Around the League 4 - y u do dis ekano?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Drouin is just following his agent, for better or for worse. I dont think he thinks he's above the ahl.

We'd be dumb not to look at him.

I guess it depends what it costs. As I said, he may be a fantastic player down the road, but he may end up being one of many head cases that never make it. If he was tearing it up right now, that would be a different case, but it's a risk/reward scenario for sure.

I think it's strictly academic though as I don't think RF is looking at him and that's all that counts.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
With Drouin, those kids aren't rich yet. The difference between AHL and NHL is 900k vs. 70k. And I would guess if you get hurt in the minors, you get your minor league money?

So set aside all the honor and pouting and whatever, he's risking 450k this year to play a couple games on the cheap for his soon to be former teams minor league franchise.

From solely a financial perspective, what he's doing seems like common sense. If you add in that they seem to think Tampa is trying to punish him, the obligation you feel for your soon to be former teams minor league franchise becomes even smaller.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
With Drouin, those kids aren't rich yet. The difference between AHL and NHL is 900k vs. 70k. And I would guess if you get hurt in the minors, you get your minor league money?

So set aside all the honor and pouting and whatever, he's risking 450k this year to play a couple games on the cheap for his soon to be former teams minor league franchise.

From solely a financial perspective, what he's doing seems like common sense. If you add in that they seem to think Tampa is trying to punish him, the obligation you feel for your soon to be former teams minor league franchise becomes even smaller.

That could be the case, but I suspect that it is more the agent trying to force the hand of TB and get this over with sooner, rather than later. It's a business, so I understand it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I love all the main board posters blathering on about how this kids value has plummeted. I wish. All the other gm's know its the agent pushing buttons, and know yzerman isn't changing his asking price. Not right now anyways. Maybe next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I love all the main board posters blathering on about how this kids value has plummeted. I wish. All the other gm's know its the agent pushing buttons, and know yzerman isn't changing his asking price. Not right now anyways. Maybe next season.

yeah, I'm with you there bleed. They said the same things when St. Louis wanted to be traded and only gave 1 team as his destination, and look at the return he got. Drouin is under contract for another year, is down in the AHL, and an RFA after next year. Yzerman still holds a ton of leverage here and can wait for the right deal.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Sportsnet said that Canes might be interested. Yzerman press conference in 2 minutes (10:45)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Sportsnet said that Canes might be interested. Yzerman press conference in 2 minutes (10:45)

After further thought, they should be interested. I'm not convinced that Drouin doesn't have some issues, but in fairness, I only get to see what little is available to the public eye. I have confidence that if the Canes have interest, RF will do due diligence, talk to a lot more people than we have access to and make a rational assessment.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London

It will be interesting how much he will be traded for. I don't know what I would expect him to get and it seems that a lot of the hockeyworld doesn't know either. Saw some stupid segment on Sportsnet last night where one of the blockheads was arguing that Montreal should trade Galchenyuk for him, or at least that's the gist of what I got from it.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The thing about this situation is that the lightning don't need him or his potential return right now. If they wanted to be spiteful they could put this kid on a shelf for the remainder of his contract. It would be bad asset management, but hopefully it would teach these kids that icetime is distributed on merit and hard work is your path to the NHL, not trying to cherry pick where you land so you play immediately.

There's a saying in minor league baseball. "Don't like it? Play better." Any time you hear a guy in the minors complaining about the conditions, that's the stock line.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
After further thought, they should be interested. I'm not convinced that Drouin doesn't have some issues, but in fairness, I only get to see what little is available to the public eye. I have confidence that if the Canes have interest, RF will do due diligence, talk to a lot more people than we have access to and make a rational assessment.

I'd still give up a package of two of Pesce, LA 1st, and/or Murphy for him. His raw skill is undeniable and a playmaking top-6 wingers are fairly rare. Those are expendable assets for the Canes IMO, I'd trade two in for a lottery ticket in an area of need.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd still give up a package of two of Pesce, LA 1st, and/or Murphy for him. His raw skill is undeniable and a playmaking top-6 wingers are fairly rare. Those are expendable assets for the Canes IMO, I'd trade two in for a lottery ticket in an area of need.

At this point Pesce is a significantly more valuable asset than either the LA 1st or Murphy, and I am not sure we get Drouin for the LA 1st + Murphy (though I would do it in a heartbeat).

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
At this point Pesce is a significantly more valuable asset than either the LA 1st or Murphy, and I am not sure we get Drouin for the LA 1st + Murphy (though I would do it in a heartbeat).

Read:

Pesce + LA 1st
or
Pesce + Murphy

I think Pesce is what would ultimately get the deal done. Maybe even 1-for-1 at this point. Tampa needs an affordable, solid, proven young RD who can log minutes in all situations. Just depends on if Tampa has been following the Canes closely enough to be high on Pesce.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'd love to grab Drouin and would part with Pesce, but I think Pesce + 1st is too much to pay, and anything less wouldn't get him.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Was it here where I read that Walsh told Sekera not to resign here. Not sure we want any of Walsh's guys, he sounds like a pain in the ass.

But when I heard Drouin wanted a trade I was immediately interested. I think the kid does have skill and we have the ability to give him top 6 minutes and allow him to show off that skill.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Was it here where I read that Walsh told Sekera not to resign here. Not sure we want any of Walsh's guys, he sounds like a pain in the ass.

Not quite. I heard from a guy (who may or may not be reputable so take it for what it's worth) who told me he used to intern at Octogon and said Walsh steers his clients way from Carolina and he (the guy, not Walsh) suggested that Sekera wouldn't sign here because of this. This was in the off season between Sekera's 1st and 2nd season here.

I barely knew the guy though, so he could have just been feeding me a line of ******** so I took it with a big grain of salt. I just think Sekera knew this was a short term stop, played himself into a big payday and went out and got it. Can't say I blame him. Also, we have a different GM now, so whatever relationships existed between Walsh and JR are irrelevant now.

There's no "avoiding" him though as his firm represents a LOT of NHL players. Lindholm and Nestrasil for instance both use him.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Well, Sekera got 6yrs 33 million from Edmonton. So not signing here was a pretty good move.

A Fleury for Drouin centered trade makes sense needs-wise for both team.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And in fairness, in years past, if I was an agent, I would have steered clients away from Carolina as well.

Competitive team? Nope
Likely to make playoffs? Nope
Owner likes to spend? Nope
Good market for making endorsements? Nope
Lots of publicity? Nope
History of attracting UFAs? Nope

The only way the Canes will start becoming a destination for both players (and agents wanting their players to go there) is to start winning and start showing there is a bright future here. If Ronnie builds it, they will come.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
And in fairness, in years past, if I was an agent, I would have steered clients away from Carolina as well.

Competitive team? Nope
Likely to make playoffs? Nope
Owner likes to spend? Nope
Good market for making endorsements? Nope
Lots of publicity? Nope
History of attracting UFAs? Nope

The only way the Canes will start becoming a destination for both players (and agents wanting their players to go there) is to start winning and start showing there is a bright future here. If Ronnie builds it, they will come.

Lack clearly disagrees

QIIinDa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad