Around the League - 2023 playoffs edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Isn’t Lavi your typical “veterans” coach though? He rides his workhorses.

I thought the NYR were desperate to develop the young guys. I don’t see that happening with Lavi.

i dont get the hate that people have for him. the team isn't old but its not young either he should be able to squeeze the most out of the vets on the team and i dunno about laf or kako but maybe a change of scenery is what they need. who else would people have expected them to hire? a coach has to be willing to go there too.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
i dont get the hate that people have for him. the team isn't old but its not young either he should be able to squeeze the most out of the vets on the team and i dunno about laf or kako but maybe a change of scenery is what they need. who else would people have expected them to hire? a coach has to be willing to go there too.

They are an old team.

Four of their top five scorers are 30 or older (Fox)

NY’s path to a cup is for Kakko and Lafreniere to break out while the old vets are still effective. They have maybe one or two seasons before time runs out on that.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They are an old team.

NY’s path to a cup is for Kakko and Lafreniere to break out while the old vets are still effective. They have maybe one or two seasons before time runs out on that.

I still wouldn't call them old - yes all their top scorers are around the same age and that age is 'generally past their prime', but the oldest one is Kreider at 32.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think a lot of people are just tired of the usual retread carousel most of the league is still stuck in. Personally I'm fine with the Rangers hiring him because I don't think their results are going to be any better than under Gallant. Laviolette, at least to me, is in the same middling category most coaches are (including our very own Lindy Ruff). There are very few truly great or truly awful coaches in this league.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
They are an old team.

i would say an older team but still if the cup chances hinge on laf and kak to carry them there then forget it. might just be that the kids aren't worth their draft position and no matter what coach is brought in will change that. with a vet team like you think they are i think its better to bring in a vet coach then some outside the box no name

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

i'm no legal expert here i failed out of American Samoa prestigious law program. how much would they be on the hook $$$$ if they just came out and said no duh getting hit on the head constantly causes brain damage. i feel really bad for the guys back in the day who we as a society didn't really know better but since i'd say around 2010 i feel less bad everyone by then knows the risks

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i'm no legal expert here i failed out of American Samoa prestigious law program. how much would they be on the hook $$$$ if they just came out and said no duh getting hit on the head constantly causes brain damage. i feel really bad for the guys back in the day who we as a society didn't really know better but since i'd say around 2010 i feel less bad everyone by then knows the risks
If they had no medical proof the league is probably ok. The issue is if they were warned by doctors and buried it. These diagnoses are all well after thr playing careers and unless they knew back then about it they probably wouldn’t be held to the standard of having to do anything although the specifics of the jurisdictions this oukd play out in might differ as well. The reality would seem to be that the risk of concussions was obvious to the players also. It’s messy and my bigger concern is what do you do with the fact that concussions are unavoidable as the game is presently refereed and ruled. The league and NHLPA can actually care about player safety which would help but it won’t eliminate the problem.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Arizona prospect Artyom Duda is joining Maine next season. Interesting in that he played 14 games in the KHL and typically the NCAA wouldn't allow a professional to be have eligibility; They had previously barred a handful of guys who briefly played in the CHL.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
In general I feel like the league has taken concussions seriously since that devastating summer (2011) where Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak died but their approach has been confused and unclear, I guess what happens when you're trying to thread the needle and not alienate your hardcore fans in a game where violence is traditionally so fused to its DNA and avoid being liable for millions of dollars in damages. Basically they tried very hard to eliminate hits to the head from the game, and it's nearly impossible to do that entirely but they're trying.

The league really lucked out though in that analytics basically have shown enforcers to be nearly useless in terms of winning games. After that summer I really thought fighting would have been banned by 2023. It is inevitable though, can't believe it's not happened yet.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
hits to the head are always going to happen not just from hits but crashing into the boards unintended knees to the head or hitting your head on the ice. so like that tweet what do people want done? i agree i think in the old days the "get back out there shake it off" when you had your head knocked around was wrong but thats after the fact. so should the league come out and admit what we all know now that constant hits to the head is dangerous and proceed at your own risk? sign a waiver? people are still going to sign up and play the game knowing the risks

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Arizona prospect Artyom Duda is joining Maine next season. Interesting in that he played 14 games in the KHL and typically the NCAA wouldn't allow a professional to be have eligibility; They had previously barred a handful of guys who briefly played in the CHL.

The CHL is treated wildly differently than the European pro leagues.

And it’s obvious why, the CHL is direct competition for talent while they don’t care what guys do it Europe.

So if you play part of ONE exhibition CHL game, you can lose your NCAA eligibility forever. (This happened to a goalie.)

You play in professional European leagues, well, the NCAA will work with you. He probably has to sit out for some games or some nonsense.

I believe the rules are different for hockey than any other sport, which are based on payment, so they can f*** players over for playing 1 minute in a CHL game with no renumeration. It’s a f***ing joke.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i wonder how happy nolan patrick is knowing that he will be getting a cup ring
90f.png

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
His name wont be on the cup though as he doesnt even come close to qualifying.

And him even getting a ring does not seem very likely either.

hell no on the cup, he's not like konstantinov who got not only a ring but also his name on the cup after his career ended due to the car crash and never played another game when the wings repeated thats for sure....

but it depends on their specific team policy whether he'll get one....i'm betting that he will

....and then there's the pen's oprah ring giveaway :scared:

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
hell no on the cup, he's not like konstantinov who got not only a ring but also his name on the cup after his career ended due to the car crash and never played another game when the wings repeated thats for sure....

but it depends on their specific team policy whether he'll get one....i'm betting that he will

....and then there's the pen's oprah ring giveaway :scared:

The way they were passing the cup around to everyone on the ice I bet he gets a ring. Who really cares though?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Didn’t Stefan matuea get a ring playing 1 game for the avs
The qualifications for getting a ring is basically determined by the organization. Coaches, trainers, broadcasters, etc get them

However getting etched on the cup you need to play in one Stanley cup final game or 41 regular season games with the winning team without your name won’t be on the cup unless it’s an extenuating circumstance which needs to be petitioned to the league

A guy I went to high school with was with the blues and was the digital media coordinator and ended up getting a ring when they won it

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

I think a lot of people are just tired of the usual retread carousel most of the league is still stuck in. Personally I'm fine with the Rangers hiring him because I don't think their results are going to be any better than under Gallant. Laviolette, at least to me, is in the same middling category most coaches are (including our very own Lindy Ruff). There are very few truly great or truly awful coaches in this league.
They had great results under Gallant, that’s the absurd thing here . A hundred and what points two seasons straight? Conference final last year.

The only thing Laviolette can do better is for them to go deeper in the playoffs and that’s so contingent on other things - match ups, who’s hot and cold, injuries, bounces, your goalie - that being coached by Lavy instead of Gallant is a meaningless change there. What more can Laviolette really do?

Someone demanded a scalp because we beat them - probably Dolan - and they’ve substituted Tweedledum for Tweedledee. They’re hoping to calm down the press and fans too I suppose. These two coach’s are about as close to one another as you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad