Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It may be another 5-10 years or more. Hopefully not, but that is the reality of trying to win in this league. Luckily our core is young and extremely good at hockey, so we should have plenty of opportunities over that time frame.

If we stay the course, agreed. Tavares expedites it like Matthews did.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's the thing. We don't know when we'll win, if ever. We could win next season or 10 years from now or it might take another 50 years. We just never know. It may take us many years of struggle to win just 1, like Wash. Or we may win it next year. Who knows?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Take note Leaf fans. A decade of struggle and effort and repeated failure. Not easy to win a Cup.

Happy for Ovi.

I recall reading Caps fans being fed up with OV, Backstrom and the rest of the Caps after losing to the Pens last year. Caps really did not make many changes. In fact they may have been a better team last year. The difference is that in this year's playoffs they had "the will and the want". They were down 2-0 going into Columbus and OV promised they would be going back to Washington. Well done OV. No more questioning your heart.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Don't worry it's coming. We have a coach who understands the importance of compete and what fans + media a like completely undervalue the importance of what get's labelled as 3rd, 4th liners (Hyman/Komorov/Polak types).

Just about everybody has team building backwards because when it comes to winning it's not all about having the deepest team of high end skill. Babcock has this team on the right path. The standard isn't Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Reilly talents. It's Hyman's freaking work ethic.

How do you beat high end skill? You out work it
How do you beat high end skill that out works you? You don't.

That's the development curb Babcock has for this young core and that is why He will be the head coach of record that ends that damn 1967 drought.

i really really hope so.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I recall reading Caps fans being fed up with OV, Backstrom and the rest of the Caps after losing to the Pens last year. Caps really did not make many changes. In fact they may have been a better team last year. The difference is that in this year's playoffs they had "the will and the want". They were down 2-0 going into Columbus and OV promised they would be going back to Washington. Well done OV. No more questioning your heart.

Yeah, congrats to OV and the rest of them.

I'm happy they won, I've really hated the narrative that some teams (CHI, LA,PIT) do things right and others (SJ, STL, WSH etc.) do things wrong. It's hard to win the cup and sometimes it's a very fine line between the "model franchises" and the ones who are "doing things the wrong way".

Reactions: carko32

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Capitals winning over Jets was my choice in the Brackets.

I blame the Jets for falling to the Knights, otherwise I'd join the other million or so who had a Jets-Capitals Finals.

I actually had a Nash Caps final at the beginning of the playoffs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I actually had a Nash Caps final at the beginning of the playoffs.

It was a toss-up for me, I just thought the Jets played a little more playoffs style and could bring a touch more physicality to the game. (Heavier style)

I took the Caps to win it because I thought they had gone through adversity enough times that this year it would give them the edge.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Yeah, congrats to OV and the rest of them.

I'm happy they won, I've really hated the narrative that some teams (CHI, LA,PIT) do things right and others (SJ, STL, WSH etc.) do things wrong. It's hard to win the cup and sometimes it's a very fine line between the "model franchises" and the ones who are "doing things the wrong way".

This is true. After Crosby was asked if Caps are different this year:

"I thought they were pretty relentless the last couple years, too. The games are separated by one goal here, mistake here, mistake there. I didn’t see them give in before. That’s an easy storyline because we ended up winning."

It helps to illustrate that hockey players really understand how difficult it is to win and how luck factors in. Moreover, it also sheds some light how other players know that is not about "choking" but about getting a break or two along the way.

Despite the rivalry, I think there's a deep mutual respect between these two teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

"I thought they were pretty relentless the last couple years, too. The games are separated by one goal here, mistake here, mistake there. I didn’t see them give in before. That’s an easy storyline because we ended up winning."

It helps to illustrate that hockey players really understand how difficult it is to win and how luck factors in. Moreover, it also sheds some light how other players know that is not about "choking" but about getting a break or two along the way.

Despite the rivalry, I think there's a deep mutual respect between these two teams.

Great quote, thanks for sharing! And good point about choking, I've come to hate how overused that term is. When WSH went down 3-2 to TB, there were people on the main boards calling WSH chokers, just ridiculous. That was a great example of the "easy storyline" Crosby mentioned, smart guy that Crosby. :)

I think that's the best part of WSH winning - all the people calling WSH chokers and saying they don't possess "the right stuff" etc. look foolish now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Regardless of what Crosby said they had a little extra something this year. Also DSP broke their will in that series. If I knew DSP would be there during a season I would be all over aquiring him.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Great quote, thanks for sharing! And good point about choking, I've come to hate how overused that term is. When WSH went down 3-2 to TB, there were people on the main boards calling WSH chokers, just ridiculous. That was a great example of the "easy storyline" Crosby mentioned, smart guy that Crosby. :)

I think that's the best part of WSH winning - all the people calling WSH chokers and saying they don't possess "the right stuff" etc. look foolish now.

I agree. Players truly know how fine that line is between losing and winning. The last 4 times Caps and Pens have met in the playoffs, the winner has gone on to win the Cup.

Regardless of what Crosby said they had a little extra something this year. Also DSP broke their will in that series. If I knew DSP would be there during a season I would be all over aquiring him.

I agree as well. Caps were definitely a lot mentally tougher this year and their depth guys like DSP did to the Pens what they used to do to the Caps. Trotz openly admitted he didn't even want the Caps to sign DSP.

Funny how things turn out sometimes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It was a toss-up for me, I just thought the Jets played a little more playoffs style and could bring a touch more physicality to the game. (Heavier style)

I took the Caps to win it because I thought they had gone through adversity enough times that this year it would give them the edge.

Caps used the Leafs playoff battle of 2017 to battle ready them for the 2018 playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree. Players truly know how fine that line is between losing and winning. The last 4 times Caps and Pens have met in the playoffs, the winner has gone on to win the Cup.

I agree as well. Caps were definitely a lot mentally tougher this year and their depth guys like DSP did to the Pens what they used to do to the Caps. Trotz openly admitted he didn't even want the Caps to sign DSP.

Funny how things turn out sometimes.

And that's why I hope Dubas assembles a roster and not Babcock. When people are too close, sometimes they are blinded. Goes for all people.

Reactions: Menzinger

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

This was a crazy (good) prediction by you. I felt the Jets were too cocky against the Knights. It's like they felt at some point the Knights would crumble and they refused to adapt and alter their approach. I also have to question if Maurice is the right choice or not.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
And that's why I hope Dubas assembles a roster and not Babcock. When people are too close, sometimes they are blinded. Goes for all people.

Coachs develop massive bias towards certain players and it can really stunt proper line construction and usage.

I think Hyman is a solid player but the fact hes been stapled to Matthews line for two full years and not one other option was tried is somewhat comical.

I think before Mike could pull some crazy stuff and if anyone in the FO spoke up, Lou prolly just stepped in and said this is Mike's team and hes going to run it the way he wants.

With Dubas in charge now I dont think Mike is going to be able to do off the wall things especially if theres strong statistical evidence its actually sub optimal (playing Komarov on that second line).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig