Around the League Part 11: When in doubt, blame Fortnite

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think Aho could play in Liiga in any other team than Karpat, and there might be roster and money issues to make that a non-viable option. I would assume it's a hassle to fit in NHL players in the rosters who will then ditch once the season commences.

I know this is a favorite pasttime of ours, but I'm going to go on record as saying that there is no roster or money issue that will keep Karpat from employing Sebastian Aho if he chooses to play there during the lockout. Will there be issues? I'm sure. But they will be solved.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Edmonton places Zykov back on waivers.

We can claim him and have the option to send him down to Charlotte. Michael Smith thinks the ship has sailed, since he's on the first year of a two year, one way contract. I sure hope he's wrong.

I'd like to see us reclaim him, let him development some more in Charlotte, and give him one last shot next training camp.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We can claim him and have the option to send him down to Charlotte. Michael Smith thinks the ship has sailed, since he's on the first year of a two year, one way contract. I sure hope he's wrong.

I'd like to see us reclaim him, let him development some more in Charlotte, and give him one last shot next training camp.

Yes, if and only if no one else puts a claim on him now. He didn't clear the waivers then, and if someone else besides us claims him, he doesn't clear them now even if our waivers claim takes precedence.

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Still have to wonder, if his coach in Charlotte was puzzled by the move, what the basis was?

He's on one-way contract, not exempt of waivers, and was sent down (Nov 13th) on a conditioning loan that can last for 14 days max, without him clearing waivers, and the time came up.

The waivers on Zykov were reported on Nov 29th, so a couple of days too late to meet the 14-day rule. Can't remember if he was recalled to Canes right before the waivers. He was recalled to Canes on Nov 25th alongside Bean.

It may be the League didn't accept the Canes' use of the waivers-avoiding conditioning loan on a player who had been a healthy scratch, and forced the waivers procedure on Zykov.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We can speculate further tomorrow when we presumably will hear if Canes a) did or b) didn't try claim Zykov.

Did we need the roster room to make a move on Nylander or someone else, and had to shenaniganize with Zykov to get it without? Did we have waivers-exempts besides Aho in the roster*?

(*Because sending Aho down to get Nylander would have been magnificent in the Hello Houston kind of way)

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
For the repeats:

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club

The CBA pretty much point blank says that we are watching that you mofos won't misuse this.

It's harsh, because they needed Zykov's consent for the CL, and if it actually backfired on them in the way I speculate, and Z got shipped to Alberta because of playing ball like a good team player, can't blame the Canes to be too embarrassed to publicly own up what happened.

Bad for Zykov because he got potentially completely unwarranted negative rep out of it. The GMs around the league probs know the real reasons I'd assume.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don’t think we want the one way contract. Ironic since we gave it to him.
It was a worthwhile gamble. If he failed and some sucker took him off our hands as happened, cool, but if not, it wouldn't cripple even us. If he had carried over his AHL play and end of last year NHL play, it could have been as big of a bargain as there is in the league.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Seems other middling forwards got a longer leash, when he has the one skill they lack. I was one of those that thinks his skating holds him back too much but he’s a righty.

I don’t think we should reclaim him because we’ve already made our decision the first time. Don’t waste his time unless we’re really gonna give him more scoring chances.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Waddell should be on a plane to Dallas as we speak and not come back until he comes back with one of the two. Or both.

As for Zykov, something we weren't privy to caused us to sour on him, and apparently it was evident in Edmonton as well. If we claim him, so be it. But no issue if we pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad