Around the League 4 - y u do dis ekano?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
What the hell was he thinking? The kid wasn't fighting him or anything, yet he's spinning and throwing him around, then sucker punches him. Good on that trainer, too bad the ref saw and avoided what would have been an awesome Goldberg spear.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
What the hell was he thinking? The kid wasn't fighting him or anything, yet he's spinning and throwing him around, then sucker punches him. Good on that trainer, too bad the ref saw and avoided what would have been an awesome Goldberg spear.

To be fair, we don't see what's going on at the bottom of the pile. But, absolutely, linesman has no business hitting a player.

But the trainer has no business doing THAT either.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, the linesman should have just let it go no matter what happened. If you watch it closely though, the player (73) was a punk as well. Cheap shot on the goalie, trying to hit a guy while the linesman held him down, etc...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Oh sweet baby jeebus how many times I wished I punched a kid dead in the face.

To be honest I'd like to see a side angle there, it didn't look like he hit him very hard. The shove seemed to have knocked the kid over. That's a tough angle to judge the blows there.

And while I get why we applaud the trainer, he should be banned permanently from the rink and his league. The linesman will I assume have to stick to his day job as well. Hopefully he's better at it.

I didn't realize the kid that hit the goalie and started the fight was the guy the ref hit. He's a dbag. Not that the linesman can justify it. The kid deserved his shots. Looks like the original player that took him on landed a haymaker! Maybe why the kid looks woozy and went down easy.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
That would probably be a little overboard, but until you reffed.....

Yep. I reffed from age 14-20 and it runs the gamut on what you experience. Hockey coaches and parents can be absolutely inhuman sometimes. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

My two most memorable experiences were:

1) stopping an Atom (maybe ages 9/10) game mid-play to turn around to the bench and give an unsportsmanlike penalty to the coach - who was also my next door neighbor.

2) having to handle a bench-clearing brawl between two teams, one of which was guys from my high school and most of whom were my good friends (while we were the same grade, I was 1 year behind in hockey because I skipped the 2nd grade). I was a last-minute replacement linesman because the other guy was sick or something. Probably shouldn't have a 15 year old reffing 16/17 year olds.

That brawl was amazing. One of my best friends had been kicked out of the game earlier, and came back on the ice in street clothes. I was basically pleading with him "Bryan could you please just get off the ice....."

I'll never forget the image of another guy kicking the helmet of a guy who was lying on the ice. Kicking him in the head. Truly amazing.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Youth sports: giving kids all the life tools they need to become sociopaths.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yep. I reffed from age 14-20 and it runs the gamut on what you experience. Hockey coaches and parents can be absolutely inhuman sometimes. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

My two most memorable experiences were:

1) stopping an Atom (maybe ages 9/10) game mid-play to turn around to the bench and give an unsportsmanlike penalty to the coach - who was also my next door neighbor.

2) having to handle a bench-clearing brawl between two teams, one of which was guys from my high school and most of whom were my good friends (while we were the same grade, I was 1 year behind in hockey because I skipped the 2nd grade). I was a last-minute replacement linesman because the other guy was sick or something. Probably shouldn't have a 15 year old reffing 16/17 year olds.

That brawl was amazing. One of my best friends had been kicked out of the game earlier, and came back on the ice in street clothes. I was basically pleading with him "Bryan could you please just get off the ice....."

I'll never forget the image of another guy kicking the helmet of a guy who was lying on the ice. Kicking him in the head. Truly amazing.

Good times.

As a paramedic I get asked occasionally what was my best life experience that helped me prepare for a life in EMS. My honest answer is "hockey ref". Ive had change thrown at me during game play, had a kid get suspended for a year for intentionally using his stick to slew foot me (another coach videotaped it and turned in the tape, I didn't know what had happened - my partner tossed him), had a car gun it and try to run me over as I walked by in the parking lot, more parents than I can even count try to fight me right in front of their kid. All the emotion I see every day at work frequently parallels and at times is overshadowed by all the emotion I saw on a daily basis at the rink. As a medic you'd be shocked at how often I am hated and unwanted, and have insults/vulgarities/spit thrown in my direction. I was already completely used to it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Probably my favorite when coaching was during a Pee-Wee tournament, two Moms got into it in the stands to the point where the police had to be called. :laugh: This was in down here.

In a men's league I played in (not in Raleigh), I also saw a guy go up into the stands an punch the mother of a player of the opposing team.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So it looks like Drouin gets suspended for not showing up at an AHL game tonight. He may turn out to be a fantastic player down the road, but I don't think I'd touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not sure where these guys get this sense of entitlement, especially with his recent lack of production. Only going to delay the process as trade value just went even lower while Yzerman still has sky high expectations for a return on him.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Drouin is either acting like a baby, or taking bad advice from his agent. He'll likely get dealt, but hopefully not here.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm sure he gets it from his agent (although I'm not excusing Drouin because he owns his choices so he's equally to blame). Walsh is looking at a guy that he thought would be a superstar in this league and rake in huge money for him. That's not happening, so he's now using a nuclear approach. I doubt he gives a rats ass about Drouin, but only cares about the % of contracts he might get.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Wow. Mike Milbury on NHL Tonight basically just said that fighting no longer has a place in the game.

When you've lost Mike Milbury, who's left?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd still be looking at Drouin personally. I don't like what he's doing, and there'd obviously be risks, but I'd still try to get him. I get all the negatives with him, but it's not impossible to say that he can grow out of it. I'll take a chance with him and his baggage rather than some of the talentless character players we trot out there on offense on a regular basis. Of course it still depends on the price, but I'd still give valuable pieces for him even with the way things have gone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad