Around the League 42: Life, the Universe, and Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
was probably the only way to get AM to sell unfortunately. There's no way in hell the owners will actually approve him being the next owner of the team though IMO, and I wouldn't be surprised if they already had something set up for someone else to be a competing bid for the property out by Scottsdale for an arena district to be the new owner.
Maybe he will turn into the arena authority lol

• Haha
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It what it is but the league is going to regret leaving Phoenix for Salt Lake City in time. Sadly the factors that made it happen probably won't be solved anytime soon it seems, but like Atlanta and Houston, the market is too big to simply ignore forever.

This is still head scratching to me why the NHL thinks this a good scenario. Add in there’s no sports gambling which is a big loss of potential revenue.

That building is not NHL viable, temporary for a season or two sure, but they better have shovels in the ground sooner than later.

Edit: I just saw they want to "renovate" the existing place, good lord. Tillman Fertitta in Houston really dropped the ball here.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
It what it is but the league is going to regret leaving Phoenix for Salt Lake City in time. Sadly the factors that made it happen probably won't be solved anytime soon it seems, but like Atlanta and Houston, the market is too big to simply ignore forever.

That building is not NHL viable, temporary for a season or two sure, but they better have shovels in the ground sooner than later.
Sounds like Barclays arena all over again. But you’d think there’d be a more sure fire market that they could have moved Arizona to.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

This is still head scratching to me why the NHL thinks this a good scenario. Add in there’s no sports gambling which is a big loss of potential revenue.

I don't think the league is at all concerned about the gambling aspect of things in that it's not HRR.

The arena setup, on the other hand, will likely be Barclays Center level concerning. I think they're absolutely banking on getting the '34 winter games and building a new arena ahead of time that the team will be based out of.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Sounds like Barclays arena all over again. But you’d think there’d be a more sure fire market that they could have moved Arizona to.

Yup.

Fertitta in Houston really dropped the ball here. Houston can handle having the Rockets/NHL (plus the other leagues/NCAA) no problem. Toyota Center to my knowledge was built with NHL in mind too, Houston also has a good history of the game despite never having NHL. Plus, although "rivalries" are better when it's a situation like Red Wings vs Avalanche, you can bet Houston vs Dallas Stars would be great. Texans love their in-state rivalries, pro and college.

I'm not convinced Salt Lake City will work long-term. If it does, then I see the NBAs Jazz taking a hit. Whoever "sucks" isn't going to be drawing the same high dollars from consumers for whoever doesn't. But Smith seems convinced, and that will be his problem to solve.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yup.

Fertitta in Houston really dropped the ball here. Houston can handle having the Rockets/NHL (plus the other leagues/NCAA) no problem. Toyota Center to my knowledge was built with NHL in mind too, Houston also has a good history of the game despite never having NHL. Plus, although "rivalries" are better when it's a situation like Red Wings vs Avalanche, you can bet Houston vs Dallas Stars would be great. Texans love their in-state rivalries, pro and college.

I'm not convinced Salt Lake City will work long-term. If it does, then I see the NBAs Jazz taking a hit. Whoever "sucks" isn't going to be drawing the same high dollars from consumers for whoever doesn't. But Smith seems convinced, and that will be his problem to solve.
The SLC market itself isn't an issue. They're very "winter sports" oriented in that area and it will carry over pretty well to the hockey team (at least IMO). That said, 100% in agreement with you about Fertitta, he played this terribly. The NHL knew for a LONG time that he had interest in buying a team, and he prettymuch tried to nickel and dime the league in terms of acquiring the Yotes, and in the process allowed Smith to easily jump him when Smith came out with the intentions of playing this like an expansion franchise.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
they have 900 million for renovations already ready, plus with the 2034 winter olympics, its temporary, on the flip side, its 12k unobstructed and 14k with viewing issues and the ends of the ice.
that is fine but they don’t have a good roster, they won’t attract FAs as well, and it will be hard for them to keep up with 14k seats.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
20240418_162137.jpg

I vote this

Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Utah has already been a good hockey market and this is going to work out just fine. They don’t need the very best possible markets to be successful. If this arena doesn’t work they’ll build a new one. It says a new arena is on the table, they’re just going to do this for now and see how it goes.

There’s zero reason to think this won’t work as a location. If the ownership is strong they’ll make it work, and as @DaveG said it’s a great winter sport state. I’d rather ski there than Colorado.

Unfortunately, I think those other markets will get an expansion team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad