Around the League: Playoffs II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

The "well they're letting them play" mantra doesn't hold water here when you consider the cheap call they made on Huberdeau minutes earlier.

I guarantee dumb and dumber decided to tuck their whistles away because the net was empty and they felt it didn't matter. Complete idiots.

I was thinking you could have even gave a goal, but at least the penalty. I mean what's next knock the net off in that situation and they will blow the whistle.

Hard to believe 23 years since NYI win a series.

This is exactly why "letting them play" is absolutely moronic. Just call the penalties the way the rules state.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Florida's tank is on empty, they look exhausted. I think it's going to take a miracle solo effort for them to get one through here.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Hoping Fla can pull it out, if nothing else just for another Game 7. Hasn't been enough long series this year.

Well that didn't work out.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
By far the best player on the ice tonight. Processes the game at an extremely high level and has the skills and work ethic to match the brains. Total package.

Yup. He's a hell of a player. One of the best in the game right now. If he's playing like that I'd be worried if I was Tampa.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Kinda felt that Panthers had really settled in and were dominating play in the 2nd OT and forcing turnovers by good NZ presence. They really had Islanders on the ropes. Tavares goal scored against the grain and Luongo has to read the around the net possibility. man he looked awkward on that. Mind you the D had to impede Tavares there as well. How do yet let somebody just skate beside you and tuck it in?

Next, officiating. When people say "let them play' they don't mean let everything go it means top calling nickel and dime chintzy stuff that are not obvious penalties. Trips that prevent a scoring chance, charging, two hand cross checks like Jagr got to the back should still be penalties. lol but in the 2nd OT it started to look like Islanders Idea of man coverage was just to crosscheck somebody as hard as they can so they're bend over in pain, then skate away with the puck..:shakehead

For the most part the best team did not win today.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Yup. He's a hell of a player. One of the best in the game right now. If he's playing like that I'd be worried if I was Tampa.

Should be a high powered series, the second round is actually shaping up quite nicely.

Can't go wrong with any of the matchups the way its looking now. My favorite time of year :popcorn:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The playoff format is nuts.

Caps and Pens were 1,2 in the East by a wide margin. For all that regular season effort they both end up playing better teams than Tampa had to face in first round.

Now, lol, they have to play each other while Tampa gets NYI, the one other team in the conference they would even have a chance beating.

Tampa has somehow had the fortune to play the worst team in both rounds in the EC. Charmed life. Tampa did nothing to earn this either. Through the stupidity of the bracket Florida, who finished well ahead of Tampa had to play the Islanders, a better club than Detroit.

It seems that in the NHL's bracket configuration the secret to success is coming from a weak division and finding yourself in the right spot.

Caps and Pens should be the EC final. That's when those two should face each other, not in 2nd round.

Playoff format should be pts based only and 1 vs 8 conference play or 1 vs 16 fully interlocking play. Anything else is stupid.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The playoff format is nuts.

Caps and Pens were 1,2 in the East by a wide margin. For all that regular season effort they both end up playing better teams than Tampa had to face in first round.

Now, lol, they have to play each other while Tampa gets NYI, the one other team in the conference they would even have a chance beating.

Tampa has somehow had the fortune to play the worst team in both rounds in the EC. Charmed life. Tampa did nothing to earn this either. Through the stupidity of the bracket Florida, who finished well ahead of Tampa had to play the Islanders, a better club than Detroit.

It seems that in the NHL's bracket configuration the secret to success is coming from a weak division and finding yourself in the right spot.

Caps and Pens should be the EC final. That's when those two should face each other, not in 2nd round.

Playoff format should be pts based only and 1 vs 8 conference play or 1 vs 16 fully interlocking play. Anything else is stupid.

I'd be down with 1 vs 16. If two teams from the same conference make it, so be it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Winners don't blame the referees for not getting done.

Looks good on the Panthers.

Bang on. Was a great game. Islanders dominated for long stretches in that first OT and then Panthers really looked excellent in the 2OT. Was a lot of fun to watch.

Really looking forward to the second round in the East. Caps/Pens should be really exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing what a rested (and hopefully healthy) Lightning team can do against an Islanders roster that's had a longer series but has a lot of momentum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I'm down for the top team from Division A and top team from Division B being given an assured spot to play 7 or 8 and the rest being slotted 3 v 6, 4 v 5.

In retrospect, it would have been...
East
1. Washington (DL)
2. Florida (DL)
3. Pittsburgh
4. New York Rangers
5. New York Islanders
6. Tampa Bay
7. Philadelphia
8. Detroit

WSH v DET
NYR v NYI
---
FLA v PHI
PIT v TBL

West
1. Dallas (DL)
2. Anaheim (DL)
3. St Louis
4. Chicago
5. Los Angeles
6. San Jose
7. Nashville
8. Minnesota

DAL v MIN
CHI v LAK
---
ANA v NSH
STL v SJS

+1 because we get to see a NYR/NYI series and a CHI/LAK series. Plus, this way, the division system means something (winner gets best spot), but the points you score also mean something irrespective of division.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No surprise Florida lost the series. They were pretenders from day one. Trying to pick between them and the Islanders was difficult because both of these teams are near the top of the league when it comes to playoff ineptitide. Either of those teams against a real team and they would have been curb stomped.

Luckily for the Islanders, I'm not sure Tampa is a real team without Stamkos and Stralman.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Did Florida change their name to the Oilers or something to piss off the refs?

That tripping non-call was as blatant and disgustingly awful as I've ever seen.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Did Florida change their name to the Oilers or something to piss off the refs?

That tripping non-call was as blatant and disgustingly awful as I've ever seen.

I have no idea why people are surprised. That is NHL reffing and has been as far back as I remember.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The NHL wanted to have division rivals built which I can understand and maybe this is just a one off year, but it's rather unfortunate that two top teams are playing in R2 when it should've been the EC final.

However if you wanted to make division rivals, what was the point of having division rivals play as teammates in the ASG? Seems like it's something that counters the whole playoffs bracket they developed.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
The NHL wanted to have division rivals built which I can understand and maybe this is just a one off year, but it's rather unfortunate that two top teams are playing in R2 when it should've been the EC final.

However if you wanted to make division rivals, what was the point of having division rivals play as teammates in the ASG? Seems like it's something that counters the whole playoffs bracket they developed.

The NHL doesn't know what the **** they want. They're all over the place with everything.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'm just curious what is next. Them losing a lot of fans due to no canadian teams being in is kinda scary.

Is it really that big of a deal. Won't a lot of those folks be back as soon as their team makes the playoffs again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad