Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If media and all that didn't make such a big deal about people not wearing the pride jerseys and actually celebrated what the league was doing with pride nights then I doubt this happens. Instead all them bashing the few players who didn't wear them and going on about those players completely overshadowed the entire pride night because that's all we heard about was the people who didn't wear them. Still shouldn't ban pride tape and all that because of it because that should be up to the players themselves so I hope most players just disregard the ban and do put it on anyways and I hope the teams will pay the fines or whatever.
Doubt it would have changed anything if the media brought it up or not. Once Provorov did it, it set a standard for all the others to follow suit. Nothing was cancelled until multiple players started sitting out and the NHL started to realize how the optics were on all of this so just took the easy way out and pulled the plug on it all.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Doubt it would have changed anything if the media brought it up or not. Once Provorov did it, it set a standard for all the others to follow suit. Nothing was cancelled until multiple players started sitting out. Blaming the media for this is such a cop out.
How many players didn't wear it out of every player in the entire league? Provorov? Reimer? Staal brothers? I feel like I'm missing 2 or 3 Russians who didn't wear it. 7 players decided not to wear the jersey and 4 of them were Russians who have strict anti gay laws in their country, but the way media freaked out you'd think a majority of the league didn't wear the jersey. That brought a lot of negative attention to the league because they made it like it was the NHLs fault just because very few players chose against wearing it instead of actually celebrating Pride nights. Look at the reaction to them banning pride tape. They are mad players don't get to choose to use it or not but these same people went after players who chose not to wear the jersey. NHL probably just trying to avoid all that but I doubt it's gonna go the way they planned and this will most likely get reversed in the future. Players should be able to use pride tape and jerseys and players should also be able to not wear the jersey or use the tape and get flamed for it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Doubt it would have changed anything if the media brought it up or not. Once Provorov did it, it set a standard for all the others to follow suit. Nothing was cancelled until multiple players started sitting out and the NHL started to realize how the optics were on all of this so just took the easy way out and pulled the plug on it all.

I think if the League goes, it is up to players and teams….I can see medias will be hounding players who don’t wear pride jersey or use the tape during warmups.
To me it is no longer about players choice but more down to the Court of Public Opinion.
I don’t think banning all is the right solution but I really don’t see the League got any other choices.
I saw a clip somewhere someone-I believe he is an American Politician said something like he is against the tyranny of the minority. Which I totally agree and that’s pretty much what our society has become.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How many players didn't wear it out of every player in the entire league? Provorov? Reimer? Staal brothers? I feel like I'm missing 2 or 3 Russians who didn't wear it. 7 players decided not to wear the jersey and 4 of them were Russians who have strict anti gay laws in their country, but the way media freaked out you'd think a majority of the league didn't wear the jersey. That brought a lot of negative attention to the league because they made it like it was the NHLs fault just because very few players chose against wearing it instead of actually celebrating Pride nights. Look at the reaction to them banning pride tape. They are mad players don't get to choose to use it or not but these same people went after players who chose not to wear the jersey. NHL probably just trying to avoid all that but I doubt it's gonna go the way they planned and this will most likely get reversed in the future. Players should be able to use pride tape and jerseys and players should also be able to not wear the jersey or use the tape and get flamed for it.
I agree with you but the medias will always focus on those who didn’t wear pride jersey and use pride tape.
Personally, just bc someone didn’t wear pride jersey or use pride tape doesn’t mean that person is anti-LGBTQ2+, it could just be that they don’t want to wear it.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Good for Laughton. McDavid and the others should stand up as well if they're 'disappointed'.

This. McDavid should say F it do like Laughton. What will the league do? Suspend it's top superstar?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The summer of Pierre!

Shouldn't be a problem. We were constantly told that Stutzle and Sanderson both inked team friendly deals.

Eventually people will wise up that the regular season let alone playoffs aren't determined by a few offseason moves in the summer......

Well, probably not, but it would be nice if that happened

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad