Around the League XXX: Oilers make the playoffs and Wings miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Love Matthew Tkachuk's game. Walt has to be proud.

I feel the opposite about the kid, yeah no doubt he has grit but seems he's trying to be Matt Cooke or Raffi Torres. Hope he doesn't go that far.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Matt Duchene last 18 games

1 goal (No assists) and a -18

Do you think the trade stuff got to his head? Has he quit given he knows he wont be in Colorado next year and team is dumpster fire? Or is he just playing that horrible of hockey right now?

Have to imagine a bit of everything. He deserves a better situation at this point.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
So JD how legit is Dangle, is he a type in the know?

He's not really a "sources guy," he's a podcaster/radio commentator so he's probably just throwing something out there that he thinks would be fun.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Closing in on the end of the season and it looks like Auston Matthews is on the same pace as Toews during his rookie year but he is scoring more goals. He is even better than I expected.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
So JD how legit is Dangle, is he a type in the know?

He's a Leafs homer, but he's got huge soft spot in his heart for the Hawks. Whenever he mentions the Hawks he goes through simultaneous wonderment at how amazing the team is at all levels while being despondent at the fact that the Leafs will never get there (not me being cocky, clearly what's in the back of his mind).

Just speculation on his part.

As for blatant speculation, I've started getting an odd feeling that Jagr will want to go to Toronto this offseason. Play for a Canadian team, maybe get some merch/advertising dough out of it, still have a relatively easy eastern travel schedule, and have some fun playing with some youngsters.

Either that, or he'll just have some fun in Vegas next season.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Preds lose to the Leafs in regulation. That'll keep the Blues and the Flames a point ahead of them for the third Central and first Wild Card slots (with the Blues having a game in hand).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Take -aways from last night :

1.McJesus gets his first shorty...what?we gotta worry about his pk now too?

2.McJesus with 27 multiple point games now..leads NHL in that feat.

So McJesus 27, $10.5 #1 12...yes that is correct ...27-12 !!! Defining what a 1 C "star" should be ...I guess. ..but it makes you think McJesus should be paid double or more what our captain costs on cap...I mean if you were rewarding "imoact" by a 1C would you not put more than double the multi-point games and almost double the scoring points into the valuation for "comparables"
...OK Toews windsthe faceoff wars ..but bother than that ?

3.We should call fear the Leafs..

I want no part of facing then in the Cup Final..They are too young and inexperienced to realizectheyvshould not be so dangerous ..yet here we are ..ahead of schedule. SCAREY !

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Take -aways from last night :

1.McJesus gets his first shorty...what?we gotta worry about his pk now too?

2.McJesus with 27 multiple point games now..leads NHL in that feat.

So McJesus 27, $10.5 #1 12...yes that is correct ...27-12 !!! Defining what a 1 C "star" should be ...I guess. ..but it makes you think McJesus should be paid double or more what our captain costs on cap...I mean if you were rewarding "imoact" by a 1C would you not put more than double the multi-point games and almost double the scoring points into the valuation for "comparables"
...OK Toews windsthe faceoff wars ..but bother than that ?

3.We should call fear the Leafs..

I want no part of facing then in the Cup Final..They are too young and inexperienced to realizectheyvshould not be so dangerous ..yet here we are ..ahead of schedule. SCAREY !

The Oilers are going to hand McDavid a blank check.

The Leafs should be feared when the get some D. Until then they have a huge hole.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Honestly, if they get a legit Dman, then I see them battling in the ECF. That's pretty much all they're missing.

Reilly, Gardiner, Zeitzez would make a hellish #2, #3 and #4.

I'm kinda hoping Ottawa cheaps out on Karlsson and he winds up in Toronto. :laugh:

Or hell, maybe LA's cap hell keeps them from resigning Doughty and he heads home to play with his Olympic coach.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly, if they get a legit Dman, then I see them battling in the ECF. That's pretty much all they're missing.

Reilly, Gardiner, Zeitzez would make a hellish #2, #3 and #4.

Where are they going to get a #1? Unless they tank for the number 1 pick next year I don't see where they are going to get one.

You don't trade for them anymore (Subban for Weber does not count).

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Where are they going to get a #1? Unless they tank for the number 1 pick next year I don't see where they are going to get one.

You don't trade for them anymore (Subban for Weber does not count).

I just listed too potential UFA pick-ups on teams that are going to have problems fitting them based on general cheapness (Ottawa) and cap concerns (LA).

Granted, if LA can't get a deal done with DOughty, that likely means they're blowing it up and rebuilding. I think that one is a lot less likely than the Karlsson scenario.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I didn't know where to put this. I was just killing time at work and was looking at the Hawks all time leaders and came across something that shocked me.

Savard is 10th in PIM in Hawks history and had 1300 PIM in his career?! He's 200th in NHL history in PIM?! I was born in 81, so I obviously didn't see his early career, but I remember the play making and the spin o ramas but I don't remember him fighting or anything like that. I'm floored.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Yeah, not just yet. Very much on the cusp of something really good up there but still some holes and not "there" yet.

Meh, I was living in DC when all the young stars (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, etc) all were up and coming, and a dynasty was in the near future. They're still trying to get past the second round for the first time since they went to the Finals in 98.

I don't put any stock in what might be.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Meh, I was living in DC when all the young stars (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, etc) all were up and coming, and a dynasty was in the near future. They're still trying to get past the second round for the first time since they went to the Finals in 98.

I don't put any stock in what might be.

I made no mention of any dynasty, just that they're going to be a very good team in the not too distant future. I also trust their front office more to continue to build on/around what they have.

I can just as easily point to a young up and coming Blackhawks team that actually did become something special. That can go both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad