Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Vegas probably deserved a better fate in the first period. lol Neal

I think this is going 7. Vegas is too good to lose this quickly.

They are not that good with this version of MAF. He regressed big time. He almost single handily lost game one. It could have been sweep by now if not for miracle of forth line we all witnessed in that game. But c’mon how often your forth line comes up with three goals in a series let alone in one game?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
They are not that good with this version of MAF. He regressed big time. He almost single handily lost game one. It could have been sweep by now if not for miracle of forth line we all witnessed in that game. But c’mon how often your forth line comes up with three goals in a series let alone in one game?

Yep.

Fleury came into the Final with a 1.68 goals-against average and a .947 save percentage.

He's at 4.08 GAA and .845 SV% in this series.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Caps' top 5 skaters are better than any VGK and have been their best players. Their foot soldiers are also outplaying Vegas' foot soldiers. Can't see the Knights coming back from this hole unless Fleury stands on his head again. Only 1 team has come back from down 3-1 in a SC final and that was in 1942.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I said Jets-Capitals final, with Caps winning it due to experience

Perhaps got half of it right.

Holtby is playing well, but he isn't facing the same line-up as Fleury is.

Capitals top players are the best players in the series and Vegas top players aren't getting any breaks.

Knights top 2 players have less than 300 games each and are facing their biggest challenge of their careers, Capitals best players include Kuznetsov with over 300 and then major veterans Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie ...

However, as unlikely as it seems now, Vegas has been in these games just haven't finished their opportunities.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
This series has come down to special teams. Vegas' success thus far is predicated on the fact that they have stayed out of the box, and when they do get into penalty trouble, the teams they have beat are not as strong as Washington on the PP. You give Washington 7 or 8 PP a game and you are going to lose. Plus, the Golden Knights bread and butter is even strength. They don't have the firepower to have a good PP. I really wish the refs would just let them play like they did in game one, but it appears that the zebras are calling a lot more now. That plays massively to Washington's advantage.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Fingers crossed that the Caps finish them off. Vegas has had an unbelievable run, but enough is enough.

Some of us have been asking where do the VGK go next year?

I think their future is bright, and they have a 27 picks over the next 3 years, but was this just an extraordinarily long Cinderella story that is coming up on midnight?

I noted their defense before and said compare it to the Leafs. It just doesn't seem to add up. How long can you play with a chip on your shoulder, including the goaltenders, before the flame burns out?

I thought the Jets would beat them. I thought the Jets could play them more physically, but the Jets didn't have it. Now the Jets have some key players who haven't been there, and perhaps that was the difference.

I'm not sure this is over though. The Capitals have (sorry) capitalized on their opportunities, whereas the Golden Knights have not.

If the Golden Knights gets their luck back (earned luck) things could turn quickly.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Vegas played pretty well in game 2. The difference was Holtby with the save of the playoffs (year). They were also some bounces away from completely dominating the first period last night; a few missed open nets along with 2 posts.

Still have a feeling that it will go 7

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lou Lam has begun cleaning house, Weight and Snow fired.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Caps are just looking so dominant, and alas Fluery’s luck seems to have fun out.

Some fun storylines this playoffs to say the least

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yep.

Fleury came into the Final with a 1.68 goals-against average and a .947 save percentage.

He's at 4.08 GAA and .845 SV% in this series.

Passes across to _______, one timer, goaaaal!

Rinse repeat. They are exploiting a weakness to perfection.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully egocock is watching Washington, see what happens when you load a PP? Play your stars together dumbo!
Dude the day Babcock loads our PP the way he should is the day I stop bitching about him attaching Hyman to Matthews’ hip at even strength.

Nylander - Matthews - Kadri
Reilly - Marner

How can anyone even screw that up?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I always sorta enjoyed Ovie getting knocked out of the playoffs by Sid or whoever and found it kinda amusing, but I have no problem with a first ballot hall-of-gamer getting a chance to win the cup.

I hated Ray Bourque and Stevie Yzerman, but I was happy to see them win a cup after so many said they never would. They deserved it.

Ovie has been the best goal scorer of his generation, bar none. His highlight reel is ridiculous, he’s developed into a “likeable” guy with a good sense of humour and has done a lot for charities and sick kids. I’ll be ok with him hoisting the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad