Around the League

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Man, the amount of I Think You Should Leave memes on my phone that Mike Babcock would have to scroll through if I played for the Blue Jackets…
Babcock is a psycho. Why the f*** he got another chance in this league is beyond me...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Based on the first four posts, I'm setting the over/under for this thread getting locked at two pages. :neener:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Man, the amount of I Think You Should Leave memes on my phone that Mike Babcock would have to scroll through if I played for the Blue Jackets…
giphy.gif

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I could see either angle being true, but since they completely contradict one another for how this went down, it'll be interesting to see what other details emerge.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
  • Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Ha, I was not aware of the news until your post, thanks.

DAMAGE CONTROL! Seal decks 5-15!

Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!
Mike Babcock taking the Mel Tucker speedrun challenge.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I do love me some Commodore hate lol. Babcock deserves every ounce of it, and it's often pretty funny. Have at it, Commy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
At this point I think it says more about Commie than Babcock.

Sure thing Mike, Babcock ruined your career. Or maybe you weren’t as good of a player as you think and your career ran its course?
It's easier to hate Babcock than to hate yourself.

But yeah, his career trajectory took a crap the season before when he cleared waivers. The hate is kinda funny considering he was traded to TBL, and Babcock isn't the reason why his career ended. Babs must've really tried to mess with his head.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

But yeah, his career trajectory took a crap the season before when he cleared waivers. The hate is kinda funny considering he was traded to TBL, and Babcock isn't the reason why his career ended. Babs must've really tried to mess with his head.
It’s like how Cheli says how in the end he couldn’t “win Babcocks heart.”

Or maybe it’s that you were 47 years old and slow as molasses?

Babcock is no angel but it’s been funny to see how his reputation changed when he went to Toronto and then got fired.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It’s like how Cheli says how in the end he couldn’t “win Babcocks heart.”

Or maybe it’s that you were 47 years old and slow as molasses?

Babcock is no angel but it’s been funny to see how his reputation changed when he went to Toronto and then got fired.
Of all players, he ought to be grateful. Babs and Holland picked him and Meech over Quincey. The only reason why he even got a roster spot was because of Babs' preference for veterans.

If anyone has a reason to hate Babs, it's Quincey, not Cheli. Quincey herniated a disc with LA, then had to come back and deal with 'cock.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Here goes Lazlo again, passively defending Babcock! :laugh:

I feel like we're in that scene in Step Brothers, Lazlo. I'm Robert Doback, you're Nancy Huff (played by the gorgeous Mary Steenburgen, so now I imagine you as a hot lady) and Dale and Brennan are Mike Babcock. We agree on most things, but Babcock always manages to wreck our boat, it's all his fault, and now I'm all like, damn it Babs, 'you destroyed our boat. You beat up our relationship on a message board, and... worst of all, you made Lazlo and I resent each other! IT IS ABSOLUTELY ONE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT YOUR FAULT!'

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

That is cap. It's way easier to hate myself than it is to hate Mike Babcock.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Here goes Lazlo again, passively defending Babcock! :laugh:

I feel like we're in that scene in Step Brothers, Lazlo. I'm Robert Doback, you're Nancy Huff (played by the gorgeous Mary Steenburgen, so now I imagine you as a hot lady) and Dale and Brennan are Mike Babcock. We agree on most things, but Babcock always manages to wreck our boat, it's all his fault, and now I'm all like, damn it Babs, 'you destroyed our boat. You beat up our relationship on a message board, and... worst of all, you made Lazlo and I resent each other! IT IS ABSOLUTELY ONE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT YOUR FAULT!'
I’m not defending him. I’m just not giving into the revisionist history and hyperbole.

As I’ve stated countless times before, He seemed like an asshole coach and not that great of a person. It sounds like he was especially mean to Franzen but Mules mental health issues weren’t really known at the time. Yet people act as if Babcock did this knowing Mules issues. Sorry if I don’t give into crying by guys like Cheli and Commie who have an axe to grind.

Maybe it’s growing up with coaches like Keenan and Bowman around I’m not particularly surprised by his antics. Yes I know Babcock never achieved Bowman’s success but he also never reached Bowmans level of cruelty to players and civilians alike.

Babcock seems like an egomaniac even among coaches, and also seems to lack self awareness. While the things he’s accused of are dickish, it’s still not proportional to the vitriol.

He was considered one of the best coaches in the league prior to going to the Leafs. And even those Wings fans who thought it was time for him to move on (myself included) generally felt he was a very good coach. Now he’s a monster and overrated and even underachieved with the Wings, which is particularly hilarious. But that’s what happens when you fly too close to the sun and touch that shitshow that is the Maple Leafs.

In the thread about Babcock on the main page people believed a podcaster to condemn Babcock. There were many more “deserves a second chance” posts In the thread about Bill Peters. That’s messed up.

(Edit: to be clear that’s not me saying I think Babcock deserves more support. Just that Peters deserves much less. )

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I’m not defending him. I’m just not giving into the revisionist history and hyperbole.

As I’ve stated countless times before, He seemed like an asshole coach and not that great of a person. It sounds like he was especially mean to Franzen but Mules mental health issues weren’t really known at the time. Yet people act as if Babcock did this knowing Mules issues. Sorry if I don’t give into crying by guys like Cheli and Commie who have an axe to grind.

Maybe it’s growing up with coaches like Keenan and Bowman around I’m not particularly surprised by his antics. Yes I know Babcock never achieved Bowman’s success but he also never reached Bowmans level of cruelty to players and civilians alike.

Babcock seems like an egomaniac even among coaches, and also seems to lack self awareness. While the things he’s accused of are dickish, it’s still not proportional to the vitriol.

He was considered one of the best coaches in the league prior to going to the Leafs. And even those Wings fans who thought it was time for him to move on (myself included) generally felt he was a very good coach. Now he’s a monster and overrated and even underachieved with the Wings, which is particularly hilarious. But that’s what happens when you fly too close to the sun and touch that shitshow that is the Maple Leafs.

In the thread about Babcock on the main page people believed a podcaster to condemn Babcock. There were many more “deserves a second chance” posts In the thread about Bill Peters. That’s messed up.

(Edit: to be clear that’s not me saying I think Babcock deserves more supports. Just that Peters deserves much less. )
I'm not sure that the nature of the target of a bully really makes any difference regarding deserving redemption efforts. Bullies are adapt at picking out those that are vulnerable. Peters went ez-mode by picking race, but identifying those with confidence and esteem issues is no less insidious.

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad