Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Aho just got smoked by Giordano ... caught with his head down. Game misconduct.

NHL doesn't want hitting in the game. Players can just skate in the middle with head down. Ridiculous.

:huh:

Watching the replays it looks like his shoulder caught him right in the chin. It wasn't exactly dirty and malicious, and the head wasn't the principal point of contact, but there was definite face/head contact. Which is what they're trying to eliminate. Not hitting in general. Gio won't get suspended, game misconduct was plenty. That'll be the end of it. Moving on.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ So you can't hip check anymore without getting a penalty and the ire of everyone - what can a defender do when he has a player lined up to the chest and the player bends over looking for the puck? That was a clean hit. There comes a point where players need to defend themselves and this was a prime example.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
/\ So you can't hip check anymore without getting a penalty and the ire of everyone - what can a defender do when he has a player lined up to the chest and the player bends over looking for the puck? That was a clean hit. There comes a point where players need to defend themselves and this was a prime example.

I loved the hip checks. Used them a lot when I played. It can still be a dangerous play with the current speed of the game. But I don't think I've seen them called a penalty... Not unless a leg is stuck out too. A clean hip check still goes uncalled.

I didn't say it was dirty. I even went so far as to say it wasn't dirty. But there was contact to the face/head, and refs will call that every time these days. I don't think he should have gotten the game misconduct, either. A minor for roughing would have sufficed. As soon as the refs see the head whip, and the helmet move, they instantly look at it as contact to the head, which the NHL is trying to do away with.

Again, you can't deny that his shoulder hits Aho in the chin. It's obvious if you're not blind. Head down or not, you have to avoid the head/face. If Gio gets a little lower, he lights him up with a hit directly to the chest, and it's not even a talking point/issue. The minute Gio's shoulder contacts the chin of Aho, it's a penalty every time. And for good reason.

As far as a player bending over to look for the puck, they typically don't call it when a guy puts himself in that position. Or if they do, there's never any supplemental discipline. That's a huge factor when it comes to the NHL's policy on hitting. If the player puts himself in a vulnerable position, it is always taken into account.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I loved the hip checks. Used them a lot when I played. It can still be a dangerous play with the current speed of the game. But I don't think I've seen them called a penalty... Not unless a leg is stuck out too. A clean hip check still goes uncalled.

I didn't say it was dirty. I even went so far as to say it wasn't dirty. But there was contact to the face/head, and refs will call that every time these days. I don't think he should have gotten the game misconduct, either. A minor for roughing would have sufficed. As soon as the refs see the head whip, and the helmet move, they instantly look at it as contact to the head, which the NHL is trying to do away with.

Again, you can't deny that his shoulder hits Aho in the chin. It's obvious if you're not blind. Head down or not, you have to avoid the head/face. If Gio gets a little lower, he lights him up with a hit directly to the chest, and it's not even a talking point/issue. The minute Gio's shoulder contacts the chin of Aho, it's a penalty every time. And for good reason.

As far as a player bending over to look for the puck, they typically don't call it when a guy puts himself in that position. Or if they do, there's never any supplemental discipline. That's a huge factor when it comes to the NHL's policy on hitting. If the player puts himself in a vulnerable position, it is always taken into account.

Well it wasn't taken into account when it came to the major penalty call on the ice, and that's my point. A call like that can easily cost the team a win. Skating with head down should in no way be encouraged in any league, never mind the NHL. Giordano and his team were innocent victims of a careless play by Aho.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Well it wasn't taken into account when it came to the major penalty call on the ice, and that's my point. A call like that can easily cost the team a win. Skating with head down should in no way be encouraged in any league, never mind the NHL. Giordano and his team were innocent victims of a careless play by Aho.

Refs have a much harder time taking it into account at real game speed, without the benefit of replay. I was speaking more towards the supplemental discipline side of things.

They weren't innocent victims. Gio's shoulder contacted the chin of Aho. Penalty every time. Again, it shouldn't have been a major and game misconduct. Two minutes for roughing was my take. But again, the ref only sees it in real time at game speed. He doesn't have the benefit of replays and slow motion to show him that. He sees a shoulder contact the face of a player. He puts his arm up, calls a penalty, and the extent of what is called is at his discretion based upon his view of the hit.
You can't hit someone in the head/face with a bodycheck anymore. Period. You contact someone's head/face with your shoulder, and the ref sees it, you're going to the box every single time.

Gio and his team were victims only in a sense that he shouldn't have received a 5 and game. It should have been a 2 minute roughing penalty and that's it.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We're seeing similar crap like this when players do not protect themselves along the boards. In fact sometimes it looks like players purposely turn and show the numbers. Again, players need to be accountable for not protecting themselves. These are things we learn in peewee hockey.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Funny seeing #fireBabcock on twitter so much today. He's playing Leo Komarov more than Auston Matthews, played Connor Brown 9mins last night, and continues to trot out Roman Polak over Dermott who is back in the AHL even though he was one of their best Dmen a few games ago.

Leafs have 4 more points than a Hawks team who has missed their starting goalie for 1/4 of the season. I would argue they have more talent throughout their lineup than the Hawks do as well.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Funny seeing #fireBabcock on twitter so much today. He's playing Leo Komarov more than Auston Matthews, played Connor Brown 9mins last night, and continues to trot out Roman Polak over Dermott who is back in the AHL even though he was one of their best Dmen a few games ago.

Leafs have 4 more points than a Hawks team who has missed their starting goalie for 1/4 of the season. I would argue they have more talent throughout their lineup than the Hawks do as well.

Babcock and Q are close to the same coach as you can get except Babcock hates the media more.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's refreshing to see the Toronto media actually call Babcock out on his bad decisions, as compared to the Chicago media which treats every Q decision, no matter how stupid and illogical (or, even better, the decisions that are totally logical, that the fanbase is screaming for, that he takes FOREVER to make), as a stroke of genius.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's refreshing to see the Toronto media actually call Babcock out on his bad decisions, as compared to the Chicago media which treats every Q decision, no matter how stupid and illogical (or, even better, the decisions that are totally logical, that the fanbase is screaming for, that he takes FOREVER to make), as a stroke of genius.

Nice edit.

Reactions: Ted Lasso

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Probably not the best place to post this but I couldn't find a ticket thread: does anyone have tickets they're not using for the game against the Islanders on Saturday? Just a poor uchicago student trying to see my hometown team. Thanks!

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Probably not the best place to post this but I couldn't find a ticket thread: does anyone have tickets they're not using for the game against the Islanders on Saturday? Just a poor uchicago student trying to see my hometown team. Thanks!

Sorry I can't help, but I'd be shocked if that NYI game ended up a legit sell-out. You can probably find something affordable on the secondary market for 300 seats, especially closer to the date.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
LAK falling back to Earth as Kopitar and Brown's sh% regresses.

The Carter injury is starting to hurt now that that one line can't carry the team with unsustainable shooting. Quick is still playing really well though (Doughty too), so I'd be shocked if they fell much farther.

Just another team the Blackhawks might have to battle for a wild-card spot (assuming we ever get Crow back).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Panik getting it done.

737753E8-EB0B-4141-BF7C-321EB4308F48.jpeg

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Roman Polak just played 20mins
Komarov is playing more than Matthews
Hyman is playing on the 1st line
Marner was playing with Martin and some other bum on the 4th line

Babcock is amazing