Around the League - 2023/24

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
While any team can beat us (as seen last year), I have preferences.

The biggest threats, in order:

1- Vegas: By far the worst style against us. When they play that 3-guys-on-the-puck-at-all-time strategy the Avs' game plan completely fall apart and Bednar has been unable to adjust to that style so far. If there's a team to take advantage of our smaller defense it's them. They also have tons of playoff experience, I'd rather not face Vegas at all.

2- Stars: They have depth too and also play a style that could cause problems.

3- Jets: They have a goalie that can steal a series.

4- Preds: Weakest link in the west. If they beat us we weren't winning the cup anyway.
The masochist in me wants Vegas. I want revenge for 2021.

If I was a betting man, I would have Vegas moving into the top 3 in the Pacific while LA falls out and we get Colorado/Vegas in the WCF.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Rather not face Vegas. They're not the same team at the moment that they will be when the playoffs start. Their style of play can be a problem for us.

Saying that I believe we will beat any of these teams in the first round. In fact I don't think we're really facing a great opponent before the finals. I'm feeling cocky after the deadline.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I dont fear any other team in the west (but i respect them!) You want to win the cup, you have to beat everyone standing in your way.

I dont care if its Vegas in Round 1.

The way the AVS are playing since the Deadline and the chemistry which is coming more and more, every other team in the west should be afraid to face us.

Or in the words of Darryl Sutter :D:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
There’s pretty much nothing set.

The only two high probabilities right now are that Avs aren’t facing Vancouver in the 1st round and high chance not the oilers.

The Avs can statistically face against every other team in the west in the first round. And it wouldnt take much for it to happen.

Last edited:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
There’s pretty much nothing set.

The only two high probabilities right now are that Avs aren’t facing Vancouver in the 1st round and high chance not the oilers.

The Avs can statistically face against every other team in the west in the first round. And it would take much for it to happen.
this. Way too many games left for these mental gymnastics

Reactions: Pokecheque

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The only way we lose in the 1st few rounds is if Georgiev ruins it for us. Otherwise with a healthy lineup, no one is taking us out in 7.

This is where we might desperately miss Frankie. Who knows though, Annunen might channel the spirit of Cam Ward from 2006

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think the conversation was, correctly, that Seattle was the lesser team but there was definite concern about a bad match-up.
Everyone wanted Seattle last year including the Avs who did everything they could down the line to win the division just to face them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Vegas is the team I least want to face in the first round... they play a style the Avs just don't matchup well with, and they will have a better team game 1 of the playoffs than today. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but avoiding that immediate matchup is certainly preferred.

To me the order goes: Nashville-Winnipeg-Dallas-Vegas.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Vegas is the team I least want to face in the first round... they play a style the Avs just don't matchup well with, and they will have a better team game 1 of the playoffs than today. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but avoiding that immediate matchup is certainly preferred.

To me the order goes: Nashville-Winnipeg-Dallas-Vegas.

I agree with the order and would definitely split Nashville-Winnipeg as much more preferable as opposed to the Dallas-Vegas group.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Give me anybody except for Vegas.

Our speed, transition game, and depth can overcome any team, but Vegas every second night wears on us. I fear we'll be beaten to a pulp on the forecheck and endless cycling.
Which even if you get past Vegas, adds up down the line. Say for example... the Avs play Vegas and Dallas back to back, the team has likely taken a lot of abuse to that point. Going Vegas-Dallas-Edmonton-Florida would be a very tough route to the Cup with a lot of wear and tear.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Give me anybody except for Vegas.

Our speed, transition game, and depth can overcome any team, but Vegas every second night wears on us. I fear we'll be beaten to a pulp on the forecheck and endless cycling.
Vegas has been able in the past to completely shut down our transition game. Every time an Avs player would touch the puck there were 3 Vegas players on him and everything would fall apart. Unable to skate, unable to pass the puck...and Bednar has been unabled to adjust to this.

No other team has done that.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
The Vegas love is becoming a bit much for me.

Holy f*** ya’ll, do you want to just bend over now, or do it later?

They’re a great team, no doubt, but everyone talks about how they can pressure Colorado. Last time I checked, that’s Colorado’s game and this year, we’ve finally ditched the ineffective tiny guys in the bottom-6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad