Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am pretty sure the "fun" is the hockey game. It's not like if they scrapped these pregame theatrics that I would stop watching. I just want to watch the game which if fun by itself without anything extra added to it.

I like it. It’s really well done and entertaining in person. They have live entertainment going on all game and not just video graphics like so many arenas do.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Colin Miller is quite the diver...dove on Oshie's crosscheck and dove on Eller's hook.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Vegas has realized that sports should be about entertainment first and foremost

okay. i know what the person said when i asked this before (like the going live should be seen as event, worth the price of a ticket yadayaday, and i agree with that).
but the point (and focus) should be the game.
not the hoopla around it.

and hockey is pretty damned entertaining. you shouldn't need a circus event either.
like this is the 2nd time you've said this. the pre-game show is not sport. it's a show
the sport is entertaining.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
okay. i know what the person said when i asked this before (like the going live should be seen as event, worth the price of a ticket yadayaday, and i agree with that).

and hockey is pretty damned entertaining. you shouldn't need a circus event either.
like this is the 2nd time you've said this. the pre-game show is not sport. it's a show

As is the show.

Should every team scrap the scoreboard entertainment, too.
Should College sports team scrap their pregame band performances?

Reactions: Menzinger

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
As is the show.

Should every team scrap the scoreboard entertainment, too.
Should College sports team scrap their pregame band performances?

look. you like, what you like. i don't give you grief for that.
i don't like it (and i've been to a lot of games). i personally don't think it's needed

people are acting like Vegas is the only one who ever does 'entertainment.' that's not true. all i'm saying is, the point of going to a hockey game, should be to see the hockey game. you shouldn't need "a show'" on top of it. i'm just saying people who feel that way shouldn't be all "hot take: i hate fun'ed" at , or have to defend themselves that they don't like the pre-game shenanigans. i don't care about it, so i don't tune in. I'm not riding people for liking it either - i saw the one for game one and I thought it was well done, I never said once, it wasn't.

i know in the US bands etc have been there forever, when I played in university, you just showed up and played. if you all need that to enjoy the hockey game better, then okay then. i don't get why you do but if that's what floats your boat, okie doke.

all i said to at Mezsinger is that he said that sports is about entertainment.
my counter is - sports is entertaining. what y'all are talking about is the show, and you don't need a show to make the sport more entertaining. you literally could cut that out and still have the main event and it would be entertaining.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
look. you like, what you like. i don't give you grief for that.
i don't like it (and i've been to a lot of games). i personally don't think it's needed

people are acting like Vegas is the only one who ever does 'entertainment.' that's not true. all i'm saying is, the point of going to a hockey game, should be to see the hockey game. you shouldn't need "a show'" on top of it. i'm just saying people who feel that way shouldn't be all "hot take: i hate fun'ed" at , or have to defend themselves that they don't like the pre-game shenanigans. i don't care about it, so i don't tune in. I'm not riding people for liking it either - i saw the one for game one and I thought it was well done, I never said once, it wasn't.

i know in the US bands etc have been there forever, when I played in university, you just showed up and played. if you all need that to enjoy the hockey game better, then okay then. i don't get why you do but if that's what floats your boat, okie doke.

all i said to at Mezsinger is that he said that sports is about entertainment.
my counter is - sports is entertaining. what y'all are talking about is the show, and you don't need a show to make the sport more entertaining. you literally could cut that out and still have the main event and it would be entertaining.

If you want people to go to games you need more than just the hockey game, especially in the NHLs largest market, the US. Basketball realised this and have upped their half-time shows and Tv timeouts.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Hey I get that - I’m a hockey fan first and foremost before I’m an NHL fan. I’m perfectly happy watching a group of no-named high school kids play. I watch as much hockey as I can live and on TV/streaming.

But there’s no denying that the NHL lags behind other leagues when it comes to the “entertainment factor”. Go see other sports live and it becomes an experience beyond the game itself. Until the NHL catches up it will lag behind in popularity l, which I think is a shame because I think hockey is the greatest sport and should be beloved by everyone.

This goes beyond just pregame stuff too, it touches on the fact that hockey culture seems to hate any sort of individualistic personality. It stops fun narrative/storyline some developing in the league.

Edit: The most fun I’ve ever had live at a hockey game has been NCAA games, you get the students singing chants at the top of their longs the whole game you have the marching band playing, it’s just so much fun.

Edit 2: typos

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
IMO the sport is the entertainment. The pregame nonsense is just that.

The game itself is entertainment for me as well. But that view imo is also why hockey tends to lag behind in terms of popularity, and the sports inability to reach a wider audience beyond its diehard fans.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hey I get that - I’m a hockey fan first and foremost before I’m an NHL fan. I’m perfectly happy watching a group of no-named high school kids play. I watch as much hockey as I can live and on TV/streaming.

But there’s no denying that the NHL lags behind other leagues when it comes
To the “entertainment factor”. Go see other sports live and it becomes an experience beyond the game itself. Until the NHL catches up it will lag behind in popularity l, which I think is a shame because I think hockeybis the greatest sport and should be beloved by everyone.

This goes beyond just pregame stuff to it touches on the fact that hockey culture seems to hate any sort of individualistic personality. It stops fun narrative/storyline some developing in the league.

Edit: The most fun I’ve ever had live at a hockey game has been NCAA games, you get the students singing chance at the top of their longs the whole game you have the marching band playing, it’s just so much fun.

This. I don’t care at all about football and went to see a lions game in Detroit. I had a great time and I couldn’t even tell you a player on either team.

The fact is, people pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars to go to a game. There are no gaurantees in sports. But at least if the show is entertaining you get something out of it. Regardless of the outcome.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
This. I don’t care at all about football and went to see a lions game in Detroit. I had a great time and I couldn’t even tell you a player on either team.

The fact is, people pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars to go to a game. There are no gaurantees in sports. But at least if the show is entertaining you get something out of it. Regardless of the outcome.

like i said, i actually forgot that aspect because i don't go to sporting events that much so yah i get it - but even then that's not why i go. (but i've also admitted i am a v. old cranky soul haha)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

But there’s no denying that the NHL lags behind other leagues when it comes to the “entertainment factor”. Go see other sports live and it becomes an experience beyond the game itself. Until the NHL catches up it will lag behind in popularity l, which I think is a shame because I think hockey is the greatest sport and should be beloved by everyone.

This goes beyond just pregame stuff too, it touches on the fact that hockey culture seems to hate any sort of individualistic personality. It stops fun narrative/storyline some developing in the league.

Edit: The most fun I’ve ever had live at a hockey game has been NCAA games, you get the students singing chants at the top of their longs the whole game you have the marching band playing, it’s just so much fun.

Edit 2: typos

lol but i like your typos! :D
okay that's fair.

i get what you mean now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad