Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Removing hitting completely is asinine, and I'm hardly a meathead about these things. With the speed and nature of the game, especially at the highest level, contact is literally almost unavoidable. The game is hard enough to call well with hitting allowed, removing it would be damn near impossible to call. Ask an official who works Olympic level or even pro women's hockey where checking isn't allowed what it's like to call those games. It's damn hard, because these are competitive, strong, intense, high level hockey players and you're trying to decipher at game speed what is "acceptable" contact that you don't call and what's a flat out body check that must be called. It's a really tough line to walk, and doing so at high men's levels would be even harder given the additional size and speed on the whole.

Playing strictly the puck with players at that level is also impossible. You get walked playing the puck at the Midget level, let alone the NHL. It just completely changes the game and for the much worse, in my opinion.

If the NHL actually had a discipline department worth a **** and had consistency with its penalties, punishments, suspensions, etc., you rectify a lot of this. Targeting head shots is a must and should happen, and head shots ARE avoidable a high percentage of the time, contrary to popular belief. Eliminating hitting altogether is a terrible idea on numerous levels.

while i didn't totally express my self quite clearly, i am in total agreement. the checking is a necessary part of the game. but cheap shots are also part of that checking aspect of the game. it would be interesting to see how the game will expand to dealing with that as well.

as i said, the game is changing.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yeah, hitting should stay in the game.

But if they want hitting to stay in the game, then they need to get a lot better at actually enforcing the rules than they are now.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
So Vegas winning: with their roster compared to the Hawks would you say one is coaching better than the other?

Reactions: TLEH

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
So Vegas winning: with their roster compared to the Hawks would you say one is coaching better than the other?
i say for starters , they have a better game-plan.... which the coach works within that game-plan.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Galant is a really good coach that is fresh with a team. Q is a HOF coach who is stale with a team. Way different situation.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
A lot of folks scoffed when I stated that Vegas would be good this year (in this thread). Not this good though.

Some difficult decisions coming up at the TD for the Vegas team.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
A lot of folks scoffed when I stated that Vegas would be good this year (in this thread). Not this good though.

Some difficult decisions coming up at the TD for the Vegas team.

I thought they would be pretty competitive and, on the high end, compete for a bottom playoff spot. I did not envision this. Anyone who says they did is full of it and/or should be buying lottery tickets while they're at it.

Reactions: kuzy

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Vegas is a testament to the fact that in the modern NHL game, if you pack a team with a ton of speed, that will paper over a lot of problems as far as both high end talent, and depth. I don't think VGK are particularly impressive in either regard, but when you skate at 1000mph it sure seems like you can compensate for a lack of talent with raw, consistent pressure.

I'm not sure it will work so well when you have to play the same team in a 7 game series, where the opponent can key in on deficiencies. Interested to find out.

Reactions: kuzy

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Under-reported story this season:

The Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line has not been on the ice for a 5v5 goal against yet this season. And they are straight up eviscerating opposition in possession, chance generation and goal diff, all while up against top competition and pretty tough zone starts.

Raw point fetishists will put the Kucherov/Stamkos line ahead of them on the rankings, but for me, that Bergeron line is unquestionably the best in hockey right now.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Under-reported story this season:

The Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line has not been on the ice for a 5v5 goal against yet this season. And they are straight up eviscerating opposition in possession, chance generation and goal diff, all while up against top competition and pretty tough zone starts.

Raw point fetishists will put the Kucherov/Stamkos line ahead of them on the rankings, but for me, that Bergeron line is unquestionably the best in hockey right now.

That's a pretty incredible stat. Hard to believe that's even possible.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
That's a pretty incredible stat. Hard to believe that's even possible.

Crazy thing is, this isn't even the first time Bergeron has done something like this.

I'll have to double check the stat, but I'm pretty certain that the 2013 Boston Bruins did not allow a 5v5 goal any time Bergeron and Chara were on the ice together, for the full 48 game RS.

The guy is just a corsi god.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
A half season in, a line being able to make that claim is something you'd expect only from a line that's been together only a handful of times, like my great uncle's boast that not a single Japanese Zero got past his anti-aircraft gun during WWII when he was stationed on a training base in Omaha.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Duclaire has requested a trade from Arizona.

I wonder what the price would be... couldn't be too high given that he's been struggling since his rookie season. I think a change of scenery would do him well.

Reactions: Blue Liner

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
last season i was all for trading for Duclair ..... this yr, while it is enticing i am having this M. Dano. i just don't know. if the price is ok, yeah, lets roll the dice.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I like him even as a bottom 6 type. Imagine a line of Duclair-Kampf-Hino.
it is a win-win situation, if the price is right. after this season, he will be a rfa and right now, he has to play his best to put up points and make a great impress after a 1 1/2 of bad hockey and luck.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Perhaps people that have gotten into more fights than me (I'm like at.... 20ish lifetime, most of them in my 20s at bars, so they're kind of a blur), but SURELY there is some kind of unspoken man-rule that you do not pull on the beard during a fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad