Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Nylander is going to get same treatment next year. People here are getting fed up with bringing little yet getting paid like top 10 stars

There are other ways to contribute. This doing just enough won't go too well

He wanted his money. He go it. He wanted term he go it. He better score 40 goals every year

He makes almost the same money as Pasta. Pasta went to the finals. Pasta scored 60 goals in this league. Pasta has 2 100 point seasons. 1 92 point season

Pasta was 3rd in forwards with hits.

Clock is also on Nylander.
And pasta is currently getting eviscerated by his own fan base for how few points he had in the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
And pasta is currently getting eviscerated by his own fan base for how few points he had in the playoffs this year.
Boston fans are hard on their players. Pasta did have a subpar playoffs by his comparison

We should have been hard on our players 4 years ago.

When Pasta was 22 he had 20 points in 12 playoffs games. He was the 2nd leading goal scorer when they went to finals the year after

We never got anything close to that kind of outbursts from any of our top 4

We coddled them too much

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Boston fans are hard on their players. Pasta did have a subpar playoffs by his comparison

When Pasta was 22 he had 20 points in 12 playoffs games. He was the 2nd leading goal scorer when they went to finals the year after

We coddled them too much

While not necessarily untrue, I think that’s a bit of an oversimplification. We haven’t had any teams as good as those bruins teams were.

The fact the majority of players who have come here seemingly underperform offensively in the postseason is on the players sure but it is also indicative of systemic issues imo

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
Rangers-Panthers is going to be an interesting series. Rangers' best path to success is their special teams and getting in Bob's head because they are going to be outgunned at ES. Think that one is going at least 6 games. Panthers are murder to play against due to their forechecking and physicality. Neither team winning would surprise me, they are definitely the two best teams in the conference.

I live in Boston and this is a very different market than Toronto.

Boston has higher expectations and way less class, and I mean the latter as a compliment because nice guys finish last in hockey. The hockey fans reflect that mindset.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

We coddled them too much

Dubas was probably reading them bedtime stories after every loss...:sarcasm:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

We coddled them too much
What does this mean? How were they "coddled"? Conversely, was Boston somehow hard on Pasta? If so, it clearly hasn't worked because he had the worst offensive playoff numbers of his career this year. I don't think there is any magic formula to it. Pasta ran into the same problem this season that the Leafs have run into multiple times - when playing teams who limit time and space, the offensive numbers are not there. It's not a coincidence that the Leafs had their best offensive numbers last season against Tampa in the first round. Tampa was not good defensively (and nor were they this season), and Vasi was terrible. The problem is that doesn't happen very often in the playoffs, and virtually never in the later rounds of the playoffs.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Rangers-Panthers is going to be an interesting series. Rangers' best path to success is their special teams and getting in Bob's head because they are going to be outgunned at ES. Think that one is going at least 6 games. Panthers are murder to play against due to their forechecking and physicality. Neither team winning would surprise me, they are definitely the two best teams in the conference.

Boston has higher expectations and way less class, and I mean the latter as a compliment because nice guys finish last in hockey. The hockey fans reflect that mindset.
yea that Rangers Panthers series is going to be fun to watch! I cant Wait, yes that Boston market is totally nuts! Felger and Mazz, and Zolak and Bertrand, is quickly becoming my favorite thing to watch now lol, ruthless!

Reactions: PromisedLand

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
yea that Rangers Panthers series is going to be fun to watch! I cant Wait, yes that Boston market is totally nuts! Felger and Mazz, and Zolak and Bertrand, is quickly becoming my favorite thing to watch now lol, ruthless!
Felger is kind of anti-Bruins in general for whatever reason, but in general this town will call you out if you don't perform when it matters. You have to earn loyalty here, you don't get it just by wearing the uniforms.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
While not necessarily untrue, I think that’s a bit of an oversimplification. We haven’t had any teams as good as those bruins teams were.

The fact the majority of players who have come here seemingly underperform offensively in the postseason is on the players sure but it is also indicative of systemic issues imo

and why do you think that is the case? was the previous GM a full blown moron? (if you say then I'd agree with you)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
and why do you think that is the case? was the previous GM a full blown moron? (if you say then I'd agree with you)

I wouldn’t go as far as full blown moron, but his philosophy did not work and he definitely made a fair number of mistakes.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Felger is kind of anti-Bruins in general for whatever reason, but in general this town will call you out if you don't perform when it matters. You have to earn loyalty here, you don't get it just by wearing the uniforms.

you mean there are not seen as "gods" over there? huh I wonder... if marner could help that...

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I wouldn’t go as far as full blown moron, but his philosophy did not work and he definitely made a fair number of mistakes.
Agreed.

No matter what one's opinion on Dubas is, the objective bottom line here is that he gambled on the core and lost.

you mean there are not seen as "gods" over there? huh I wonder... if marner could help that...

:sarcasm:

:laugh:
Oh they are...if they earn it.

Guys like Tom Brady are gods because they earned it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

He's getting killed because he had 8 points in 13 games. He deserves the criticism.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

You know what the frustrating part is? Few of the fans already called the stupidity of that philosophy out. They were "cancelled" and were "disciplined" on these boards.

Then... the media (Johnston, Seigel, Mirtle, etc...) everyone basically bowed to the overlords and parroted their philosophy 24/7 in the market.

Hell the ShanaCON was going to extend the dude with the moronic philosophy if he didn't put on a "show" last year at the exit interviews.

This current turn around it seems is almost like God himself is saying "that is it no more"; it almost feels like some kind of cosmic event at present given the changes that we have seen thus far and may see in the future

Reactions: Cleetus

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He's getting killed because he had 8 points in 13 games. He deserves the criticism.
Considering what he has done for that team he's allowed to have one bad playoffs

Also he's not surrounded by 3 other 10+ million dollar players

He also lost some key players last few years in who were stars in this league. Bergeron

Where our pumpkin pies did not no anything in any playoffs.

They didn't lose anybody significant. Hyman? He wasn't doing anything for us to begin with

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
But I thought Tocchet was a "hard-ass" and holds his players "accountable"? The reality is that coaches are powerless to improve a player's game unless the player has it in him or her to improve in the moment. Some players will, some players won't.
You can’t take one bad game as an example.
No coaches and teams go undefeated in the regular season and playoffs.
Also, maybe the opposing coach was also making everyone accountable.
At the end, everyone on the team needs to play their roles and hope they are better than the opposing team with luck.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Considering what he has done for that team he's allowed to have one bad playoffs

Also he's not surrounded by 3 other 10+ million dollar players

He also lost some key players last few years in who were stars in this league. Bergeron

Where our pumpkin pies did not no anything in any playoffs.

They didn't lose anybody significant. Hyman? He wasn't doing anything for us to begin with

boson's center depth is a JOKE as far as I am concerned; and they still managed to make a series out of it against the panthers. Its mindboggling.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You can’t take one bad game as an example.
No coaches and teams go undefeated in the regular season and playoffs.
Also, maybe the opposing coach was also making everyone accountable.
At the end, everyone on the team needs to play their roles and hope they are better than the opposing team with luck.
One bad game? Pettersson has been bad for the entire playoffs. All I'm saying is, a coach can only do so much. Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, etc. didn't excel in big moments because of coaching. Nor will Auston Matthews. The athlete dictates how the athlete performs, not the coach. All the coach can do is create an environment, or a structure, within which the athlete is put in the best position to succeed. It's why in any sport there are very few coaches who have won championships with different teams, and when you look at the ones who have, you need only look at the teams they had to understand why that happened (Bowman in hockey, Phil Jackson in the NBA).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One bad game? Pettersson has been bad for the entire playoffs. All I'm saying is, a coach can only do so much. Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, etc. didn't excel in big moments because of coaching. Nor will Auston Matthews. The athlete dictates how the athlete performs, not the coach. All the coach can do is create an environment, or a structure, within which the athlete is put in the best position to succeed. It's why in any sport there are very few coaches who have won championships with different teams, and when you look at the ones who have, you need only look at the teams they had to understand why that happened (Bowman in hockey, Phil Jackson in the NBA).
agree with that 100%.
At the end of the day it is on the players as I don’t think any coaches will tell the players to lose the game.
Coach set up structure and system and players need to follow that. And both need to adjust in game in order to beat the opposing team.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
agree with that 100%.
At the end of the day it is on the players as I don’t think any coaches will tell the players to lose the game.
Coach set up structure and system and players need to follow that. And both need to adjust in game in order to beat the opposing team.

And yet, not absolving the players of their role in the results at all, but, if most of the players on the team are underperforming offensively in the playoffs, does that not also potentially indicate systemic and structural issues with the way the team is formed and coached

Reactions: Gabriel426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad