Around the League: Second Round Starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Burke Steps Down from Calgary Sports + Entertainment.
Henderson (linesman that Wideman concussed) is ordered to pay some of the Flames legal fees (his claim got thrown out of court).

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
They will tank back to reality next year. Just like edmonton, Ottawa, Carolina etc. It happens all the time.

A mid range roster gets hot and goes on a run. They don’t have the horses to compete long term. Great for them and the fans. If not Nashville i would love for them to win it all. But they are an average team on paper

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I want to know if Trump survives 4 years...

I'm pretty sure getting 106 points and not losing a game through the first 5 games of the playoffs hardly qualifies as a "hot streak". I love watching how everyone's mind is getting blown here, based on the assumption that everyone here on hfboards knows ANYTHING about hockey. We're all just a bunch of armchair blowhards that spend too much time on the internet. Being wrong is okay. Not understanding the nuances of how something works is okay. If you watched last nights game and came away with any other opinion than "Vegas is a good hockey team", you are seriously confused and delusional.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Can I borrow your crystal ball? I want to know if Trump survives 4 years...

I'm pretty sure getting 106 points and not losing a game through the first 5 games of the playoffs hardly qualifies as a "hot streak". I love watching how everyone's mind is getting blown here, based on the assumption that everyone here on hfboards knows ANYTHING about hockey. We're all just a bunch of armchair blowhards that spend too much time on the internet. Being wrong is okay. Not understanding the nuances of how something works is okay. If you watched last nights game and came away with any other opinion than "Vegas is a good hockey team", you are seriously confused and delusional.

Heck I want Vegas to win the cup if not Nashville. None of us really know exactly what will happen. But history has a funny way of repeating itself. Vegas has the perfect storm of a whole bunch of vet players who are pissed that they were exposed and have all played with and against every team. Do you not see what an advantage that is? No other team has that?

They didn’t even pick the best team available. They weren’t trying to win this year. They took a bunch (not all) of castoffs and picks to NOT take the best players on each team.

GM McPhee couldn’t make Washington a winner with OVY and Backstrom et al. Gallant couldn’t take a Florida roster to the promised land but now he can take a bunch of castoffs?

What do you think? That all these players were secretly tanking and just waiting to come to an expansion team?

Derek England just magically became a 30 Min number 1 d? At what 35?
William Karlson has always been a 40 goal scorer he just didn’t want to score more than 3 the year before?

Water finds it’s level. They are an incredible story. And good for them. I can see one or 2 players just taking off after a change of scenery. But 20 guys playing the best hockey of their lives all at the same time is very unlikely to happen again.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
Stylistically I love how Vegas plays the game. Very fast and aggressive on both offence and defense.

That being said, MAF posting a .982 sv % through 5 games in the playoffs also helps.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Heck I want Vegas to win the cup if not Nashville. None of us really know exactly what will happen. But history has a funny way of repeating itself. Vegas has the perfect storm of a whole bunch of vet players who are pissed that they were exposed and have all played with and against every team. Do you not see what an advantage that is? No other team has that?

They didn’t even pick the best team available. They weren’t trying to win this year. They took a bunch (not all) of castoffs and picks to NOT take the best players on each team.

GM McPhee couldn’t make Washington a winner with OVY and Backstrom et al. Gallant couldn’t take a Florida roster to the promised land but now he can take a bunch of castoffs?

What do you think? That all these players were secretly tanking and just waiting to come to an expansion team?

Derek England just magically became a 30 Min number 1 d? At what 35?
William Karlson has always been a 40 goal scorer he just didn’t want to score more than 3 the year before?

Water finds it’s level. They are an incredible story. And good for them. I can see one or 2 players just taking off after a change of scenery. But 20 guys playing the best hockey of their lives all at the same time is very unlikely to happen again.

Good post. I'm still not sure what to make of VGK. They might be working in reverse - great present and a future that might not pan out as hoped. They certainly have solid current elements, such as a 3x Cup winning goalie, but I thought they'd resemble a team closer to the Pens team Fleury was drafted to than where they currently are. I wouldn't have thought playoffs.

Between parity and expansion draft parameters, best expansion team ever was a reasonable expectation. However, they were also buyers at the deadline, and winners of their division, and on the good side of a 1st round series sweep, and now up 1-0 in Round 2...

They're achieving amazing things. However, seven of this year's playoff teams are different from last season. This could be the start of something special for Vegas, or they could miss the playoffs next season. Interestingly enough, either scenario might not be surprising.

Last edited:

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
As much as I hate Cherry, he's totally right about Matthews there. Stop playing the match game. Tell your best that they are facing the best, and they will beat the best.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
As much as I hate Cherry, he's totally right about Matthews there. Stop playing the match game. Tell your best that they are facing the best, and they will beat the best.
Babcock over coaches, it's clear as day. I think park of it is he is trying to justify his pay check. Sometimes (most) though, the best option is to sit back and just do the obvious.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Defense Wins !!!

Las Vegas has won 5 straight games giving up 3 goals against total with 3SO already.

Winnipeg has won 5 games and have given up 4 GA in those 5 wins.

That's 10 wins and 7 goals against combined.

Leafs gave up those 7 goals X 2 in their first round series.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Offense wins!!
Pittsburgh came back from 2 goals down and scored 3 straight against a better defensive team

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Defense Wins !!!

Las Vegas has won 5 straight games giving up 3 goals against total with 3SO already.

Winnipeg has won 5 games and have given up 4 GA in those 5 wins.

That's 10 wins and 7 goals against combined.

Leafs gave up those 7 goals X 2 in their first round series.

Wait are you saying that the jets who let in 48 shots are an example of good D in that game?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Boston scores another one with 1 shot on goal in the last 9 plus minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad