Around the League - 2023/24

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
You've been to ALL 7,986 Canadian cities ?

Wow, I don't know if that's more impressive or the fact that wipaneg is the ugliest of all of them.

They know he's not granato and that's all they care about - much like when we got rid of his unqualified dildo brother.
If you don’t have an airport you don’t count.
Judging by your response all I have to say is I’m sorry my dude you deserved better.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
If Utah was smart they'd just buy the name "Grizzlies" from the ECHL franchise and let them relocate/rebrand elsewhere.

That's a very underwhelming list. Two of those names are literally lacrosse teams in Colorado. :laugh:
There is only one Grizzlies

IMG_6547.jpeg

F*** you Memphis

Go Nuggets! Big thank you for making me forget about this team 99.9% of the time and actually enjoy basketball again

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol f***ing Lindy Ruff. Might as well bring back Ted Nolan you f***ing geriatric retreads.

It's easy to make fun but IMO that was a good move on their part. Lindy got JOBBED by Fitzgerald's gross incompetence this year. If anyone will finally get that team in Buffalo to play with any sort of discipline, it'll be him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is only one Grizzlies

View attachment 858866
F*** you Memphis

Go Nuggets! Big thank you for making me forget about this team 99.9% of the time and actually enjoy basketball again
The Denver/Utah Grizzlies existed before the doomed franchise in Vancouver.

If nothing else the short, sad stint of that franchise just showed me how utterly stupid a lot of NBA players are. So many of them were bitching about the nightlife there when Vancouver's scene is one of the better ones in North America. WAY better than f***ing Indiana, Sacramento, or Oklahoma effin' City, I can guarantee you that.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Just go with Utah Hockey Club as a permanent name. It would be unique in the big-4 NA sports, and would piss every single hockey fan off. "This is not soccaaah!"

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We haven't seen the bracket released yet... and you know when fans vote, that shit is gonna be cringe.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
16 coaching changes this season now. You can't tell me THAT is normal. That's half the damned league. Though really, none were all that shocking IIRC.
Firing of David Quinn today is not shocking but it just screams: why? What is the point?

David Quinn is not that good of a coach, sure. But that roster sucks balls, and will continue to suck balls next season. And the season after that. What are you trying to achieve doing this change?

And firing a coach is always a bullet by a GM. And GMs don't usually have too many of those bullets. Mike Grier has been a pretty bad GM in my opinion, he botched the Karlsson and Hertl trades. Especially the Hertl trade.

The only justified reason to fire Quinn, is if there was 100% negative feedback coming from the players in exit interviews. And not just like "I don't think he's a good coach for us", but "I want that coach gone, he's bad for the room". And Quinn doesn't really seem that type for me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
16 coaching changes this season now. You can't tell me THAT is normal. That's half the damned league. Though really, none were all that shocking IIRC
A little deceiving on the timing included in that tweet as it includes two offseasons. Here are the changes by season recently:

22-23: 12
21-22: 13
20-21: 9
19-20: 16
18-19: 13

This offseason changes, I think, are at 6 right now with San Jose, St Louis, Ottawa, New Jersey, LA, and Buffalo. That's right about the norm. Last Summer was 6. 22 was 11 (pent up Covid firings for sure). 21 was 6. 20 was 6. The 2-3 more that are likely to happen probably pushes to the upper side of changes, though not unheard of (~3 times a decade).

The shelf life of coaches in the NHL is very finite. Most don't make it past 3 years, only a few make it past 5. The ones that get past 5 typically have won a Cup or had major success and are on the way to winning a Cup.

When Hakstol and Keefe are fired this summer, Martin St Louis will be the 5th most tenured coach in the NHL. That's kinda mind blowing.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mike Grier has been a pretty bad GM in my opinion, he botched the Karlsson and Hertl trades. Especially the Hertl trade.
People don't realize how hard it is to get rid of old players with sky high AAV, full NMC and still signed long term. These players are on the decline and cap space is very valuable.

The fact that the Sharks managed to find someone to take EK and only retain 10% is a huge win.

Then Grier traded Hertl with his awful, awful contract and two 3rd picks for a 1st. Only 17% retention??

Who cares if they no longer have any retention slot, those contracts are gone so they can rebuild properly. That's A+ GM'ing in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad