Around the league part 12: "Greiss is Green-er on the other Sedoff the Zaitsev"..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
For Duchene? Not really, that was a haul that Columbus gave up.

The only thing that was a "haul" were the two 1sts and one of those was conditional. Giving up our 3rd and 5th best prospect (using the Athletic's Fall ranking) would have included Kuokkanen and Roy. Also, I believe the 2019 1st was Top 3 protected. I'm one that still believe's that both Kuokkanen and Roy have an NHL future, but even so, I'd have been inclined to make that trade IF and only if, we could have gotten him resigned.

I dunno, would you have been ok with 2019 1st, conditional 2020 1st (Duchene re-signs), Bean and Gauthier? (Approx 3rd and 5th prospects at beginning of year)
Bean is probably, currently, our 2nd ranked prospect after Necas. I'd be reluctant to give up Gauthier as I've stated before.

To me this team isn't ready for a high-priced rental and with no guarantee that Duchene is resigning, this seems like a bad decision. If we're going the rental route, I'd be more inclined to try and pull in a Nyquist or something similar....somebody who can add pop, but won't cost high end assets....and maybe even a guy like him costs more than we should be paying.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I don’t want to see Kuokkanen moved for a rental either. And the entire point is he’s a rental and wouldn’t negotiate prior to the deal.

If Duchene were willing to sign immediately or sign and trade that’s a different conversation. One that probably involves Necas.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So is anybody mad that CBJ got Duchene and for the 2nd time the Canes sat on their hands when he was available? You'd think this team, with as deep a prospect pool, would be more than willing to trade futures to try to make the playoffs for the 1st time in 10 years.

Nah. First time around, he had term left on his contract. This time, he was a true rental, with very little chance of resigning (if any). If anything, it makes me more mad that we weren't in on him the first time around. He had 1 3/4 very good seasons for Ottawa and had he done the same for us, we could be going to the playoffs for the second straight season this year.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm fairly certain Jeff Skinner just broke his leg.

Hagelin got his stick between Skinner's legs as Jeff was spinning around, but his left skate was still on the ice. Looked horrifically bad. He was in the ice in pain for a while and had to be helped off.

For Jeff's sake, I hope it's not as bad as it looked.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm fairly certain Jeff Skinner just broke his leg.

Hagelin got his stick between Skinner's legs as Jeff was spinning around, but his left skate was still on the ice. Looked horrifically bad. He was in the ice in pain for a while and had to be helped off.

For Jeff's sake, I hope it's not as bad as it looked.
Yeah that looked terrible. Reminded me of Jason Kendall tripping on 1st way back when. Gave me the willies for sure. Yikes.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Didn’t watch. Ankle injuries make me squeamish.

Really feel for Skinner, especially going into ufa. I bet it’s going to be very tough to get a team to sign up at top dollar for him until he proves this injury won’t have lasting effects.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Boy, I hope he is ok and gets healthy quickly.

That said, that injury is the poster child of what GMs and players fear with a UFA player on a borderline team the weekend of the deadline. I wonder if a few guys that have been rumored to be on the move, but have been playing (cough cough Rangers), may suddenly be scratched tonight and tomorrow.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Didn’t watch. Ankle injuries make me squeamish.

Really feel for Skinner, especially going into ufa. I bet it’s going to be very tough to get a team to sign up at top dollar for him until he proves this injury won’t have lasting effects.

As he was being carried off, he pulled his cellphone from his socks and called his agent, telling him to sign whatever is in front of him.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
73012734-C8E3-472E-8055-DE875465536F.jpeg

Ouch. :(

Reactions: SvechneJerk

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Gosh that injury doesn't look good. Hate to see Skinner go down. What awful timing for him too. That's going to cost him millions most likely. Really wanted to see him hit 40+ this year which he was easily going to do.

Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad