goaltending isn't holding up.

So playing with intensity to get your team into a playoff spot and control your own destiny doesn’t mean anything because your team unfortunately had your starting goaltender involved in a WJC scandal?

So Philly has had a good season until now and have a coach who’s shown he gets the most out of his team and his team plays super hard and you’re saying it doesn’t anything if they miss the playoffs?.

If Ottawa missed the playoffs by 3 points this season and had been 3rd in their division and in the playoff hunt all year they would be in the exact same spot with the rebuild as they are now?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So playing with intensity to get your team into a playoff spot and control your own destiny doesn’t mean anything because your team unfortunately had your starting goaltender involved in a WJC scandal?

So Philly has had a good season until now and have a coach who’s shown he gets the most out of his team and his team plays super hard and you’re saying it doesn’t anything if they miss the playoffs?.

If Ottawa missed the playoffs by 3 points this season and had been 3rd in their division and in the playoff hunt all year they would be in the exact same spot with the rebuild as they are now?
What I'm saying is their place in the standings are highly correlated to getting goaltending, not playing with intensity or Tortorella getting the most out of his team. What I'm saying is goaltending is currently robbing the flyers of controlling their own destiny, and they'd have been robbed of that a long time ago had they received the kind of goaltending we did all year.

Since you suddenly seem fond of hypotheticals, how do you think Ottawa's work ethic would be characterized if they got the goaltending Philly got the first 31 games, and the ~23 fewer goals against it would have come with? Do you think their confidence would have improved, and they might have stuck to the plan more consistently if they weren't pulling pucks out of their net on weak chances? Do you think it might be easier to play with intensity knowing your goalie will and is doing doing his part, or that deflating goals game after game gave no impact?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What I'm saying is their place in the standings are highly correlated to getting goaltending, not playing with intensity or Tortorella getting the most out of his team. What I'm saying is goaltending is currently robbing the flyers of controlling their own destiny, and they'd have been robbed of that a long time ago had they received the kind of goaltending we did all year.

Since you suddenly seem fond of hypotheticals, how do you think Ottawa's work ethic would be characterized if they got the goaltending Philly got the first 31 games, and the ~23 fewer goals against it would have come with? Do you think their confidence would have improved, and they might have stuck to the plan more consistently if they weren't pulling pucks out of their net on weak chances? Do you think it might be easier to play with intensity knowing your goalie will and is doing doing his part, or that deflating goals game after game gave no impact?

I think the Sens can learn a lot from the Flyers who have given it desperate efforts every night from game 1 and are in control of their destiny

I think you saying the Flyers are 31st in save percentage but 7th in the conference confirms that playing desperate hockey from game 1 is the way to overcome the worts on your team and the shortcomings they have

When your desperate you dont feel sorry for yourself because you’re focused about winning and not losing

To me what Philly and Ottawa have down this season aren’t even conparble

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the Sens can learn a lot from the Flyers who have given it desperate efforts every night from game 1 and are in control of their destiny

I think you saying the Flyers are 31st in save percentage but 7th in the conference confirms that playing desperate hockey from game 1 is the way to overcome the worts on your team and the shortcomings they have

When your desperate you dont feel sorry for yourself because you’re focused about winning and not losing

Except they aren't 7th in the conference with 31st in sv %, they are 7th over the season to date, they are 10th in the conference during the stretch they got 31st in the league sv%,

They've been plummetting down the standings, because for all hard work they put in, goaltending still undermines it all.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If they keep playing they way the have over the last twenty, they won't be making the playoffs at all, they are 8-10-2 while the NYI have 3 games in hand and are playing great to take over the div spot, while Det, Tbay and Was are all right there to take those wildcard spots.

Guarantee you they don't make it, but to be honest it's hard to deny the boost they've gotten from Torts. Unfortunately it's not the kind of boost you can sustain for 82 games, as we are starting to see now.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Except they aren't 7th in the conference with 31st in sv %, they are 7th over the season to date, they are 10th in the conference during the stretch they got 31st in the league sv%,

They've been plummetting down the standings, because for all hard work they put in, goaltending still undermines it all.

Philly has given their fans something to cheer for this year. The Senators have not given their fans anything to cheer for this year

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Philly has given their fans something to cheer for this year. The Senators have not given their fans anything to cheer for this year
Sure, but they didn't do that by playing with more intensity than us, that's the point. They did it by having NHL caliber goaltending. When that went away, so does their hope at playoffs.

The funny part is we have a better record than they do since Carter Hart's last game.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sure, but they didn't do that by playing with more intensity than us, that's the point. They did it by having NHL caliber goaltending. When that went away, so does their hope at playoffs.

The funny part is we have a better record than they do since Carter Hart's last game.

I don’t follow, they are in a playoff spot, 3rd in their division and 7th in the conference and are 80.3% predicted to make the playoffs and your talking like they are part of a lost season.

If Ottawa had Phillys season you’d be dancing on your roof right now

Philly is better than Ottawa because they play harder it’s simple as that. They will beat SJ on Tuesday because they will play with more intensity - it’s really that simple

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t follow, they are in a playoff spot, 3rd in their division and 7th in the conference and are 80.3% predicted to make the playoffs and your talking like they are part of a lost season.

If Ottawa had Phillys season you’d be dancing on your roof right now

Philly is better than Ottawa because they play harder it’s simple as that. They will beat SJ on Tuesday because they will play with more intensity - it’s really that simple

What's so hard to understand? They are higher in the standings because for their first 45 games they got goaltending. Since Carter hart has stepped away 20 games ago, they have a .450 pts% while we have a .500 pts %.

Unless they get goaltending in the final 17, they are likely to get passed and miss the playoffs, and if they do manage to make it, they likely go out quick. You don't win with bottom of the league goaltending.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Philly has a very good coach. We don't.

Game 7 Meltdown

Sep 24, 2019
If you could bottle up 1% of the passion John Torterella had on the bench last night refusing to leave the bench and combine it with the talent of the 20 players of the Ottawa Senators we’d have a Cup Parade in this city
The Breakers Cup, surely.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

If we had even league-average goaltending, we'd theoretically be better in the standings, but then we probably keep DJ. Constantly blowing coverage, allowing high danger chances, not scoring consistently, etc., that isn't something we're keeping with DJ around.

Goaltending has definitely helped Philly, but they're worse than us on the PP. They win their games because of their efforts 5v5. Their PK is 2nd in the league

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we had even league-average goaltending, we'd theoretically be better in the standings, but then we probably keep DJ. Constantly blowing coverage, allowing high danger chances, not scoring consistently, etc., that isn't something we're keeping with DJ around.

Goaltending has definitely helped Philly, but they're worse than us on the PP. They win their games because of their efforts 5v5. Their PK is 2nd in the league
Philly is 23 in the league in GF% 5v5 and we are 25th, and that's despite the disparity in sv%, under DJ, our 5v5 GF% was 50.85%, which would have ranked 16th.

You're right, if we had league average goaltending, DJ is likely still here, and maybe that's not what's best long term, but the reason he'd still be here is because we'd be winning games,

The two teams are both bad on the PP, not really a significant advantage for Ottawa there. PK has been a big part of the flyers success though, and credit to them, it's the one part of their game that hasn't tanked since Hart departed, which tbh is surprising since typically your goalie is your best penalty killer.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We scored just one goal yet again and lost, and that was to another weak opponent. It seems to happen with some frequency. I blame Korpisalo (customary) and hope he starts scoring more.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
From 32 thoughts.

Sens might be looking at Karlsson, they're looking at players that make them better now. They've had a lot of discussions that have been pushed to the summer. They're expecting to be busy.

Not the exact words, but pretty much

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
From 32 thoughts.

Sens might be looking at Karlsson, they're looking at players that make them better now. They've had a lot of discussions that have been pushed to the summer. They're expecting to be busy.

Karlsson for chychrun..ok just do it. With alfie over his shoulder on the bench. I want to see it.
Not sure who he’d play with though. Wouldn’t be chabot or Sanderson and can’t have him on the third pairing. ???

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
What a season Noah Dobson is having.
If Lou is good to move Pulock, he could use a change in scenery and might be a good fit here, especially with Dobson's emergence.

Maybe send em Chychrun and Norris (who they'd LTIR loophole), for Pulock and a vet winger like Palmieri.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
From 32 thoughts.

Top 4 RHD, #1 goalie, and a top 9 forward(maybe 2 if Norris is out long-term).

No pressure, Steve.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Oct 30, 2023...March 8, 2024

Of the 16 teams out of the playoffs, 12 remain out.

Of the bottom 10 teams, 6 remain in the bottom 10

An NHL team's season effectively ends by game 9 or 10.
And if you look at bottom-16 from last year, 10-12 of them will be the same as today. I guess it means the season ends before it even starts.

Attachments

• 1710249866261.png
    1710249866261.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: JD1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad