Around the League: Second Round Starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Just two chances left for a series to go seven. 2nd round looks interesting so far. Thinking San Jose and Nashville to advance.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Bishop is mediocre. And he's injury prone, his contract is gonna be bad pretty soon.

Even if all of this were true which it isnt Bishop has started at least 50 games since he became a starter (63, 59, 60, 37 and 51) with the exception of one season. In that time he has put up a .920 s% and 2.33 GAA - those are solid starter numbers. And he really didnt miss much time last season just that Andrei Vasilevskiy was better and taking over the starting job because he was younger and cheaper. So if you think that is injury prone and a save percentage of .920 is mediocre then all the power to you.

Not earth shattering by any means but my point was that Philly went with half measures to address their goaltending situation and they got half measure results - similar to Calgary. All im saying is that Bishop is a better goalie than what the Flyer's currently have and his contract isnt bad by any means. There are only 12-13 goalies i take over him and he has the 17th highest in cap hit. Dallas gave up 262 goals in 2016-17 and last season with Bishop they gave up 225 goals (Tampa gave up 236 goals this season) - almost 40 goals better with one of the most inexperienced defenses in the league - the only defensemen that played more than 40 games over the age of 25 were Pateryn and Hamhuis. Everyone else was 25 or younger - not a recipe for success.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Chuck Fletcher is now a free agent (his contract will not be renewed by Minnesota)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
no idea.
i don't think Minny was that bad in six years that made him seem like cannon fodder.

That's fair. I imagine a healthy Wild team was still going to be an underdog vs Winnipeg; not sure whether that's more pro or con for the GM. Could be a potential trade partner.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While I’ve been biased towards the Leafs going with an internal candidate - ie like Dubas, I’d probably jump for joy if Shanahan went wth Fletcher, he’s everything you want in a Gm. Smart drafting, trading and for the most part contracts, likes his stats too.

I can see why he Wilds ownership would want some sort of symbolic change but this firing was a mistake. He’s built some great Wild teams that unfortunately kept running into bad luck (poorly timed injuries, or running up against a red hot Hawks team at their peak).

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
While I’ve been biased towards the Leafs going with an internal candidate - ie like Dubas, I’d probably jump for joy if Shanahan went wth Fletcher, he’s everything you want in a Gm. Smart drafting, trading and for the most part contracts, likes his stats too.

I can see why he Wilds ownership would want some sort of symbolic change but this firing was a mistake. He’s built some great Wild teams that unfortunately kept running into bad luck (poorly timed injuries, or running up against a red hot Hawks team at their peak).

he or fenton. happy days.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

With Cliff already on board bring his boy Chuck in would be great.

The only better than 1 Fletcher is 2 Fletchers.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Bednar extends in COL.

so basically.
one coach fired
one coach 'quit'
one GM let go

pretty quiet.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Fletcher basically ran the most mediocre team in the NHL for a past while.

Stuck with safe two way players and tried to grind his way into success. When your #1 center is Koivu its not a good chance you have a dynamic offense. The Parise and Suter deals, while solid players, significantly handcuffed his teams maneuverability.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Fletcher basically ran the most mediocre team in the NHL for a past while.

Stuck with safe two way players and tried to grind his way into success. When your #1 center is Koivu its not a good chance you have a dynamic offense. The Parise and Suter deals, while solid players, significantly handcuffed his teams maneuverability.

What I think is interesting is that he managed to keep a constant influx of good players via solid drafting (ie not relying on too 10 picks), and the Wild were defintley contending level for a few seasons.

What the wild lacked was that high end offensive talent (usually gotten via tanking).

Imo he could be an interesting fit for a team that’s already done the dirty work of getting its high end talent and is now focused on adding the last few pieces and sustaining what they’ve already built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad